Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Car noise in reverse
  • mjsmke

While reversing this morning my car sounds like a very old rusty gate. Fine yesterday and fine going forwards. 3 year old Berlingo. 1.2 petrol.

Discs and pads have loads of life left.

Before I take it back to the dealer, any ideas? I really don’t have the time or energy to book in with a dealer and be without a car.

jezzep

Hiya,

Did it rain last night where you live? Did you have your window open unusually?
    Sounds like rusty disks from weather and window open simply, else sticking pads.
    I’d take it for a drive then retry the same maneuver. The other option is you ran over your neighbors cat 😉

JeZ

euain

It may well be something to do with the dust shield on the disks. There’s a thin metal disk inboard of the brake disk.

Sometimes wee stone get caught between this and the disk. Sounds like you describe (and it sounds horrible). Not really doing any harm. Best to find the wheel and investigate – can probably encourage the stone out with a bit of pulling or a screwdriver.

Also – but it should take longer than 3 years – the shield could be rusted through or damaged. They eventually get weak and start to rub. By this stage they’re easy enough to pull off.

This happened on my Honda Civic. I pulled them off and it was good for another 100k miles so I don’t think they do much. Same thing happened on my Octavia last year so I’m guessing it’s quite common.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mjsmke

Thanks. I’ll check each wheel when i get home and investigate. Hoping it is just a stone stuck in there since it was fine yesterday.

It did rain a little last night but the front discs are rust free. Rear have always had a little and one rubs a tiny bit so not that.

Just could really do with yet another thing that needs repairing. It seems every week something goes wrong in my house. Just hope it’s not the car now.

martinhutch

Probably a stone stuck. Was surprised at the horrendous noise it made on mine, thought the wheel was about to fall off.

Sometimes a bit of backwards and forwards on full lock will let it drop out.

slowoldman

Did you have your window open unusually?

Does that affect the brakes?

RustyNissanPrairie

While reversing this morning my car sounds like a very old rusty gate

Sounds like you describe (and it sounds horrible).

ran over your neighbors cat

Nah – it’s a Berlingo, if it’s anything like mine it’ll be an electrical problem!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Car noise in reverse

!moorv moorV

Did you have your window open unusually?

Does that affect the brakes?

No but it affect does your hearing them.

My c3 piccasso once did this for a week or so, then stopped and never again, never got to the bottom of it but best I could tell the handbrake wasn’t releasing quite right.

duncancallum

If the hanbdbrake is left on in the rain even over night Sometimes the pads stick to the disc as they rust up. Used to happen with drums more

Can some

slowoldman

No but it affect does your hearing them.

Ah.

mjsmke

If the hanbdbrake is left on in the rain even over night Sometimes the pads stick to the disc as they rust up. Used to happen with drums more

Its an electronic hand brake so uses different pads to the foot brake.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its an electronic hand brake so uses different pads to the foot brake.

They don’t all – VW ones use the same pads.

mjsmke

Solved.

Was a stone about 2cm diameter between the disc and splash guard on he front left side.
    Coul hear it rattling about on my way home fro work.
    Didn’t even have to remove the wheel. Just pushed on the guard and it fell out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice!

euain

Was a stone about 2cm diameter between the disc and splash guard on he front left side.
    Coul hear it rattling about on my way home fro work.
    Didn’t even have to remove the wheel. Just pushed on the guard and it fell out.

Result! That’s a cheap and easy fix 🙂

Straightliner

Glad to hear it’s solved. Now I can add my dad joke style response:

Mmmmmmmmmrrrrrrrrrrbb! (Car noise in reverse).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.