Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Carbon bars different internal diameter to alu?
  • funkmasterp

In a bid to carry less crap on a ride I was going to use some tubeless repair worm holders that slot in to the bar ends. Won’t work on the Burgtec carbon bars I have though as the internal diameter is really small. Got some old Alu bars and they fit fine. Pity they’re the wrong shape/size.

Is this a thing across all carbon bars? Not a major hurdle as I’m planning to replace for some higher rise bars at some point any way. Anybody want to do a bar swap?

alexxx
    Free Member

not that i know about but my renthals look fairly thin

andyl
    Free Member

yeah, due to the specific properties (vs weight) and low density of CFRP you end up needing a thicker section for the same stiffness and strength but the all up weight is still lower.

Generally this has it’s benefits as stiffness vs thickness relationship is squared so you can really make a structure stiff but light but it can also have downsides in making things bulkier.

dhrider
    Free Member

Yep they’ll be approx 2-3mm smaller so a lot of in bar tools don’t fit.

funkmasterp

Thanks guys. Will probably sell them and get some Spank Vibrocore bars again.

Northwind

Yeah, carbon is light but you need more of it for the same strength so it’ll tend to make a thicker tube

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bars different internal diameter to alu?’ is closed to new replies.