Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Carbon bars – One Up or Nukeproof?
  • devash
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new set of carbon bars for my bike and the One Up bar appears to get the best reviews in terms of comfort and damping ability (which is what I’m after). However, the Nukeproof Horizon bars also get some pretty decent reviews and are a tad cheaper.

Any recent real world experience on either?

submarined
    Free Member

How wide do you like your bars?
    I’d be interested to hear from v2 users, but I have some 800 v1 carbon bars cut to just under 780, and with Deity knuckledusters and m6100 levers, the clamps are very close to the tapers. Something to be wary of. Hopefully they changed the design and moved the taper inwards some more.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not ridden either but if it’s any help, my gut would say One-Up. In fact, theyre specced on my current wish list build.

It’s only because there’s no denying that some thought has gone into those bars. I don’t know if the nukeproof is a unique bar from the ground up or a rebadged catalogue item from the far East.

mashr

Nukeproof V2 is a unique design, pretty different to anything else out there. Not tried them but do like my OneUps

bruneep

One up, hype is real. 👍

snotrag

I have the Nukeproof V2s in 31.8mm flavour. I was very tempted to go with the One-up for reasons as per above, however I’d have needed another stem too.

The Nukeproofs are really good though, way comfier than lots of others I’ve tried (Renthal!). No issues with clamp room on mine either.

So I’d say it depends what stem you currently have:

31.8mm – Nukeproof
    35mm – One-up

pickle
    Free Member

Been running One Up bars for over a year now, nice bars 👍

If they’re around the same price I’d go One up but always been impressed with NP horizon gear.

poah
    Free Member

I have the one up bars and the 35mm nukeproof alu ones. Both shapes are fine for me. Can’t tell you how the carbon NP one feels but the one up is superb.

P20

I’ve been running the nukeproofs following a PSA on here. I like them, light, comfy , nice shape

Northwind

I haven’t used the Oneup but I have Nukeproof V1 and V2 carbon. The V1 is just your standard budget bar, stiff-ish but competent. The V2 is imo very good- the shape is excellent and they have just that little bit more soft feeling than most, without being outright flexy. Very well judged. They don’t do anything amazing, to be fair- there’s no massive damping effect like some other bars claim- but they’re excellent “normal bars”

vmgscot

I have the Nukeproof v1 (31.8 x 780 cut x 35 rise) on both bikes for a while as I like the shape and feel. Just ordered another set for a new incoming bike as the current £45 sale price is not to be sniffed at.

devash
    Free Member

The One Up has been on my radar for a while as the stock ANVL bar on my Spur is a little too stiff for my liking. However, the Nukeproof bars are currently on sale at CRC / Wiggle so a good £40 cheaper than the One Up. Both would fit my current stem (35mm).

rootes1

Nukeproof 1/2price at CRC on moment:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-horizon-carbon-riser-bars/rp-prod158768

25 & 38

both in 31.8 clamp

alan1977
    Free Member

NP V1 and V2 are supposed to be very different bars
    i’ve got the v2 35mm cut to 780, they… are handlebars.. they honestly just become invisible in use
    apparently they have some funky shaping to prevent the backsweep actually ending up too far back…

dirkpitt74

Just had some of the Nukeproof V1’s delivered – look like a decent bar.
    Hoping to get them fitted and tried out over the weekend.
    A mate has the One-Up bars and likes them alot.

failedengineer

I’ve got the NP V2s in 35mm flavour. Made a big difference to the RF ally ones which were on before. Very comfortable indeed. The ‘special’ shape doesn’t seem to do much, though. My other bike has Renthal carbon bars and the NP ones seem comfier. Difficult to compare on very different bikes, though.

zerocool

If it was me I’d go One-Up for their supposed damping properties (if they’re real) as most carbon bars I’ve tried seem just too stiff. Can’t tell you if the V2 Horizon bars are stiff from personal experience, but a few reviews seem to think so, although the V2 shape and offset is supposed to be quite good.

The One-Ups come with different coloured graphics to match your bike if that’s your thing.

rhayter

Haven’t tried the Nukeproof but I’m running OneUp bars right now and they are really very good. Feel solid, but noticeably more comfortable than the RaceFace Turbine bars I was using previously.

singlespeedstu

A question for all you One-up users.
    Can you run a light bracket on them next to the stem?
    Or are they too ovalised for it to work?

Daffy

There seems to be plenty of space (25-40mm) either side of the stem before the ovalisation starts.

spooky_b329

I’ve got the OneUps on a rigid MTB. Wasn’t expecting much, but I rode down some steps and stopped to check if the front tyre was soft…it wasn’t. Later in the ride I realised it might have been the new bars taking the edge off.

So I suspect they do actually work but I imagine if you have suspension that will cover up most of the benefit.

I think the flattened section is just on the rise/taper as I’ve not noticed any issues attaching lights to them near the stem.

singlespeedstu

Thanks both.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

If anyone sees 35mm rise One-ups at decent price please post up.. long term looker and want to buy..

bruneep
    clubby

If anyone sees 35mm rise One-ups at decent price please post up.. long term looker and want to buy..

Never seen them reduced, but the 20twenty shop above is where I got mine. Nice wee rider owned shop.

Made a noticeable difference over the big standard alloy bars on my Whyte e150. Definitely not cheap, but I would say good value.

mboy
    Free Member

Not ridden the One Up’s, but nothing but love for the Nukeproof bars. Got them on all my MTB’s and have been running them for years. I’ve ridden all sorts of carbon bars over the years, most too stiff, some too flexy, many with not enough sweep, one or two with too much sweep.

I couldn’t care less if it’s a catalogue product rebadged (@ 1/2 price on CRC you’re paying less than a consumer direct product anyway!), for me they’re Goldilocks and have become a de-facto product I fit to all of my bikes as a result.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I too am a big fan of supple bars. Not tried the OneUps but my favourites are Syntace Vector carbon. Not cheap but excellent build quality and lovely feel. I have them on both my FS and rigid 29er.

I’ve also had the Nukes, which are a good value bar.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Went with the One Up bars in the end.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bars – One Up or Nukeproof?’ is closed to new replies.