Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • car tyre valve fitting question
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Has anyone got any idea if these work well

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDzZIop_uw[/video]

They look a bit different to the usual way but now i’ve seated the bead I can’t be arsed popping it off again, and as I need to buy the tool either way I might as well go the easy way if it works as well.

andyl
    Free Member

does the rubber bit definitely need changing or just the core?

sweepy
    Free Member

Def the rubber bit, if you push it sideways air comes out where it goes through the rim.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

If the rubber looks OK, not split or perished, then I would guess it’s more likely to be corrosion on the rim stopping it sealing.
    If that tool’s cheap enough, it would be worth a try, but I would expect to be taking the tyre back off and cleaning up the valve seating surface on the rim.

29erKeith
    Free Member

my local tyre fitters would pop the tyre off the bead, clean it up and stick a new proper valve in for £15. I can’t see you’re going to save much doing it diy, especially not if you might have to have it done again anyway as MTG said

globalti
    Free Member

Jesus! You mean you’re prepared to play fast and loose with a tyre valve? So what happens if it blows out at speed?

Get the tyre taken off and a proper, new valve inserted from inside the wheel. An independednt tyre fitter will charge you a tenner for the operation, including the new valve.

sweepy
    Free Member

The tool inserts a proper new valve, it just does it from outside without having to unseat the bead. If it works like the video says 🙂
    I have to buy a tool anyway, its just do I pop the bead and buy the traditional tool, or try this way. Its not really about saving money, and i’ll have to take it in for balancing anyway, its just to see if I can.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘car tyre valve fitting question’ is closed to new replies.