Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car sellers and their "requirements"
  • themilo
    Free Member

Just wondering why I see so many private sellers stating “you’ll need tax and insurance or a trailer to take it away”? Now, I know we need these things but as a seller why would you give a monkeys once you’ve done the paperwork and have the cash?

bencooper
    Free Member

Filters out the idiots who win the auction, then are surprised they need a driving license to drive it away or something.

hora
    Free Member

I had a Peugeot 306 that stood for nearly two years on our drive. It fired up, started and ran with fresh fuel in and a battery jump. The VAG brigade will tell you French cars are no good but hey, you can’t change a narrow mind.

Anyway on the eBay and I was VERY clear car must be towed or trailed away and why. Guy turned up paid my missus, hopped in and drove it on the M60, over Saddleworth- to Huddersfield. I was miffed. Idiot.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Probably to protect themselves against what happened to one seller. I can’t find a link at the moment but he sold the car and didn’t cancel his insurance before the buyer took it away (possibly because the insurer’s office was closed). The buyer crashed it and was claimed against by a third party but had no insurance. The court decided that the sellers insurance was still in force, and (because it was a third party claim) had to pay out. The insurance company paid, but told the seller that he had permitted a person not on the policy to drive, and was therefore personally liable to reimburse them. Contrary to natural justice and fairness but apparently legally correct.

andyl
    Free Member

Tonadd to the insurance thing if someone gets flagged on an ANPR camera with no tax then the seller might have a ball ache sorting it out

trail_rat
    Free Member

That was motorbike greybeard

The guy didn’t even have a licence nedr mind insurance

The new owner had a crash and I think killed someone near my parents house.

The insurance had to pay out . And went after the previous owner for the money

cookeaa

That case, plus VED is no longer supposed to be transferable/go with the vehicle. As soon as you buy it you can ‘tax’ it online now.

firestarter
    Free Member

A guy turned up to pick up my brother in laws fireblade it was clear within seconds he didn’t know how to ride

jam-bo

Turning up would be good.

Mate of mine sold a car once on eBay, guy paid instantly via PayPal. Never heard from him again.

CountZero

Because, as several have pointed out, you need VED and Insurance to drive the car away, and VED is no longer transferable, it needs to be obtained by the person buying the car before they can legally drive it, but many are still unaware of this; the change came in earlier this year, IIRC.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car sellers and their "requirements"’ is closed to new replies.