Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Car theft
  • RegP
    Free Member

I had a 61 plate BMW 3 series that was taken from outside my house on Friday night/Saturday Morning. Don’t think I will ever see it again or the kids seats and personal equipment in it.

Been told by the police that BMW’s and Audi’s have an issue at the moment where the keys can be cloned so guys be careful.

Bregante

Indeed and it’s been fairly well publicised but I wont go into exactly how it’s done. Best advice I can give is after locking your car using your remote ALWAYS go back to the car and try the door to make sure it is actually locked.

Drac
    Bregante

And OP, if you drop me an email I may have something at work which you can pass onto the force dealing with your case which may help get it recovered

RegP
    Free Member

It is not that it was not locked, they can just get a device to open it up and get around all the security etc.

Bregante

They need to access a panel inside the car.

Seriously drop me an email. I deal with these a lot.

allthegear
    Free Member

And OP, if you drop me an email I may have something at work which you can pass onto the force dealing with your case which may help get it recovered

The car??? 😉

Bregante

🙂

tonyg2003

Yep lots of reports of this with recent BMWs. It really put me off BMWs when I was looking at them recently.

RegP
    Free Member

Bregrate I have emailed your yahoo

Thanks

RegP
    Free Member

Tony, police told me Audi have the same issue, don’t know if that stretch a cross there whole car group thought!

BMW know of the problem but are not prepared to admit it!

Bregante

Reg. YGM

RegP
    Free Member

Russ. YGM

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@OP If you’re talking about the OBD cloned key issue where the the thieves take advantage of the alarm blackspot and use a key cloner to hack the OBD, that’s been fixed for at least two years on cars coming out of the factory so you must be really unlucky, do you know the build date of your car?

Anyway the fix is a free one, just call your BMW dealer and ask for the latest CAS security update, they will book it in.

Anyway be thankful the crims took the car the way they did – I once was mugged for my M5 keys, it wasn’t much fun.

Straightliner

There’s a very long thread on the BMW section of the Pistonheads forum about this, and yes, BMW finally introduced a ‘fix’ of sorts for existing owners of E60/E90 models from late 2006 onwards which requires a free software update at the dealers. For those who haven’t had this done, it is worth contacting your dealer as soon as possible.

The F model cars (i.e. newer versions) don’t appear to have the same problems, or at least not at the moment.

hora
    Free Member

Longshot but I wonder if anyone has (or will) take BMW to court for losses incurred through their product/negligence.

Class action? I bet there are rumblings.

wwaswas

Has the car been serviced recently?

yes, one would hate to think of the thieves having to get it serviced shortly after nicking it.

[edit] hora’s edit removes context of this…

hora
    Free Member

That wasn’t the angle – I was hypothesizing about someone within the main dealer cloning keys…but thats a different marque.

Drac

Anyway the fix is a free one, just call your BMW dealer and ask for the latest CAS security update, they will book it in.

He might have a problem doing that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any source on info relating to Audis? Seems to be a lot of rumour and conjecture. Is there a fix for it as for Beemers?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Car theft’ is closed to new replies.