Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Car Shelter/Tarp
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

Looking at getting a wee tarp that can fit onto Thule roof bars so when I’m solo camping in my wee one man tent I can still have an outside dry space for sitting out in. Will any tarp with poles do, is there anyone got something similar or can offer advice on setup

Cheers!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Decathlon do one with 2 poles, about 30 quid IIRC?.

grantyboy
    Free Member

yeah that’s what I was thinking

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I had something like this but home made for my old pickup truck. Mine was an old blue tarp – proper Gypsy-Chic

willard

Yeah, used a blue tarp for extra dry area out the back of my van. It had a tailgate so I just put it over the top, staked it down and had a decent awning area.

duncancallum

Top tip is washing line poles….

Cheap and telescopic

40mpg

I got something similar to This tarp from Go Outdoors a few years ago, only £30 and worked a treat to give a sheltered area in front of our tent.

Can be rigged a few different ways and poles are long enough to stand under.

nedrapier

Can be rigged a few different ways and poles are long enough to stand under.

but not if you’re getting on for 8 feet tall, like the disappointed giant hiker in their diagram.

willard

Hagrid’s had a tough time since those allegations from his time at Hogwarts

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I have that eurohike one linked above. It’s pretty much perfectly sized for going over a picnic bench. Ends are tapered in, so it’s not square (or rectangular) but would probably still work as a lean to type of tarp. Poles are elasticated, so only one pole height.

For the car we have a colemans classic awning. Looks like the one pictured above. Can go over back or side of the berlingo. It’s pretty huge though

db

When I was car camping regularly for work I went the whole 9 yards and got a F35pro roll out awning. Made life so much easier on wet days.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtD08ivYWR_jnWProciiALd0tDvt

More than you want to spend but the awning has lasted really well and is one of my favourite bits of kit.

timber

We use DD Tarps at work. Bunch of decent fastenings on the sheet. Held up by a whole bunch of paracord tied to anything nearby. If we need a pole, just grab a hazel stick out a hedge.

Not too pricey, not too flimsy, not too heavy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Car Shelter/Tarp’ is closed to new replies.