Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car repair during lockdown
  • Futureboy77

Just back from a quick drive for some shopping and a coil has went on the car (annoyingly one which was replaced during its MOT last month – at a garage which is 45 miles away).

Would I be reasonable to ask the local garage to have a look at it during the current situation (I’m assuming they are still open as an MOT station)?

I wouldn’t be that bothered as I’m furloughed, but I need the car to see my kids who are about a twenty minute drive away, which as far as I’m aware is allowed under the lockdown – currently.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Is the repair essential to keeping the car roadworthy?

Yes.

So to answer your question, yes. Whether they will be able to accommodate you is another matter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are you Aberdeen based ? I know a couple garages doing essential repairs – who are good guys if you need a pointer.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yes, our local garage is open and our car is having a service and MOT next week as well as some other work to keep it road worthy.

Futureboy77

@trail_rat Laurencekirk, so taking it to Aberdeen is a bit of a stretch.

Cheers all.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry to be that guy, but if your kids are 20 minutes away, does that mean you’re not living with them? If so, then you shouldn’t be seeing them.

Or have I misunderstood to rules?

Edit. Seems I have. Like a man in orthopedic shoes, I stand corrected.

jimw
    Free Member

Or have I misunderstood to rules?

Yes, this was clarified last week, it is acceptable if sharing childcare, arrangements can continue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52018136

konagirl
    Free Member

Onzadog, it’s clearly allowed

Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’ homes.

OP, yes ensuring car is working / roadworthy is essential but as said finding somewhere available might be hard.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’ homes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Does anyone understand “the rules”?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mister P
    Does anyone understand “the rules”?

I’m sure they’re less clear than they could be. On this matter, I don’t have kids, so that’s my “Edinburgh defence”.

I’ve some friends, intelligent people who don’t consider themselves above the rules and would most likely be mortified to think they’d put anyone at risk. They found themselves at the supermarket this morning as a couple, and then missed the one way arrows.

bigdean

I was planning to get the clutch replaced at work before the lockdown, now it slips when you floor it. Luckily am barley using the car so will try to see it through.
    Trouble is a new clutch at a garage is more than the car is worth. If i had enough tools i’d attempt it on the drive.

spooky_b329

bigdean…may be more expensive than the car is worth…but if you replace the car, that will be even more expensive (and the clutch may go next month)

To the OP…coil pack is a fairly easy fix. Halfords drive-in might do it?

maccruiskeen

I had the whole back axle assembly replaced on my car on Monday (and I though it was only a bust spring 🙂 )

Garages are open as are their suppliers. Work load isn’t massive as a lot of people aren’t working / travelling its more a question of how the constraints of current working practices are effecting them and whether they are down of staff. Just be mindful of what their procedures are for drop off / pick up / payment and let them know you’re happy to defer to any customers who are key workers (as in my case the garage was close to a hospital of instance) .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car repair during lockdown’ is closed to new replies.