Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car servicing on Sunday. Bad idea.
  • tthew

Happy father’s Day to me. Servicing the daughters Fiat 500 and I’ve managed to damage a bit of the oil filter housing pulling the old cartridge out. I THINK it would be OK to go back on as is, but not worth the risk of spitting plastic bits into the engine if I’m wrong.

Bollocks. Hope I can source one tomorrow

hot_fiat

Ah joy. Yeah unlikely that ECP will stock anything other than the filter cart. Which engine?

reluctantjumper

Have done similar except I’d finished the job and the issue came when tidying up. Knocked a screwdriver off the slam panel only for it to fall exactly through a tiny gap and bounce off the new oil filter, putting a tiny hole in it! The oil slowly weeped out like one of those pricks you have when you give a small blood sample. You would think I could just put the old one on as a temporary fix but no, I’d mangled it getting it off. Cue a mad dash to the nearest Halfords for a new filter in my dad’s car as it was a Wednesday at 7pm and they were the only place open. Managed to save the day, just, but the embarrassment was very real the next day as I then had to drive to the same Halfords as I worked there and everyone knew what had happened with even a sweepstake running in whether I’d be in work.

Always do any car jobs now with a day free afterwards or at least first thing in the morning.

tthew

Which engine?

Twin Air. Nothing obvious on eBay or Amazon. I bloody hope a main dealer has one and it’s not one of them weird bits that takes weeks to come from Italy.

andrewh
    Free Member

Any scappies open on a Sunday?
    Or is it a sufficiently unusual engine that there won’t be any there if they are open?

hot_fiat

The housing is ally, did you mangle the threads on the cap?

tthew

Any scappies open on a Sunday?

I thought they’d all shut down around here, but my cousin informs me there’s one still going. Not open Sunday, but a plan if I can’t get one quickly.

did you mangle the threads on the cap?

No, damaged the clips and little guide cage inside getting the old filter out. My cuz is an ex-mechanic and agreed it’d probably be OK but err on the side of caution.

airvent
    Free Member

Those things are just stupid, what was wrong with a normal fully replaceable filter rather than the stupid reusable holders?

oldnick

You missed the triple word score of doing it on a bank holiday weekend with a family trip on the Monday.

I now follow reluctantjumper’s rule “Always do any car jobs now with a day free afterwards or at least first thing in the morning” which worked well yesterday when I was changing the brakes on my friend’s Vivaro, ECP had only given him one rear disc, when he drove my car to the local branch to buy another pair he came back the first time with a pair of fronts…

silasgreenback

Call your local motor factors in the morning. If they can’t get one then you’ll know it’ll be a main stealer jobby.

£726.37 plus VAT for that bit of plastic….bonded to the BIG metal housing you cant see underneath!

fossy

What a stupid design.

oldschool

You missed the triple word score of doing it on a bank holiday weekend with a family trip on the Monday.

@Molgrips
    will be along shortly for that prize. 😀

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have a Doblo. It was serviced on Thursday. For the second time the plastic oil filter housing wouldn’t seal after the filter was changed. I trust the guys that do it, and they don’t crank it up too tight, but that is the second one we have needed to replace.

fossy

Even with metal fully replaceable filters you have to be careful, especially if you’ve bought a used car and don’t know what monkey has previously fitted stuff. Brand new oil filter wasn’t threading onto our used Aygo, old filter had been on a long time (had new oil on purchase of car 6 months ago but not a filter). Had to be careful. Threaded ok in the end, but no force used.

tthew

I don’t know about it being a stupid design, the screw on canisters had their problems. It’s just really hard, (or I’ve not got the knack) to pull out the filters especially when they are covered in oil. I’ve done a few like it in the past and struggled, but this is the first time I’ve damaged one..

molgrips
    Free Member

Hello!

Have you bought a whole new car yet?

Trade Centre Wales is open longer than Halfords is, especially on Sundays.

duncancallum

If the filters sat correctly it’ll be irrelevant if the cage is there, it’s just if you can be sure enough by feel it’s sat on the “hole” correctly.

I’d expect main dealer only n a daft price.

You could try hills salvage if it’s mega bucks

tthew

Heh Molgrips. I might end up doing a bit of a detour to drop off on the way to work for a few days, but I’m buggered if I’m going the nuclear new car route – I’ve read your thread(s)! 😁

Really see it that way too Dunc, but I keep looping back to bits of plastic spaffed into the pump etc.

duncancallum

If the housings clear of bits How’s it going to chew them up?

Also I’d imagine it’s pumping through the centre of the filter and not pulling it up?

But I’d need to see a diagram to be sure I don’t take anything for granted

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.