Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Car park bike stand
  • escrs
    Free Member

New car means no longer leaving the bike propped up against the car’s rear wheel, bumper etc…

So i need a bike stand for car park use only

Needs to be as small as possible as it will live in my bike bag, would prefer a crank arm/pedal mounted type not a wheel type one you see in bike shops or one which uses the cranks hollow axle (my e mtb dose’nt have a big enough hole) also must be able to handle uneven surfaces

Happy to spend up to £30ish

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Andystand

escrs
    Free Member

Andystand

Please re read my first post

That kind of stand wont work with my crank and its over budget!

simondbarnes

Just fit a kickstand to the bike

escrs
    Free Member

Just fit a kickstand to the bike

I knew someone would suggest that!

No kickstands, needs to be pedal or crank arm mounted, quick and easy to install and remove along with taking up little space

So far ive found this Topeak one

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Flash-Stand-Fat_43441.htm?sku=111181&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXpdm0dLi6Yu5NdYyYE0OaBHcCxaKl6u_fBfsc8y2co9P6zIRSONR5BoCoaoQAvD_BwE

twistedpencil

Odpod bike stand. I got one for my sons bmx, and have now liberated it for the mtb.  Not great for maintenance, but do the trick at holding the bike upright.

dhrider
    Free Member

Why are you carrying the stand with you and why not carefully set the bike on the ground (driveside facing up obviously)?

escrs
    Free Member

Odpod bike stand

Cheers but that is far too big, needs to be able to fit in my bike back pack easily, its not needed for maintenance, its purely something to hold my bike up whilst i get my kit on rather than leaving the bike on the floor or propping it up against the car

So far the Topeak flashstand fat is the most suitable

escrs
    Free Member

Why are you carrying the stand with you and why not carefully set the bike on the ground (driveside facing up obviously)?

Stand needs to go in my bag so it doesn’t get forgotten (all my kit is in the bag so i just need to grab the bike and bag and im good to go)

I dont like laying the bike down especially in car parks, have seen two bikes get driven over by people reversing in and out of spaces and not seeing a bike laying on the floor whilst the bike’s owner’s back was turned/was chatting to someone else

iolo
    Free Member

I dont like laying the bike down especially in car parks, have seen two bikes get driven over by people reversing in and out of spaces and not seeing a bike laying on the floor whilst the bike’s owner’s back was turned/was chatting to someone else

Maybe just lay it where no cars might be driving?

simondbarnes

Where do you put your bike when you’re putting the bike stand back in the car before riding?

FB-ATB

I got the Topeak flash stand for the same reason. I’ve had it 15 years so not sure if the design has changed. It was fine for smaller framed XC bikes but the look arm that goes around the down tube struggles with fatter ones.

ETA just looked at the page linked to, rather just read “flash stand” in the link.

It’s a different design to mine.
    My one holds the bike by the bottom bracket and arm on the down tube.

thols2

its purely something to hold my bike up whilst i get my kit on rather than leaving the bike on the floor or propping it up against the car

Lay the bike down somewhere where it won’t get run over, or lean it against something that isn’t your car. (What do you do when you take a break out on a ride?)

kelron
    Free Member

This is cute.

cookeaa

The answer is of course a stick, See previous thread on reinventing the stick, specifically for propping up a bicycle…

But yeah, if you’re too precious to lay a bike on the ground or against your Audi, prop it up with a stick if some sort…

MoreCashThanDash

I’m still struggling personally to see a problem, let alone a solution, but it would be a dull world if we were all the same.

CheesybeanZ

Where do you put your bike when you’re putting the bike stand back in the car before riding?

+1 .

escrs
    Free Member

Maybe just lay it where no cars might be driving?

Funny thing is car parks have cars coming and going!

The two bikes i saw get run over were fine till a car came along and didn’t see them!

Id be sat on the bike or at least holding on to it, small stand can just be placed in the boot and the boot closed, the stand is only to keep the bike upright whist i kit up

Lay the bike down somewhere where it won’t get run over, or lean it against something that isn’t your car. (What do you do when you take a break out on a ride?)

Its a car park, cars come and go so chances are someone wont see it and run it over, there’s nowhere to lean it up against that isn’t my car unless your in the same car park and dont mind me leaning it against your car?

When im out on a ride i have no issue laying the bike on the floor as you tend not to get cars out on the trail!

The answer is of course a stick

Yes your right but id like something a little nicer that’s designed for the job

I could get my Man servant to come along and hold the bike whilst i kit up but he tends to get bored standing there whilst im out on the trails plus he has other duties back at home to be getting on with

I’m still struggling personally to see a problem, let alone a solution, but it would be a dull world if we were all the same.

I personally have seen the problem twice, bike laid on the floor, car reversing and not seeing the bike and running it over, just want something to prop the bike upright whilst i get ready and makes it visible to numpties who cant reverse properly!

+1 .

See above comment about being sat on the bike

breadcrumb

Get kitted up then remove the bike from the car, no need for it to be lying down or propped up that way.

escrs
    Free Member

Get kitted up then remove the bike from the car

That is an option and im surprised its taken someone this long to suggest it!

Id rather still have a stand as it just makes things easier especially if i have to faff around after a ride

Will buy the Topeak flash stand fat as there seems to be no alternatives that fit my needs

Cheers for all your suggestions, replies

twistedpencil

Leave the stand in the boot of the car so it doesn’t get forgotten? Odpods lay flat… I always have spare tubes and tools in the boot in case I forget something.

sirromj

duck tape some bricks together

mlltt

https://www.allmountainstyle.com/products/ams-kickstand-black

Seems your not the only person that can’t lie their bike on the ground.

escrs
    Free Member

Leave the stand in the boot of the car so it doesn’t get forgotten? Odpods lay flat… I always have spare tubes and tools in the boot in case I forget something.

Nothing gets left in my boot as anything left in there tends to get thrown about when driving round bends when giving it some beans in the car, i learnt this the messy way when i left a can of coke in the boot that somehow got punctured and started spray coke all over the boot lol

See above reason!

Seems your not the only person that can’t lie their bike on the ground.

Cheers, reading the reviews it seems its not very stable

Going for the Topeak flash stand fat as that ticks all my boxes

thols2

The two bikes i saw get run over were fine till a car came along and didn’t see them!

1. It was the drivers that didn’t see the bikes, not the cars.
    2. If a driver can’t see a bike that is lying down in a carpark, they’re probably not going to see one that is standing up either unless you do something silly like laying it down behind their car.

peekay

If you want to buy something with the functional properties of a stick, but ‘purpose built’ then I can cut a stick to any length that you want (up to 30cm) and post it to you for £25. £30 gets you a tanalised timber baton for increased longevity. I can customise further by writing your name on it for £5.

Email address in my profile if you don’t want to discuss business in public.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

This is why it needs to fit in his backpack, so it can be whipped out and placed under the bike whilst everyone stops for a their energy bar

DickBarton

Drive the car along some muddy roads and you won’t worry about sticking a wheel against a car wheel.
    Have never considered this and have never seen anyone else worrying to this degree about something that doesn’t seem to exist for most riders. Stick car between bumper and fence so no car will drive over it. Stick it on ground with rear wheel under your car so the rest of bike is out of way of other cars.
    Leave bike on car until you are ready to go and just do that…unless you are arriving in a T6 or Q7 then there are plenty other things to focus on than this…
    If you have to do this though…one of the rack things that Halfords sells with a spring arm that you stick wheel in. I think it is about 20 quid and will do the trick. Probably too big for a bag but just leave it in the car under the passenger seat so easy enough to get and won’t slide about when you forget about the corners (where it will stay after you’ve had the car a month as you realise you are being careful without being anal…😉)
    Like this – https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-storage-solutions/bikehut-universal-bike-stand-375378.html

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies but the Topeak one has been ordered

igm

Lean saddle against the light cluster.

No noticeable damage.

spooky_b329

Lean saddle against the light cluster.

I did that. Then I shut the boot…and snapped the corner off. That was a quick reminder that the Citroen BX had a fibreglass boot!

fatbikedog
    Free Member

FJM custom stands. Way out of your budget but a quality price of kit.

holdsteady

I saw a bloke with what appeared to be a cube of foam approx 30cm x30cm with a hole on it that he put on the end of his handlebars to lean against his campervan, so it’s not just the OP who is anal about these things

scc999

sirromj

Winner so far! Well done.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ride to the carpark?

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Put the bike upside down

dusterbenny
    Free Member

A good friend of mine has been making and selling a few of these for just the job, and they fold flat to store in the car boot, etc. Designed and hand-built in Sussex. If anyone’s interested let me know and I can put you in touch.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Looks good Dusterbenny, I’ve been looking at the FJM ones but this looks good too.
    interesting that he can do custom fit for the cranks, not sure mine is catered for normally.

Interested in some more info please.
    Thanks.

dusterbenny
    Free Member

Drop me a pm with your contact email or whichever contact details you prefer and I shall put you in touch with Dan.

panzerjager
    Free Member

PM sent.
    Thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Car park bike stand’ is closed to new replies.