Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Carbon bars and bar mounted lights?
  • bowglie

I’m talking about relatively heavy self contained lights like Exposure Max type.  New bike I’m getting has the option of Alu or carbon bars. I prefer the ride feel of a lot of carbon bars, but am wondering how wise it is to go clamping a chunky lights to them.  What do people think – stick with strong Alu? Has anyone on here had issues with clamping accessories to carbon bars?

Yak

It’s fine and nowhere near the clamping force of the stem and probably the grips.

marksnook
    Free Member

I use joystick carbon bars and an exposure Maxx d. Light mount is something like 3nm I think. I’ve never had a problem. Incidentally all the guys I ride with use carbon bars and exposure bar lights with no problems

scotroutes

It’s fine. Stop worrying.

MoreCashThanDash

No problems here.

cookeaa

Quality humblebrag OP letting us all know you can swing Teh carbon bars AND fancy lights all in one pretend worry thread… Top work.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No probs, however I now have a bit of heli tape on the bar where I mount the lights after scratching them with grit getting in the mount.

Purely cosmetic, no issue with integrity of the bars, but I dinnae like scratches on my lovely SC bars 🙈🤣

iainc

I worry about many things bike related but have honestly never given this s second thought ! Maxx D mount on carbon bars on 3 bikes..

bowglie

Spot on! Carbon it is.

Laughed at the humblebrag comment – you haven’t seen my ‘fancy’ light…it’s a very beaten up ancient ex rental that I picked up cheap.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about grabbing each end of your bars with your hands and riding them than clamping a light bracket to them. But then again I don’t worry about the first thing 🤣🤣

reluctantjumper

I wrap a loop or two of electrical tape round where the light clamps/bands on, it protects the finish and adds a bit of extra friction as both of my carbon bars (Renthal and Hope) are quite smooth in that area! Other than that I don’t give it a second thought.

kneed

Exposure lights come with ‘silicone band’ thingy to fit inside the clamp. I wasnt sure what it was for – you may have just answered that! Either way – they stay pretty solid with very litte clamping force ime so I wouldnt worry about it at all.

patagonian
    Free Member

I slid a piece of inner tube from a discarded road bike onto my bars. Protects against scratches and provides grip.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Maxxd here with carbon bars. Make sure you use the rubber band that comes with the light, means you don’t have to overtighten to ensure it stays attached.

Wally

Another Maxxd (second hand from here) on carbon bars – the soft red rubber band is a must.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Have used carbon bars for years and never worry about clamping stuff to the bars. Lights are no different.

I use carbon paste for proper clamps. A rubber band attachment, wouldn’t worry at all.

My Four4th light has proper clamp for light and battery. I do it up fairly secure else it can slip on a ride. Not a scratch on the bar and doesn’t worry me at all.

They’re just bars. Don’t worry about them.

bowglie

Thanks for the replies.  Crap excuse, but I was so tired when I wrote the original post, I didn’t explain what I was concerned about very well.  It was the clamping force required on gloss finish carbon bars.  I guess the lacquer finish is quite thick, but don’t want the clamp slipping around and scoring the bars near the stem. I’ve lost the original rubbery clamp liner, so using above recommendations, I’ll probably use a combination of a wrap of insulation tape and an offcut of inner tube to help it grip.

Thanks for suggestions👍

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Carbon bars and bar mounted lights?’ is closed to new replies.