Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car Registration and your address
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Following on from another thread about getting caught speeding, I have a question about the legality of not keeping your V5 doc up to date.

I assume I’m right in thinking that a speeding ticket would go to the address the car is registered at rather than the address your licence in registered at (assuming you are not stopped at the time).

My car is registered to my parents address, simply because I’ve never got round to changing it. Is this illegal, given I’m still always contactable if I commit any offence? Don’t really want anything sent to my home address as its a flat and lots of stuff goes missing.

ta

irc

Yes, it would go to the reg keeper’s address not the driving licence address.

Might be covered by Vehicles Excise and Reg Act 1994 Sectio 43C Offence of using an incorrectly registered vehicle

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if, on a public road or in a public place, he uses a vehicle to which subsection (2) applies and in respect of which—

(a)the name and address of the keeper are not recorded in the register, or

(b)any of the particulars recorded in the register are incorrect.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/section/43C

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not an issue. As long as you still have access to it

Im the same. Reason beiing i work abroad. Police have never questioned this when ive been stopped

Trampus
    Free Member

So how do all these high flying multi-millionaire types, with several dozen homes from which they flit to and fro in any one of their fleet of vehicles, manage to cope, other than bribery to keep them from offending?

CountZero

So how do all these high flying multi-millionaire types, with several dozen homes from which they flit to and fro in any one of their fleet of vehicles, manage to cope, other than bribery to keep them from offending?

Well, as many of them have homes on different continents, flitting to and fro in a vehicle other than an aircraft or helicopter would be tricky, so it’s fairly obvious that vehicles in each country are registered at what would be the main address.
    There’s nothing hard to understand, anyone with several addresses in one country would have a main residence for the purpose of utility bills, etc. Friends of mine have a house in South Devon, but they’ve bought a house in Newquay, which will be their second home, I would guess that all car documents will be using the Devon address, obviously, as it’s their actual main residence. Same for anyone else; Sting, for example has homes all over the place, but his main home is Lake House, near Amesbury, so that’s where his cars would be registered to, the ones used in the UK.
    US ones would be registered to his New York home.
    Simples.

downshep

It is an issue and an offence. You want to drive a car? follow the rules.

Multiple homes? Pick one and monitor the mail. Bribery how?

This is a cycling forum, we are vulnerable, can’t understand the views above….

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t feel particularly vulnerable from the issue of someone registering their car at their parents address because mail sometimes goes missing from their flat.

I’ve got actual real stuff to worry about.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

downshep – Member

Certainly never crossed my mind that a someone who uses their parents address my be trying to kill me…

So long as you get your mail it will be fine

bikebouy
    Free Member

You must have an address in a country of residence, you can have multiple correspondence addresses, but only one residential address. It can be a PO Box number too.

HMRC demand a residential address.

bigblackshed

Multi millionaires will not directly own cars, etc. They will all be business vehicles registered as fleet, which they in turn will have access to. How do you think they insure them all?

OP. I don’t think Interpol will have you on a watch list, but insurance could become void if all of your documents don’t match up.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Another factor to consider would be where you’ve told your insurance company the car is kept.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are you on drugs downshep.

That is one high level of paranoia.

Mail like that goes to my parents who relay important info to me by email when im away- would you prefer i ignord it till i got home from arse end of no where in 6-8 weeks

Big black shed – insurance only care about address where car is kept. It has never been an issue for that when ive explained why

Only thing i will say is make sure all your lines of credit go to your electoral roll address

Flaperon

OP. I don’t think Interpol will have you on a watch list, but insurance could become void if all of your documents don’t match up.

No, it couldn’t.

nealglover
    Free Member

but insurance could become void if all of your documents don’t match up.

You will need to explain that one to me.

Why would they need to “match up” ??

Our Multivan has the registered keeper at one address.

Policy holder and two named drivers all at different addresses (none of which are the registered keeper)

And is kept at another address entirely.

The insurance are fine with it. No problem at all.

irc

You will need to explain that one to me.

Not disclosing relevent facts. If someone living in a high risk postcode area applies for insurance giving their parents address (or any other address) in a low risk area (or moves without telling them) the insurance company might use that as an excuse not to pay out. Probably not an issue for routine claims. For big claims they will scrutinise things closely. In the case of the OP they would have a starter for 10 in the fact his DL is at a different address.

tpbiker
    Free Member

my insurance is all based at my address, as thats where I keep the car. Parents address is only for registration. Think I’ll leave it where it is for now.

As for this…

Get a grip.

maccruiskeen

Not disclosing relevent facts. If someone living in a high risk postcode area applies for insurance giving their parents address (or any other address) in a low risk area

But thats not whats being said. The registered keeper – the name and address on the V5 is the person who is legally responsible for the vehicle. That might not necessarily the person who is driving it at any moment or at all or where the vehicle is kept. Your insurer will want to know where the vehicle is normally kept – thats a different question to who or where the keeper is.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

mie is the oher wa round, my ca s registered at m address but my licence i still registered at myparents house from when i irst passedover twenty years ago !! never got round to changing it lol

nealglover
    Free Member

Not disclosing relevent facts. If someone living in a high risk postcode area applies for insurance giving their parents address (or any other address) in a low risk area (or moves without telling them) the insurance company might use that as an excuse not to pay out. Probably not an issue for routine claims. For big claims they will scrutinise things closely. In the case of the OP they would have a starter for 10 in the fact his DL is at a different address.

What’s all that got to do with anything ?

A) that’s not what the OP is doing.
    B) you quoted me in your post, and that’s nothing to do with what I was talking about either.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car Registration and your address’ is closed to new replies.