Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car parts- how to make sure you get the right bits?
  • hopefiendboy

Got a Citroen Berlingo- and need to replace a few things like front springs/drop links etc myself

Now, when you put the reg no in sites such as EuroCarParts etc you get a whole host of options. I’d rather not end up getting stuck into a job then finding out the part I have ordered is the WRONG item…..

What way do you recommend to ensure as best as possible that this doesnt happen?

Cheers in advance

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Europarts and GSF ‘normally’ recommend the correct parts based on the details for the car. For something mass market like the Berlingo there will be many options for the same part. They will all do the same thing but with different quality and price.

If you were buying a new rear mech for your mountain bike there would be hundreds of options if you just searched for rear mech. You can narrow this by saying MTB and narrow it further by specifying 11 speed or what ever but there will still be many options.

I normally find out what they recommend and then Google for reviews to make sure it is not a crap brand

Marko

If I’m not sure I use the ‘chat’ feature, but then I tend to use GSF, not ECP (or I check on both). GSF seem to list more premium brands, but ECP are better for CV boots as they carry the GKN-Lobro ones which are the best aftermarket ones.

I did have a round of email tennis with GSF recently over a wrongly listed part. They only showed one rear wiper for the vehicle under the reg number, but claimed that it might fit a version, so that was why it was listed. After a few ‘rallies’ they conceded and I kept the part and got a refund.

Moral of the story is use the chat line to confirm if you have doubts and don’t get the ‘economy’ parts. Stick to the names that supply OE stuff.

spooky_b329

Selecting a pattern part and putting it in your own branded box is why there are about 15 different options for each part. Even the recognisable brands are at it but might put in better (aka red) bushes.

I tend to buy the parts and then try and compare them to the parts I am about to remove before I get too stuck in.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Also make sure you get discount codes for either. These only work online. I went into Europarts as I was apssing to pick up something like an oil filter and they wanted £15 so I stood in front of them, ordered it on my phone and they gat it me for £7. Apparently they cannot give the same in store discout

revs1972
    Free Member

If there are a couple of options, buy them all and take back the ones that are not correct. Sometimes, until the part is off the car you don’t know

mick_r

Parts vans are going round the garages twice a day. Local little parts shop gets the same stuff. Ring first thing and they have it before lunch. Compare to what is on car – if wrong they have a swap on the second van by 3pm. Usually same price as ECP with all the “discount” codes applied.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Another thing to watch for is special parts for the seller. For example the Sachs shock springs I ordered from ECP didn’t conform to the part numbers in the Sachs catalogue. When I emailed Sachs to query this they told me ECP ordered to their own spec direct from Germany and had nothing to do with the Sachs stuff distributed in the UK.

It’s also a pain in the hole trying to return stuff if you get it posted from Carparts4Less (ECP even more discounted site). If you have a decent factors locally I’d speak to them first. Find out what brands they stock then check the manufacturers catalogue for the correct part number.

RustyNissanPrairie

@squirrelking

It’s also a pain in the hole trying to return stuff if you get it posted from Carparts4Less (ECP even more discounted site).

You can return it to a ECP store. I’ve done it a few times.

To the OP – try and figure out what is OEM for your car, my consumables are usually Lemforder/GKN Lobro/Corteco but generally avoid the cheapest stuff on ECP and look more towards their dearest.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You can return it to a ECP store. I’ve done it a few times.

Huh, didn’t give me the option recently, I thought you used to be able to.

jeffl

ECP have a fitment details tab/section which will usually tell you some additional information. For example mine needed a DMF last week, two options with different diameters.

Similarly a replacement rear light cluster, had two options of either standard filament lamps or LED.

Some things are obvious but others you may need to measure or remove the part to be replaced. It’s the joy of manufacturers tweaking things each manufacturing year.

I had a kit car with a hodge podge A Series engine. Was always fun getting engine parts for that as there was no way to identify which particular version of some parts was required, unless you measured it.

If you want to pay full whack then the dealers part dept. may be able to get it right more of the time, if you give them the VIN or engine number.

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’s the joy of manufacturers tweaking things each manufacturing year.

Or in the case of Citroen/Peugeot, whenever the hell they feel like it. For example there are three different hand brakes and two exhaust configurations across two electrically different versions of the C8/807, none of which happen at the same time of production. You need an M number or something and access to the PSA parts database at about 7 euro an hour (which is no longer free for enthusiasts) before you can determine the correct oem part number.

Phil_H

It’s also a pain in the hole trying to return stuff if you get it posted from Carparts4Less

That shower of ****!
    They sent me the wrong part (Lhs wing mirror in an rhs box)
    I told them & sent it back and asked for the right one.
    They waited for it to arrive, put it back on the shelf then sent it back to me.
    I sent it back again.
    They waited for it to arrive, put it back on the shelf then sent it back to me.
    I sent it back and bought one somewhere else.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car parts- how to make sure you get the right bits?’ is closed to new replies.