Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Car written off, what can I get for c.£4k?
  • hamishthecat

Yes, I know, another booooring tyre-kicker thread, but are there any sheepskin-coat-wearing motor experts who can advise on what I sould be able to get for around the £4k mark?

Got driven into by a neighbour in her FWD and while it is moderate frontal damage (bumper/valance, bonnet, wing and headlight) I'm pretty sure the Passat estate will be a write of as it has 215k on the clock.

I'd like to get another one, but what sort of miles and year should I be able to get for that sort of money? Looking for 130 bhp diesel. Don't seem to be many around affordable down here in Devon.

BigJohn

Mondeo Estate.

hamishthecat

Hmm, wondered about that. Will have to overcome some car snob tendencies though first 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nonk
    Free Member

said it before and say it again for that money you want an octavia.

chakaping
    Free Member

Try a Mondeo at least, it might well win you over.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

rather than go through your insurance and have the hassle of having to pay out your insurance give some one like http://www.europaconsultants.co.uk/

i used them when a van ran into the back of my MX5.

spooky_b329

Octavia is more expensive, and if you are coming from a Passat, you will find the boot is smaller. You'll probably be able to get a 130TDCi under 80k for £4k if you look round a bit.

hamishthecat

It'll go 50-50 – one car width lane, blind bend, no witnesses. I only just managed to stop and was stationary when she hit me. But won't count as no-fault, unfortunately.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Peugeot 406 (I like 407 better but the boot is smaller I'm told). 2.2HDi.

knott4me
    Free Member

volvo v4o .better build quality than ford better mpg on a 1.9 turbo & resale will be higher even on this low budget.

mondeos in fact all ford td smoke like hell even from new….they are also very bland even the ghia x is poor these days.

druidh
    Free Member

A nearly-new Toyota?

Drac

VW T4.

walla24
    Free Member

not at all helpfull….but you could get a really nice bike!

hamishthecat

LOL @ walla24. I'll have to borrow the money and a degree of marital disharmony might result if I spent it on another bike.

Had thought of Volvo but the smaller models seem to get a poor write up – crap gearboxes etc?

And yes, I do quite fancy a van, but I have to use the car for work and it might not create the right image…

mikeyd
    Free Member

Sorry to hear the Passat is dead Marcus…

I'll sell you the P*mpmobile for 4k?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Car written off, what can I get for c.£4k?’ is closed to new replies.