• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Del.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Car problem
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Hi

A couple of weeks back i had an issue with my car ( i had just been given it)

So its now fixed – however the tax disc has expired, the MOT has expired too. And its not insured…

SO to get a Tax disc its needs to have an MOT – but i cant legally drive it there as there is no tax and no insurance. I dont want to insure it to find it fails the MOT for some reason.

So what are my options ? If i was stopped by the police would i get let of or would they go to town on me ?

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Breakdown truck

Offroading
    Free Member

Well thats an option but i had to use one recently for something else and it was £50 for a quick 10 minute trip.

ski
    Free Member

I thought you could as long as its a pre-arranged MOT and you have insurance, I could be wrong though?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Pre-book the MOT, you are legally allowed to drive your car directly to the test centre for the purposes of getting it MOTd.
    Regarding insurance, do a web search for one day insurance, it should cost about a tenner.

Hope that’s helpful.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got a 306 sat on my drive. Local MOT centre knows the details and says they have insurance to pickup and drive car to station. They cant lie or ‘wing it’ can they now?!!

techsmechs
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure you can insure it, book an MOT and you can drive it too and from the MOT station. Then you can tax it.

Check with the MOT station they should be able to tell you.

stumpy01

There is no ‘legal’ reason for you not having insurance and can you not get short policies from some insurance providers for just this kind of thing?

Then when you get insurance, I think that you are allowed to drive the car on the road without tax so long as you have booked it into a place for an MOT and are merely driving it to that test – but probably best to confirm that for sure from the DVLA or something.

I am sure if you have insurance and you have an appointment for an MOT and get stopped driving to that appointment the police will be fine. Perhaps.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Arrange temporary insurance (£20ish for a day or two. Norwich Union/Aviva offer it, so it’s all legit)
    Drive it to PRE-BOOKED MOT.
    Pass/Fail.
    Drive home. If pass, insure properly. If fail, act accordingly.
    With insurance and MOT, get tax.

Keep the paperwork with you andn pre-book the MOT. If you get stopped, produce and explain. You’ll have no trouble PROVIDED you’re not doing anything else other than the insure/MOT/tax routine 🙂

The vehicle/driver need(s) (TP minimum) insurance at all times when on the road.
    You can drive on the road without an MOT provided you’re driving to/from pre-booked MOT test/place of repair/home.

Offroading
    Free Member

Ah cool – didnt know that.

So if i were to get my father to drive it there who has fully comp insurance thus is insured on it would i be sorted ?

techsmechs
    Free Member

Erm, pass.

Check with his insurance co. Possibly.

Offroading
    Free Member

Reason i dont want to get even a short insurance stint is that being under 25 and obviously a ragging mental head according to the insurance companies it’s not cheap to do so something that might fail.

Jimbo
    Free Member

No. The vehicle itself needs insurance. As an example, if he were to park on the road and step out of the vehicle, then the vehicle would be on the road without insurance, leaving the registered keeper liable, IIRC.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Temp insurance is easy: have you contacted the likes of dayinsure.com? Cost me £20 a day for my car aged 25.

tinsy
    Free Member

Jimbo is right, you can usually drive other vehicles if your fully comp but the other car does need to be insured by someone for it to count.

Offroading
    Free Member

Hmm ok. Its declared SORN at the momment too if that makes a difference ?

Dayinsure is for 23 + only like most places…. (Im 21)

nickc

Get your dad to insure it for the day?

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Get your old man to insure it for the day and take it for its pre booked MOT. or ask the garage if they will collect as they should have traders insurance

Offroading
    Free Member

OK sounds like an option.

Thanks very much everyone.

takisawa2

Insure it.
    Then book a years worth of MOT’s at various garages all over the country.
    Job done.

ski
    Free Member

Insure it.
    Then book a years worth of MOT’s at various garages all over the country.
    Job done.

LOL

As long as you are not caught driving in the opposite direction to the MOT centre.

Nice try though 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Or alternatively, insure it for the year and then cancel it within a fortnight – thus only losing the admin fee they charge, usually around £30 or so. That would mean paying upfront though, and it’ll take a while to get the refund credited back onto your card.

Junkyard
    Free Member

iirc you cannot take a SORN vehicle on the road as you have declared it off road via SORN.
    For MOT tow the thing there + back with your Dads car does not require Insurance or Tax or get the centre to do it but you will pay
    CHECK SORN though

Del

just get the garage to pick it up. it may sound like a lot of money ‘for nothing’, but if you can afford an MOT you can afford that, and it could save a LOT of grief if something goes wrong.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Car problem’ is closed to new replies.