Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Car parts quality
  • matt_outandabout

My V70 need timing belt etc at next service. My garage is happy for me to supply parts, and I often save a few quid this way.

Being timing belt & tensioner, auxiliary belt and tensioner, I want them to be good ones…

Is there any quality difference between the brands that are popping up – Gates, Contibelt (Continental), INA, SKF and Bosch?

I know to avoid one’s I haven’t head of like Dayco and Stark.

wwaswas

My 2p – for critical engine components I’d go for supply and fit. If there’s a subsequent failure everyone knows who you’re to talk to and if there’s any issues with parts not fitting/kits being incomplete you’ll lose money on extra labour costs than you save on parts.

PePPeR

As he says above… 😀 

johnners
    Free Member

Yeah, as above. IIRC you’ve got a garage you trust, so go for supply and fit. I’d have thought the savings would be relatively trivial on a job like timing belt where most of the cost’s labour anyway.

granny_ring

I think Gates are supposed to be good quality I’ve been told.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’d agree with the above – especially on a timing belt.

youll get run round hte houses if something fails with each blaming the other.

matt_outandabout

Ok, cheers all.

Greybeard
    Free Member

As above, plus the garage will be able to buy the parts more cheaply then you can.

I bought some building materials for a project at home and thought that because I had a trade card from the merchants I was getting them at a good price. Speaking to the builder who’s just finished some work on my roof that I didn’t fancy trying myself, he could have bought them for about 60% of what I paid.

MikeG

Gates or SKF are the best brands for timing belts (gates belt kits will likely contain skf bearings and tensioners and vice versa) but as said above I’d get the garage to supply and fit as if there are any problems, ie your engine goes bang very expensively, you don’t want the garage saying they wont warranty the work as the part you supplied was faulty or the belt manufacturer rejecting a claim because it wasn’t fitted correctly.

When I used to run a motor factors I saw far too many disputes like that.

I’d also be surprised if you’d be saving more than £30 or so by supplying parts yourself.

duncancallum

Dayco is fine as well. I prefer gates but that’s just me.

RustyNissanPrairie

Dayco and INA are OEM supply for Volvo. gates and Conti are ok but Volvo do timing belt kits for pretty much the same amount as Eurocarparts.

There is a Volvo dealers on eBay (can’t remember their name at moment) that have a proper bricks and mortar dealership down south somewhere that do brake and timing belt kits.

I’ve done the last two timing belts on my 2.4 V70 and used the genuine kits. Comes with a natty metalised reminder sticker.

Use your VIN number when ordering as there are a few tensioner changes.

mattyfez

Yeh as above, the parts are cheap as chips, relatively speaking .. it’s only an expensive job because of the labour cost, so don’t penny pinch on the parts.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Gates

^^^^^ yup.

matt_outandabout

garage will be able to buy the parts more cheaply then you can.

On the contrary.

Even my (good) Indy buys parts because they can get them safe day.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Gates timing belt kits with water pump for my car vary from £80 to £307, with my garage quoting £200ish. </span>

Being the V70 its supposedly a 70min job. Apparently one of the easiest to do, with access hatches in wheel arch etc.

oldtennisshoes

I’d still take the £120 hit. The garage may still be tempted to recoup any missed margin on the parts by charging for more labour than necessary. Maybe worth it on a non critical part, but if the engine does go bang after a failed belt it may all get a bit chuckle brothers.

mattyfez

A 70min job?

Is your local garage the mclaren F1 pit crew?

RustyNissanPrairie

For the cost difference in parts Vs the cost of a replacement engine just go with genuine Volvo – they are quite decent cost wise both from my local dealer and the eBay outlet.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Matt you need to go onto the Volvo Forum as its a mine of useful information. http://www.volvoforum.org.uk

Make sure that you get the aux belt and tensioner done at the same time.

Last time i bought a tensioner from Volvo it was an INA one in a Volvo box.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had the timing belt on my Mondy done a few months ago & the garage fitted Dayco stuff cos that’s what they use. Another garage also recommended Dayco.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Car parts quality’ is closed to new replies.