Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Car rental insurance – does it cover the other car?
  • Earl
    Free Member

I’m looking at buying some through Questor / icarhireinsurance etc…

I can’t see in the details that it covers the other car if I cause the accident.

Does any one know?

Del

you’re asking people you don’t know on an mtb forum about details of an insurance policy only you have seen? 😯 😆
    ask the providers!

Earl
    Free Member

All the providers are closed on the weekend unfortunately and I’m hiring tomorrow.

I just found this under General Exclusions:

Any loss or damage to a third party including bodily injury and property

So I guess the other vehicle is not covered?

sbob
    Free Member

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s excess insurance so it only covers the excess. The car will still have fully comp insurance (including 3rd party cover) from the hire company, just with a massive excess. The extra insurance you buy covers that bit.

Jamze

What risk are you looking to cover? It will be in the policy details.

My dad had a recent example of only realising when he needed it how the car insurance worked on a rental. His fault, did not give way when he should, hit another car who then hit a wall (everyone OK, phew!)

His rental insurance was the bog standard policy from Enterprise he just accepted at the desk – 3rd party cover only.
    He had to cover full cost of replacing a brand-new Astra.
    Luckily he had his own policy (prob similar to what you’re looking at) in place that covered up to £6k in costs, so he ended up having to pay the difference.

When I read the rental insurance in detail – it actually stated the policy was void if you were not driving with due care and attention – not sure how this works. If this is proven is your insurance invalid?

Anyway, he ended up paying about £4k in the end I think. Settled up direct with the owner of the wall, third-party was dealt with by insurance.

Earl
    Free Member

I see.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You’ll be fine; just look where you’re going.

deadkenny
    Free Member

They all have 3rd party cover. That’s the basic cover for car insurance (and legal requirement in the UK at least).

Covers claims against you from the 3rd party basically.

Damage to the car you own or hire if your fault then depends on any additional insurance to cover damage. Damage caused by a 3rd party will be a claim against their insurance.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Car rental insurance – does it cover the other car?’ is closed to new replies.