Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Car written off – going to salvage – what can I liberate?
  • 40mpg

My cars been written off following a non-fault accident. I’ve been offered a hysterically low valuation of it, currently still in discussion.

I need to collect some stuff left in the car (including Singletrack mags!), before the salvage company remove it from the repairers. I’m probably going to replace it with an identical car, how much can I remove from teh car itself?

I’ll have the leads for ipod connection and car mats, should I take the manual/service book? (not sure they’d be much use to me though).

What about the spare wheel, jack, warning triangle, stuff like that? TBH I’m getting a bit picky, but given the crap valuation, plus I’d just had new tyres and a full tank of gas, I’m inclined to take what I can.

trail_rat
    Free Member

youll be lucky to get more than personal effects.

my mate wasn’t even allowed his stereo.

but then greenpark garage in montrose were always a bunch of shysters – probably wanted the stereo for their own motor…..

jimdubleyou

What about the spare wheel, jack, warning triangle, stuff like that?

If this was me, I’d just end up with a spare wheel, jack, warning triangle, etc taking up room in the shed so I wouldn’t bother.

Cables & mats (assuming you will use them) are fair game.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    craigxxl
    Free Member

Take what you want and get them to revise their valuation. If they value the items taken at a high cost then query the original valuation being so low.

v8ninety

You know you don’t have to accept the insurance companies offer, don’t you? Also (I have no idea if this would work for you but) you can accept a slightly reduced offer and keep the car. With it on cosmetic write offs that you can repair cheapish or just don’t mind driving around with scrapes/dings wrong colour bumper etc.

hopkinsgm

As a general rule of thumb, if it was part of the original spec (or direct replacement for an item of original equipment, e.g. aftermarket wheels, etc…), then it’s part of the car and you shouldn’t be taking it. Stuff like CD’s, a collection of A-Z’s (is it just me these days…?), phone chargers, cables, non-integrated satnav, random crap in the boot, etc. is fair game

trail_rat
    Free Member

“You know you don’t have to accept the insurance companies offer, don’t you?”

You dont have too … but then they dont have to pay out and you can have the scrap car delivered (at your cost) to your house……..

Been going through this recently with a motorbike and my dad – was a new model bike – you cannot currently buy ANY bike of this make and model regardless of milage or age for less than 2 grand more than the insurance company will pay out.

went to osbudsman – they made it worse….

As i have said previously avoid ANY insurance underwritten by markerstudy as they are a law unto them selves – they are also based outwith the uk.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Accept the 9th offer from the insurance company. I’d take whatever of value you can from the car. Stereo, leads, mats, seat covers, liners, parcel shelf cover, manuals, headrests, car battery if its newish, spare wheel if the tyre is good. Anything.

gatsby
    Free Member

they are also based outwith the uk.

That’s twice I’ve read this word on STW today, what the hell is wrong with “outside”??

maccruiskeen

they are also based outwith the uk.

[quote]
    That’s twice I’ve read this word on STW today,[/quote]

Some of the people on STW live in scotland, which is within the UK but outwith england 🙂

An old colleague of mine had marks deducted from a masters thesis for using it, he was studying in scotland but the course was moderated by a college in england.

trail_rat
    Free Member
    bearnecessities

Reverse strategy – fill it up with all the crap you have that would be a hassle to dispose of. Old fridges, mattresses, absestos garage roof etc.

maccruiskeen

Actually theres a forumite with two oil drums of mystery toxic waste in their garden – are the local to the OP?

ourmaninthenorth

That’s twice I’ve read this word on STW today, what the hell is wrong with “outside”??

Predominantly found in Scottish usage and sometimes with English lawyers, i.e. a real word but usage limited to minority groups only.

gatsby
    Free Member

It means “beyond” rather than outside. So in that instance, “outside” would be far more appropriate.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So in that instance, “outside” would be far more appropriate. an alternative way of saying it.

and keeping it on top. bearnecessities – good plan 😀

Kryton57

Same happened to me 2 months ago.

I was asked to email a list of the effects I needed returning and their location in the car, which were returned to me by the garage in a bag.

They wont let you keep the manual of the service book – which made me suspicious so I filled in the V5 to write off the case asap.

Keep arguing the case for the payout, collect autotrader, pistonhead etc adds of the same car and have the evidence of todays sale value to present.

gatsby
    Free Member

So in that instance, “outside” would be far more appropriate. an alternative way of saying it.

Or “wrong” would be an alternative way of describing it… 😉

deepreddave
    Free Member

Been going through this recently with a motorbike and my dad – was a new model bike – you cannot currently buy ANY bike of this make and model regardless of milage or age for less than 2 grand more than the insurance company will pay out.

What’s the logic for that? What comparatives are they using? Would always expect a battle to get true value but surely they have to be able to evidence their value is realistic.

backofthepack
    Free Member

One thought, have you cancelled the road tax?, make sure you get a refund. Not sure how it works with the recent changes.

Kryton57

What’s the logic for that? What comparatives are they using? Would always expect a battle to get true value but surely they have to be able to evidence their value is realistic

That’s your job I’m afraid.

scaredypants

How ?

deepreddave
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

What’s the logic for that? What comparatives are they using? Would always expect a battle to get true value but surely they have to be able to evidence their value is realistic
    That’s your job I’m afraid.

Yes and it’s what I did in my case but trail rat is indicating that a similar bike can’t be bought for what they’re offering so I presume he had comparatives. It was a question to him rather than a general observation.

I did wonder if it was comparing to new as very aware they will compare to a second hand vehicle so you lose that “one owner from new and that was me” comfort.

senorj

Just let it go.
    I shed a tear when my Clio was taken.sniff.

Basil

Dependant on model
    Head rests sell well
    luggage covers are worth lots
    parcel shelves worth some money

konabunny
    Free Member

gatsby – Member
    It means “beyond” rather than outside. So in that instance, “outside” would be far more appropriate.
    POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

McCobblers. You didn’t read the link, did you?

This is the first part of the definition for outwith from the Dictionary of the Scots Language (DSL):
    A. prep. 1. a. Of position: Outside of (a place or boundary); on the far side of; beyond.

preposition
    (mainly Scottish) outside; beyond

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/outwith

boblo
    Free Member

Outwith is the limit for most sweaties when they’re making a point about their special, different language. It’s not Gaelic but it’s as near as most get 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Their logic was they had it valued – by a french assessor.

And then by a uk assessor after it was recovered.

Both gave low values. We gave them all the fata andeven said – you find us one for the price your offering and we will buy it.

They couldnt . But wouldnt shift on their offer hence we went to osbudsman.

Its a huge mess

I have zero respect for insurance now. Im not a violent person much but if this shower had been in arms reach id have been inclined to throw them about.

mick_r

tr – can’t believe you’ve had that hassle. I thought legally they had to put you back into the position you were in before the accident – approximately the same vehicle in similar condition / age / mileage. Anything else seems pretty hard to defend.

When our van got written off (was insured as “modified” because of seats etc), the assessor rang me up to ask what I thought it was worth! So I was able to accept their first offer 🙂

Visited it in the salvage yard to collect stuff. We had a small safe under the seat for travel docs, holiday money etc. No hassle with them dragging the car out so I could unbolt. Security was pretty high – but seemed they were more concerned with getting money out of people for release of police impounded cars…..

timber

From experience they will deduct for some non present items, such as stereo, so may be worth slotting any piece of junk back in, doesn’t have to work.
    Also pulled out all the mod’ parts and shoved original bits back in place. Few other bits and pieces that wouldn’t be noticed as parents had similar car, would’ve swapped the seats if they lived closer. Fair advantage in having the car recovered to a local garage we use, didn’t mind me stripping bits.
    Argued with the insurer, argued with the ombudsman, £200 became £1400, but still massively under value.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Trail rat – cheers and as mick says that seems totally out of order. Even more disappointing if the ombudsman thinks that’s OK.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

mine was written off after some bmw driver rear ended me on the m5

I checked auto trader etc for same reg and milage and Im happy with what I got. It would have replaced my car

just for perspective and I got all my personal affects back.

aracer
    Free Member

Many, many years ago when mine was written off it ended up in my possession with a deduction from my payment for the salvage value. By the time the insurance had been sorted out and I got rid of it I’d bought a replacement which took the same size tyres – the nearly new ones on the old car got swapped over, though I don’t think I bothered with the spare. Also swapped out the stereo. IIRC I didn’t quite get the deducted salvage value, but then it was only 10s of pounds and given the valuation was £1800 for a car I’d bought for £2k 18 months earlier I don’t think I did too badly.

The funny thing is that allowing for inflation, I paid more for that car (a 1.3 Astra) when I was a student than I did for my current TDCi Mondeo.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Car written off – going to salvage – what can I liberate?’ is closed to new replies.