• This topic has 33 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Car – low oil pressure warning but oil level is bang on?
  • benz
    Free Member

So, 6 month old Mazda CX5 2.2 diesel. 7.5k miles.

Driving home yesterday low oil pressure warning message came up telling me to check oil level, etc.

I stopped checked the oil and it’s fine per dipstick.

Started again and no warning message including another 22 mile journey in the evening, but booked into dealer on Wednesday anyways for checking.

I sincerely hope only a sensor issue as I’d hope that as not near the 12.5k recommended oil change the oil has not degraded nor an oil pump issue at 7.5 miles and 6 months old….

Heading away for a few days tomorrow but think we’ll take my wife’s car..in case….

I believe Mazda 6 diesel had issues with diesel getting into oil and effectively diluting it causing oil pressure issues.

Oh, the oil is just above the max mark but below the x on the dipstick which indicates oil change time apparently…..

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Spoke to some one about Mazda Diesel engines apparently it’s correct that diesel leaks into the engine oil!!! Friends car was quoted £3000 by a mail dealer to service and replace the particle filter.
    After 6 months use, Mazda bought the car back in the end.
    By all accounts not a good engine.
    Still struggling with letting diesel ruin the expensive engine oil??

molgrips
    Free Member

Well you answered it yourself. Oil pressure is a measure of how well it’s being pumped around the engine. Very low level can result in this, as can a blocked filter or bad pump etc. A new engine might have bits of swarf or crao left over from manufacture to block oil ducts and things, conceivably. Engines tend to go wrong when they are new (manuf problems) or very old.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh, the oil is just above the max mark but below the x on the dipstick which indicates oil change time apparently…..

Diesel leaking into oil will raise the level and reduce the viscosity (prob hence the pressure issue) leading to less lubrication and more wear.

*makes note to never buy a Mazda*

patriotpro
    Free Member

Why don’t you take it back?

Cougar

Six months old = warranty, shirley? S.E.P.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Spoke to some one about Mazda Diesel engines apparently it’s correct that diesel leaks into the engine oil!!! Friends car was quoted £3000 by a mail dealer to service and replace the particle filter.
    After 6 months use, Mazda bought the car back in the end.
    By all accounts not a good engine.
    Still struggling with letting diesel ruin the expensive engine oil??”

Its not just mazda as im sure you know chris.

Some diesels force a regen by injecting extra diesel to force temps up in the dpf and burn off the soot.

This is what gets into the diesel.

The americans have it right i think , they can get silly milage from their cars – you speak to them and they are changing oil every 3-5k…..

benz
    Free Member

Yes, dealer booked it in as warranty job, and apparently the techs have a service bulletin….content has not shared with me.

The warning went after I checked oil level yesterday and has not come back on although I have driven about 60 miles since.

I would have thought that it would have remained on had there been a true low pressure issue.

See what the dealer says next week. But if it is down to oil dilution due to dpf reducing service interval from 12.5k to 7.5k then I’ll have to start thinking options…unless oil changes are funded by manufacturer.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Just spoke to pal that had one. His very loud shouting advice was to get rid before future problems softwear helps the constant DPF issues but designing an engine that let’s fuel leak into the oil is crazy, I cannot think turbos last long if not serviced very 5 mins!!!

PePPeR

The engines a PSA unit, as fitted to Peugeot/Citroens/Ford/Jaguar/Land Rover!

My van which has the same engine which has 30,000 mile service intervals!

molgrips
    Free Member

I asked about silly long service intervals for vans. Apparently they just have a much bigger sump with much more oil, so you can leave it longer between changes. Since commercial vehicles do so many miles the service interval is a major selling point – it’d come up every 2-3 months with a car.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I work for PSA it’s not one of ours!!!
    They also use the 1.6 DV6 that is ours

hora
    Free Member

Im NO expert but surely its causing starvation somewhere for low pressure to trigger on full oil system?

And/or Pump?

In anyway any other issues to follow? Cat damage wouldnt show until an emissions test on a Mot?

Inbred456
    Free Member

I would hope its just a dodgy sensor. I know the older Mazda 2.2 D had major problems with their re gens of the dpf. Urban use wrecked the engine because of the fuel used to force the re gen diluted the engine oil. The cars if used for motorway use were unaffected. I would of hoped that Mazda would have sorted this problem by now. Well documented on many car forums. Hope you get it sorted, if not get shot. Sale of goods act etc.

wombat

In the interests of balance….I have an 09 plate Mazda 6 with that engine in and it’s not had any DPF problems. It’s got 76k miles on it of which I’ve done 70k.

I appreciate that there are always exceptions but my experience of the engine is completely positive.

benz
    Free Member

I’m also hoping just a sensor or spurious warning as the warning has not reappeared and oil pressure light switches off immediately on start up.

I’ll see what the dealer finds.

Been 100% to this point.

MrOvershoot

Christ there is some shite posted on here!

The 2.2D unit isn’t a PSA build its Mazda’s own, the bulk of the DPF issues are the 2.0D MZR-CD engine being driven like Miss Daisy (as is the case with many engines).
    And its not diesel leaking into the engine, the regen cycle on lots of engines if not completed dumps the fuel/shite mixture back into the sump.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Trail rat, yes a tiny amount of diesel is injected into the cylinders on exhaust stroke to raise the temp in the pre cat to aid cat re gen but only if normal driving regen cannot take place BUT that must be the worst idea to permit fuel to damage the oil/engine, PSA have softwear in all diesels so if the oil level rises the engine goes into limp home mode to prevent engine damage.
    I also changed a ford puma Diesel engine for this fault because diesel was entering the oil.

Russell96

I’ve seized the engine in a works van. Oil pressure warning light came on, checked the oil and it was fine so I carried on driving and after about two miles the van got slower and slower and slower until it stopped and the engine wouldn’t turn. Local engineering centre mechanics towed it back and I then had to face the local fleet manager gloating away thinking he was going to give a lowly tech a good roasting over hot coals due to killing an engine by neglecting oil checks, he made the mechs check the oil level three times until he was convinced it was OK. Turned out the oil pump had died, lucky escape for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not disagreeing with you on that chris stupid stupid design.

MrOvershoot

Russ I’m sad you didn’t disconnect the pressure switch & put any old oil in till it let go 😉

Having said that I took the oil pressure light out on a Hillman Avenger estate so the next buyer didn’t question the “slight” rattle on start up 😮

Inbred456
    Free Member

Mr Overshoot “And its not diesel leaking into the engine, the regen cycle on lots of engines if not completed dumps the fuel/shite mixture back into the sump.” That to me is fuel getting into the engine, the last time I checked my sump where the oil is was part of the engine. It may be the case with lots of engines but that doesn’t mean its a good method of regeneration for the dpf. I guess in the effort to sell cars the dealers aren’t being honest with Joe public and telling them that going to the shops and doing the school run isn’t the best environment for their diesel engine.

Inbred456
    Free Member

17-7-2012: DPFs of 2.2 diesel continuing to fail, resulting in total engine failure if the oil/fuel level in the engine is not checked and addressed. Today had notification of another 2.2 diesel engine failure at 36,500, but at the time of failure the engine contained 8.5 litres of fuel/oil mixture so the driver had obviously not checked the oil level.

From Honest John’s site. Seems the closed loop system on the 2.2D regen system is not infallible.

MrOvershoot

Inbred my comment wasn’t aimed at you as your original post was about the most accurate.

You are right in that many DPF implementations are a bit of a lash up as the kit was rush introduced to meet emission rules enforced by the likes of the EU.

hora
    Free Member

What? To control the nasty evil and shitty diesel engine. Horrible things to breath in/smell when riding a bike. 😉

johnners
    Free Member

I’ll see what the dealer finds.

Been 100% to this point.

Yeah, but “this point” is 6 months and 7500 miles, so it’s hardly impressive.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

If you all think this DPF is a hassle now, 2015 will have a pre cat a huge DPF filter and an add blue filter that will use up to 1L PER 1000 miles. I was told 5 years ago diesel cars would be around in new car for by now but they keep on lowering emissions to make euro 6 laws but the future I really don’t know. Fuel injector pressures are up near 2000 bar now to atomise the fuel for cleaner burn, don’t know how much higher/cleaner it can get.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I think that with the increase in manufacturers going towards small turbo charged petrol engines the writing is on the wall for the diesel engine. Maybe that will be a good thing for all of us.

Marko

I guess in the effort to sell cars the dealers aren’t being honest with Joe public and telling them that going to the shops and doing the school run isn’t the best environment for their diesel engine.

I’m lead to believe that VW will not sell you a diesel until you understand the need to drive at Motorway speeds to enable DPF regeneration to take place every so often.

Saab suggest something like 60 MPH for 20 minutes every 1,000 miles – or something like that.

The writing is on the wall for small diesel engines. The future for the small car sector will be 2 or 3 cylinder turbocharged petrol engines.

Marko

tonyg2003

Fuel injector pressures are up near 2000 bar now to atomise the fuel for cleaner burn, don’t know how much higher/cleaner it can get.

The new Volvo diesels have a completely new injection system that they have been developing for a while and they are around 2700 bar with new sensors for each injector. Even more economical than BMW diesels. It seems that diesels will be around for a while even Euro6.

Although I agree that hybrid electrical, or KERS or compressed gas (Peugeot) will be available with little turbo charged triple petrol engines in the future. The won’t be any simpler than diesel engines though.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Benz have you checked the oil with your car on level ground with the engine cold? That’s how I thought you tested the oil level to get an accurate reading. Not when the engines just been running.

(Sorry if it sounds too simplistic but you never know)

coffeeking
    Free Member

To be fair I see a 15psi drop in oil pressure at idle on my car by 3000miles use on fully synth, and the oil is noticeably less viscous, so if it is dumping the extra diesel into the sump there’s no wonder.

molgrips
    Free Member

The future for the small car sector will be 2 or 3 cylinder turbocharged petrol engines.

Or hybrid.

I must admit I’ll be test driving a TFSI next time. Should tow well enough, on paper.

boblo
    Free Member

I must admit I’ll be test driving a TFSI next time. Should tow well enough, on paper.

Aaah but to be fair Moly, most of your cars go better on paper 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Car – low oil pressure warning but oil level is bang on?’ is closed to new replies.