Car musings – does such a thing exist?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Car musings – does such a thing exist?
  • Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Been thinking about cars recently, I like my Subaru Legacy Spec B, with it’s capacious boot, AWD system (with no haldex to go wrong) and nice comfy leather with all the trimmings, however with the state of today’s roads and the low/hard suspension with 18″ wheels, every journey is a pothole dodging experience, it does under 25mpg average, my XL sized MTB still needs the front wheel taken off to get it in, oh and VED is £50 a month…

So, does this actually exist?

Fits a long XL 29er with both wheels on.
    Comfy for long journeys i.e. leather, cruise control, heated seats etc
    Decent mpg of 30-40mpg average.
    VED of £30 a month or less.
    Under £10k (well under would be better).
    Power: over 100-120bhp, AWD not important.
    5 seats a must as I often carry more than just me.
    Sensible miles, and under 8-9 years old, the newer the better.
    Open to diesels as I’d be doing 10-15k a year, probably more.

Van with crew seats?
    An even bigger estate than my subaru? Not likely, my Legacy’s boot is aleady huge and isn’t big enough to fit my bike with both wheels on
    An MPV with seats that fold flat?

tdog

I’d like to suggest the Forester in some form of spec.

However feel you may be swaying the vw transporter ooooo look at my overpriced van option :/

V70 D5
    my £900 does 55mpg if driven within the speed limits
    Takes a 29er with the wheels on , or eitehr road bike
    Has Leather ( heated ) air-con, cruise , all electric gubbins
    VED howeever is not less than £50, but as you will half your annual fuel bill, 1month will cover the extra ££

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

Surely one of those old Mondeo barges would do the trick? Always seem to be touted as the most cavernous of the older estate cars.

joshvegas

You want a people carrier!

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

The old barge option does appeal – old and cheap enough that if it fails the MOT you’re not bothered/out of pocket, vs the other direction of less than 5 years old but 7-10x the money. The middle ground of 10+ years old but £4-7k is dangerous territory…

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

V70 D5
    my £900 does 55mpg if driven within the speed limits
    Takes a 29er with the wheels on , or eitehr road bike
    Has Leather ( heated ) air-con, cruise , all electric gubbins
    VED howeever is not less than £50, but as you will half your annual fuel bill, 1month will cover the extra ££

Or my D3 – £30 annual tax, same mpg, 2013, cost me £9k. Only 136 or 163bhp though, so more sedate.

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

E61 BMW 5 Series.

the00

Is it really such a faff to take the front wheel off? Takes about 30 seconds.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

No not really, but if you’re going to go big, you may as well go big enough to fit a whole bike. Mine nearly does, but not quite.

CountZero

Leaving aside the VED, about which I know bugger-all, the required spec list just shouts Zafira. The 1.4 Turbo. Seven seats, not sure if there’s a leather option, but the standard seats are really like your favourite armchair. I know the spec included diesel, but the little 1.4 is such a willing motor to rev, but it’s quiet when cruising.
    I’d seriously consider one myself, the only reason I’m holding back is I’ve got an Octavia, and I just don’t need a car with that much space, or as long.
    I’ve driven lots of them, quite a few for a couple of hundred miles at a time, and the Zaffy is always comfy, and just a nice drive.

5lab

lwb tourneo connect?

merc r class

skoda superb estate

out of interest, in your current car are you moving the passenger seat forwrads? made a big difference to what I can get in my car.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

I have a forester, great motor.
    Doubt it will take a 29er with both wheels on tho.
    However, as it has a factory fitted towbar, i can fit a rear rack.
    Subarus are great cars, well made, long lasting, practical.

Premier Icon scaled
    Subscriber

Most of the people suggesting cars here don’t have an XL 29er 😀

I’ve been able to get all my previous bikes in the back of my Avensis with both wheels on, not so with a large Orbea Rallon.

Big wheels, wide bars, car boots with the seats down just aren’t quite the right shape. Crew cab transit is looking like the next family purchase. Somewhat ironically, probably with a tow bar and a bike rack for family camping expeditions.

ads678

Merc Viano? Or Vito traveliner. Both more car-van than van.

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t suggest a Forester based on your current car. I have one and all that sounds very similar 🙂

It won’t fit an XL 29er in with wheels on. I use a towbar mounted carrier with mine. It also suffers from terrible MPG, high tax and a tiny fuel tank. Still love it it though!

I have an XL 29er and an XL 27.5 and there’s probably not many cars you could roll either in with wheels on.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

out of interest, in your current car are you moving the passenger seat forwrads? made a big difference to what I can get in my car.

Tried that, made no difference, due to…

Big wheels, wide bars, car boots with the seats down just aren’t quite the right shape.

Yep. That’s what I found. My current bike is an XL 27.5, 1234 wheelbase, 800mm bars. The next bike will be an XXL 29, 1269 wheelbase, 800mm bars so no chance in most estates 😀

A decent towbar rack would be an option, with a boot big enough to put the bike inside when camping.

I want the impossible really in terms of age/reliability – something old and cheap enough that I won’t care when it gets scraped by bushes going down a single track road, or when (as I park on the street) it gets covered in aphid tree sap (which is what’s currently happening to my car), but new enough to not have issues with rust or all those other issues than 10-15 year old cars develop.

This has been spurred on my my car losing one of it’s exhaust hangers (not off the exhaust, off the car!) with the MOT a couple of weeks away, and tonight when dropping off my niece and nephew to cubs and to my BiL’s, I counted 10+ large potholes that I had to avoid, in the space of a few miles. The roads round here are in an appalling state.

stevemuzzy

I can get a medium 29er in my passatt estate with loads of room to spare so should fit.

Decent build quality,150 bhp, 50+, mpg (saw 67 on one long trip) 20 a year to tax and comfy.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907130025796?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=10000&postcode=g630sa&body-type=Estate&model=PASSAT&sort=price-desc&page=1&price-from=6000&make=VOLKSWAGEN&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

Or old merc e class estate, bloody huge things.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

My 2010 outback takes my 29r wheels on.

45 average from the boxxer diesel, gen5 so fixed the early gen4 crankshaft issues.

Full leather interior. Navpac etc. I think I paid £6k for it.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

And it rattles like a true Subaru…

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

In fact I’ve re-read your list and I reckon an outback ticks every box.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

45 average from the boxxer diesel, gen5 so fixed the early gen4 crankshaft issues.

Full leather interior. Navpac etc. I think I paid £6k for it.

I was about to look into the diesel failures, my legacy is a Gen4 so the diesel then was a massive AVOID!!!! The 2010-onwards model would be the one, softer, slower but decent value.

Ahh, outback, not forester… hmm, the 2010 model is a bit taller than the gen4 so probably more space.

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

18 Passat with an XL E-Sommet with 800 bars. Not a hope in hell. Not even easy with the front wheel off, have to turn the bars and wriggle it in

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

The forester is out in front at the moment, enjoyable video this one, for some strange reason…

Half the VED cost, double the MPG with the diesel, 2010ish model for abount £1500 more than mine is worth (4+ years newer). I’d get one with a towbar and get something like a 1up rack. Loads of room, the boot with seats down is over 500l bigger. Still has the subaru AWD and interior which I like.

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

Van all the way. Bike(s) go in whole, changing and sleeping room, no more footprint than a big estate. Receiving a wave from like minded fellow owners. 😉

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Well one obvious simple fix is the wheels- your car ought to take 17s fine over the brakes, and there’s millions of 5×100 wheel sets out there. Doesn’t resolve any of the other issues of course but you could probably sell yours for more than it’d cost to get 17s on it.

As far as boot size goes, tbh the Legacy isn’t that amazing tbh. It’s got a pretty big footprint and volume but it’s not tall, because they need to fit the driveshaft and diff and suchlike under the floor, and that makes a load of difference with bikes. I don’t know if your bike would fit, but, it’s certainly less big than my old Mondeo- my size L remedy 29 fitted effortlessly into it, but doesn’t really fit in the leggy with both wheels on (it can, but it’s a bollocks)

If I had a taste for silly cars like what these are, but I wanted a massive cargo bay, I’d get a white Elgrand with LPG, and put space shuttle stickers on it. Cheap tax because of import shenanigans (£255 for most of them) , enormous, AWD or RWD options… And a 3.5 VQ35DE making 240hp as standard and with a million tuning options. Only comes with auto/tiptronic which is a shame but, it’s a 350Z with a bus welded on top, what’s not to like?

jkomo

My wife’s Corolla Verso is massive, but shit. Although if I sell it and you are looking at my history, it’s s great car.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Ahh, outback, not forester… hmm, the 2010 model is a bit taller than the gen4 so probably more space.

Loads more space and more than the forester I reckon. I tried both and settled on the outback.

mafiafish

If you’re not too fussed about handling, then E class Merc estates are pretty huge and very comfy on rough roads, pretty quiet and comfy cabin too.

Really, just take the front wheel off. Takes almost no time and makes it much easier to pack other stuff around.

In the spirit of ‘recommend what you’ve got’ then I’d point at a Caddy Maxi Life but even then it’s front wheels off with two bikes but one should go in fine.

>>Comfy for long journeys i.e. leather, cruise control, heated seats etc
    Cruise control I’d put as essential but where do you live? I’ve had heated seats in rentals and know peopel who’ve got them but never met anyone who really found them essential in the UK. Surely even less so for any trip where the car has a chance to warm up.
    Likewise leather – maybe practical for mtb but not really a comfort thing. Fabric with a seat cover for winter?

precutduck

Hyundai i40 premium?
    Loads of space, good fuel economy, low tax, heated seats, cooled front seats, panoramic roof. Worth a look I’d say.
    This sort of one

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

I can do without the fit with the both wheels on thing if a towbar was a standard fit, heated seat though, nah! 😁

They’re more just an indication of the spec level, I’d always go for the highest spec level I could, I’d expect bagged seats to be included on most decent spec levels above poverty spec.

Premier Icon Whydot
    Subscriber

Standard Skoda Octavia estate recommendation.

It’s big (an L Transition Sentinel goes in with wheels in, XL Geometron and Sentinel with front wheels off).

Ridiculously comfortable on long journeys (I’ve done Fort William to Nottingham in a one-r), averages 60mpg day to day, 75mpg on a long motorway run. VED is £2 per month or close ish to it. In terms of bells and whistles, it’s got cruise control, air con, heated wing mirrors, SD card and Bluetooth.

Downsides, the 1.6TDi is ‘underpowered’ to put it charitably, but chugs along nicely once it’s up to speed. Handy on motorways. Actually seems pretty much solely designed for motorways.

A quick look on Autotrader says you’d be able to pick one up with reasonable miles for 2.5-3k.

Hob Nob

Not sure if you will get it in budget, but I would think you can, spec dependent.

I can fit an XL 29er (1300mm WB) in my Skoda Superb estate (2018 car). Think this model came out in 2016 so must be close to the top end of your budget now?

Saab 9-5 estate is huge, but I can’t get my XL 29er in without taking a wheel off.

How about a Ford Galaxy? Or a Kangoo 4*4?

trumpton

just keep your existing car.

toby1

Aren’t you into SMax (or CMax whichever is bigger) at this stage? Took a ride in a friends high spec one a while back, panoramic roof, leather interior, was pretty comfy for an hour long journey and essentially just a van with seats inside spacewise.

joshvegas

Standard Skoda Octavia estate recommendation.

Why think octavias are large?!

Its a medium sized estate and the boot is tiny!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Octavia boot is considerably smaller than a legacy. Bit taller, but you lose the flat entrance and the arches encroach more, and it’s just a smaller car overall.

nick1962
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.