Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Car owner stereotypes alive and well at Center Parcs!
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

I always look forward to the early morning Dad walk on the last morning. Loads of men (myself included), trudging along in the pitch black at 7am (in December) to the car park to get the car back so you can get parked somewhere vaguely close to your lodge.
    It’s the little nods of acknowledgment and solidarity that make it special.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Interesting regarding the no cars idea, we went to a mostly Dutch campsite in Germany last year and despite cars being allowed on site they were relatively infrequent sights and never caused any issues. Perhaps it says more about us as a nation than it does about the owners of certain cars.

Yip, we did too, despite the place being full of folk who looked as if they’d never cycled before, there was no issues with cars and bikes the full week we were there. I think a lot of that is down to the fact that most folk parked their cars up and never felt the need to use them all week. At CP here, you could guarantee that folk in the lodges a bit further out, like a whole half mile away, would drive to the pool/centre if they could.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Top tip btw, for those that haven’t been – arrive and park up at 10am, get a full day in the pool etc before the check in rush at 3, same again at the end, stay till 3pm on last day.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m assuming that the only people who go to centre Parcs have kids yeah? I mean it sounds utterly horrific, but what do they do outside school holidays?

mashr

tpbiker

I’m assuming that the only people who go to centre Parcs have kids yeah?

You would think, but i have seen young couples making a terrible mistake!

nickewen
    Free Member

Absolutely howling at some of the comments, thanks for the responses all! 😂

We went to Center Parcs for the 1st time a couple years back with my side of the family and I wasn’t sure it was for me.. Now I’m an absolute convert – despite my OP full of shite, boring and judgmental patter I really do enjoy it, even sitting in the front room of the lodge tutting at all the people I outlined on the previous page.

I totally agree with the comments above re. car use – I’m absolutely certain some people would drive to the pool if it was allowed. It’s so nice not having cars cutting about the place 24/7. I live on a main road, albeit in a 20mph zone and you don’t realise the extent of noise pollution from motorised vehicles until it’s taken away for a week.

Our daughter is only 9months old so we’re taking advantage of the cheaper rates for the moment.. once she’s in school any tips on where to go for a nice swinging holiday in the UK? Any links to that mumsnet thread?

johndoh
    Free Member

We’re going to Center Parcs soon. With my mother-in-law and father-in-law. I had no idea.

:-O

Drac

We’re going to Center Parcs soon. With my mother-in-law and father-in-law. I had no idea.

I bet they do.

chestrockwell

I mean it sounds utterly horrific, but what do they do outside school holidays?

Cater for families of non school age kids. That’s when we went. Plenty of people obviously take their children out of school too.

Klunk
    Free Member

Car owner stereotypes alive and well at Center Parcs CyB!

FIFY

though would have to add
    >BMW driver who likes to boast of doing 150 past the turnoff on social media.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m assuming that the only people who go to centre Parcs have kids yeah? I mean it sounds utterly horrific, but what do they do outside school holidays?

TripAdvisor suggest the same types that take their wife for a date at the Oxo tower.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Car owner stereotypes alive and well at Center Parcs CyB!

Surely no-one drives a car to CyB? I thought it was all Volkswagen T5 / T6 or Ford Transit Customs these days?

binners

Surely no-one drives a car to CyB?

The 50% not in T5’s are in Audi’s with roof bars carrying the obligatory Santa Cruz 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

feeling left out Mister P ? 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

I bet they do.

[gulp]

fossy

Having never been to centre parcs, then I assume the ‘gates thing’ is just for ‘unloading’ – i.e. drive to the lodge with stuff, then go park back at the car park. If so, I’d park up, and get the bikes off and pedal down to the lodge with my family’s stuff, just to hiss off all those waiting to ‘drive’.

fossy

Oh yes car ownership stereotypes at CyB. We turned up with two saloon cars (not hatches) loaded with 6 bikes on the roof (had capacity for 8) and all our shizzle in two large ‘boots’. How dare we turn up with ‘normal’ cars.

Drac

If so, I’d park up, and get the bikes off and pedal down to the lodge with my family’s stuff, just to hiss off all those waiting to ‘drive’.

Good luck getting in your lodge. 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Having never been to centre parcs, then I assume the ‘gates thing’ is just for ‘unloading’ – i.e. drive to the lodge with stuff, then go park back at the car park. If so, I’d park up, and get the bikes off and pedal down to the lodge with my family’s stuff, just to hiss off all those waiting to ‘drive’.

in reality, there’s no real wait, I’ve never been more than 10 minutes tops, but then I’ve never been on a proper busy holiday weekend, that’d be silly. 🙂

mos

I don’t understand the need for in 15yr old girls to be wearing bikinis with half their arse hanging out. FFS its not love island.

Mister-P
    Free Member

feeling left out Mister P ?

It’s fine, I have a T5. However I go to neither CP or CyB these days.

philjunior
    Free Member

Pah. T5’s? You take your old bangers wherever you want, T6 for my family.

weeksy

I don’t understand the need for in 15yr old girls to be wearing bikinis with half their arse hanging out. FFS its not love island.

Which one ? I’ll book it this afternoon 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

What type of car where they driving?

stumpy01

fossy

This is what we do.
    Take a couple of rucsacks with us – one with swimming gear in, the other with ‘essentials’ like tea bags, a pint of milk and some chocolate digestives. Oh, and a lock.
    Cycle to the lodge, have a cup of tea, wander around, go for a swim etc. Then head back to the car around 4-5pm when the main CARnage has died down & unload the car.

Drac

Good luck getting in your lodge. 😉

Am I missing something? You get your keys/fobs at the gate upon arrival. Sometimes the room is still being cleaned, but they normally let you dump a bag while you go off for a wander/swim/starbucks….

DezB
    Free Member

so you can get parked somewhere vaguely close to your lodge

Some people just refuse to walk anywhere

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-51383435

Drac

Am I missing something? You get your keys/fobs at the gate upon arrival. Sometimes the room is still being cleaned, but they normally let you dump a bag while you go off for a wander/swim/starbucks….

He’d need to join the same people queuing to get their key.

Drac

What type of car where they driving?

They got a lift with Duncan.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Top tip btw, for those that haven’t been – arrive and park up at 10am, get a full day in the pool etc before the check in rush at 3, same again at the end, stay till 3pm on last day.

Your revolutionary idea also works for most/all kinds of self catering holidays. Saturday to Saturday cottage in Cornwall? Hell yeh, smash down Friday nights when the roads are clear and kip in a Premier Inn. Wake up and have a massive breakfast before a short jaunt to a beach etc for the day and roll into your accommodation whenever suits.
    Time to go home? You could be an idiot and go home the night before like my parents/BiL does or pack, mooch around for the day etc and then drive home after tea on quiet roads again.

Ideal.

jamj1974

I mean it sounds utterly horrific, but what do they do outside school holidays?

Probably not Alan.

jon1973
    Free Member

Imagine going to Croydon IKEA on a bank holiday Monday.

Kryton57

Friday nights when the roads are clear

Dream on.

julians
    Free Member

Hate center parcs with a passion, feels like colditz to me, feel trapped. Really don’t understand the appeal. Especially at school holiday prices.

Been a few times now when my parents wanted to take extended family away.

The kids love it though.

Scamper
    Free Member

Used to go to CP regularly when we could afford it – even put a Strava segment up referring to the difficult brown. Then my wife worked out we could have a week in France CP with plenty of change even after ferry costs.

oreetmon
    Free Member

OP

ARF, it’s not jus me then.

Your analogies made my day ,,bed time now.

jamj1974

Strava segment up referring to the difficult brown.

Is that some kind of CP code phrase?

mattyfez

I’m definitely in the camp of “not my cup of tea” and “how bloody much? You could go all inclusive to the carribean for that”

I just don’t get it.

mattyfez

Strava segment up referring to the difficult brown

Is that some kind of CP code phrase?

Presumably it’s a code similar to what WRC rally Co drivers use to inform the driver how to get from the chalet to the car park 😉

mashr

Hate center parcs with a passion, feels like colditz to me

You do realise you can come and go whenever you want?

mattyfez

But you can never leave?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Car owner stereotypes alive and well at Center Parcs!’ is closed to new replies.