Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Carbon 456 – how much seatpost can you run 'safely'?
  • hora
    Free Member

I mucho preferred the 16″ to the 18″ steel frame even though I’m 6ft1.

Looking at the chart I’m 3inches over the top end on the height chart for the 16″ carbon version. I have a monkey-like physique (33inch inside) and don’t like running too high a seatpost normally anyway. Hence why I was fine on the 16″ steel version.

What do you reckon? Could I get away with the 16″ carbon for seatpost extension as a 6footer?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

18″ will be more saleable

xraymtb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t. With a 16″ at 5’9 I’m already running a 400mm post at not far off max

shindiggy
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ 34inch inside leg and run a Thompson 410mm seat post at full length on an 18inch frame,

Get the 18inch.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 4 and 34″ inside leg. I ran a 350mm carbon post in a 20″ 456 and it was on the absolute limit. Changed to a 400mm alloy post and that was much better. I still struggle to get sufficient length with a 80 mm stem and an inch of layback on the post. I think you’ll struggle with a 16 frame.

thepodge
    Free Member

Dont do it, just run the Specialized

hora
    Free Member

Geo for carbon says its only 9mm longer medium to a large. That’s nowt?

Northwind

Aye, on-ones get taller but they don’t get much longer.

I’m 5’10 and I don’t think my 400mm seatpost would be long enough for a 16… Shame as I find the 18 a wee tiny bit long but there’s no major difference anyway

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

😯 I’ve just got a 16″ C456 frame and I’m 5’10” and 32″ inside leg, is there info on the website about max seatpost length etc? do I just buy the longest seatpost I can find or is there more to it than that?. I bought a 16″ cos that’s what my 456 Summer Season is.

hora
    Free Member

Wierd isn’t it. 16 feels just right. 18 feels slightly ungainly

renton
    Free Member

hora sell me your enduro frame cheap !!!

hora
    Free Member

That stumpy looks like a bargain at £300. Powdercoat it and it’d look the business.

renton
    Free Member

to small mate i need a large

hora
    Free Member

Ah. Ebay? One will come up. Its winter, people sell cheaper in winter! I wouldn’t sell my frame cheap as the previously owner sold it to me in as new/virtually unused condition.

hora
    Free Member

Peterpoddys is a 16- just confirmed by PP. I had a spin on that and it felt spot on.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

how long’s his seatpost?

druidh
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – Member
    how long’s his seatpost?

😆

hora
    Free Member

400 a Twelthy(?) On one. Or do you mean his ‘mans chap’? I don’t know him that well 😆

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Bregante

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What size seatpost does it take? If you go for the 16″, I have a Shannon MTB light seatpost thats 430mm x 31.6mm, may give you a bit extra if you need it?

hora
    Free Member

I’m going to see how much length Brant says is safe for say a lady rider

[Img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_s_EZKRCpW6g/SgMtGy4SFuI/AAAAAAAAAHw/uncIZ5L9ukI/s320/Sid+James+The+Carry+On+Films.jpg[/img]

druidh
    Free Member

Surely it’ll be like any other bike and it’ll work with any seatpost that extends to below the top-tube, seat-tube join?

If peterpoddys was so ideal, why don’t you just copy his?

ton

i ran a 400mm thomson in a 18” (too small for me) orange sub zero frame
    snapped the seatube clean off.
    16” is far too small for you hora.

hora
    Free Member

Ton the question was based around a 16″ steel 456 that I found spot on.

brant
    Free Member

I thought you didn’t like on-one because of something you won’t talk about on here?

bullheart
    Free Member

I thought you didn’t like on-one because of something you won’t talk about on here?

Autism, I reckon. He really doesn’t like to talk about autism.

ton

low that bullheart………….. 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Lack of availability?
    Missed deadlines?
    Poor customer service perhaps?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 – how much seatpost can you run 'safely'?’ is closed to new replies.