• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Carbon 700c Disc Brake Fork With Rack Mounts?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hi all.
    I’m starting to quite enjoy my Roadrat now and am toying with upgrading a few bits such as some carbon forks to hopefully take the sting out the ride a bit vs the pig iron ones currently on it. As its my commuter though, full rack mounts for guards is a must but having had a quick look I can’t seem to find many options at all. Does anyone know of a recommended option? I’d have thought there must be a fair few CX type forks around that would fit the bill but I can’t find any!

Oh, and its the old 1.125″ straight steerer Roadrat.

Cheers
    Dave

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you go to the “charge plug 5 evay” thread google that ishow i find it every time.

In the last few pages someone has one

joshvegas
    Free Member

Possibly a genesis cdf fork.

The user is yokaiser but i cant find the post in which he states what it is.

It alsomaybe anywhere in the thread as its not in the last few pages thati can aee

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustyNissanPrairie

Lynsky Endurance is what you want. Ali steerer, carbon legs, mudguard eyelets. 1 1/8” disc mounts.
    Im running them on my Norco search for a year now – good fork.

a11y

I was in same situation with my Roadrat and went with an eXotic carbon fork, 425mm a-c (26” wheel size) and used plastics P-clips around fork leg to provide ‘eyelets’ for my full-length guards. Plus a SFN in the bottom of the steerer with an L-shaped bracket for the arch mount. Been like that for daily commuting including some rough stuff for over a year now – no issues whatsoever.

I fitted them, a) for something a bit more compliant than the original Roadhog steel fork, and b) for increased clearance to run a 700x47mm CX tyre on the front.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Nice work a11y – recently got a friend some v-brake versions of those forks and was wondering how to tackle mudguard mounting!

Consider your handy work well and truely copied!

scotroutes

DBW – if you can find a set of Bontrager Satellite carbon forks somewhere, they meet all of your specification.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. I’ll have a hunt for a set of Bonty forks. Exotics I’d considered but wanted something without the straight legs Pace-esque design. Fussy I know!

scotroutes

If the mounts are only for mudguards then the Lynskeys already mentioned or the Van Nicholas VNTs. Fatbirds sell both. The current Specialized Sirrus also has a suitable fork but you might have trouble sourcing a fork on its own.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Your other option is one of the Surly forks. I think it’s either the disc trucker or straggler fork that has the correct axle to crown measurement.
    They’re available after market for ~£120. eg Triton cycles.

The other factor in the ride quality I found was tyres (obviously). My last setup was 40C WTB nanos setup tubeless which fitted with the standard fork and frame and made the ride both more comfy but also crucially made the bike handle much more surely.

shermer75
    Free Member

Your other option is one of the Surly forks. I think it’s either the disc trucker or straggler fork that has the correct axle to crown measurement.
    They’re available after market for ~£120. eg Triton cycles.

OP is looking for carbon forks

shermer75
    Free Member

Good work a11y! There is something weirdly satisfying about bodging mudguards onto inappropriate forks and you’ve done a particularly good job there! 🙂

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

OP is looking for carbon forks

OP actually stated they wanted to “take the sting out the ride a bit” and while carbon forks may achieve this- another way is a better quality steel fork, the roadrat fork is fairly basic in construction. There are many higher quality steel forks that would achieve the stated aim without requiring exotic materials.

This is also why I mentioned tyres.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hi all. Thanks for the further replies. To be honest, I hadn’t considered a steel fork but I possibly would – its easier to find one that ticks the boxes and I’ve used Salsa Cromotos a number of times in the past… maybe another part of those might be an option.

Wheels/tyres I’ve thought about – I’m running quite a narrow tyre on the front at the minute and a wheel change along with something a bit bigger on the tyre front is also planned.

woody2000

Dave – I have some Surly Straggler forks on my Rat, they are v.comfy and have mounts for most things. Take up to a 2″ tyre easily so plenty of room.

Daffy
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 700c Disc Brake Fork With Rack Mounts?’ is closed to new replies.