Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Car insurance – views?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

Which car insurance do you use?

I made the mistake of keying my telephone number on Confused.com and Money Super market.com … then phone started to ring to … arrgghhh …

Some of insurance quotes are simply ridiculous but Admiral came to be lowest at £701.

This is for 2005 Toyota 1.6 auto petrol with 2 years NCB.

The problem is I don’t like giving details over the phone so should I just pay via the net?

🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

How much. !

Jamie
    Free Member

I have only been driving for 3 years, didn’t go for my test till the grand old age of 30, and currently paying £309 fully comp with legal cover. This is with Aviva, and with 3 yrs NCB, on a 1.4 Fiesta.

It’s not great, but I am still seen as a new-ish driver.

I should add, the good thing I found with Aviva is that you can strip off all the ‘extras’ other policies have built in. So I just went with insurance and legal cover, no breakdown recovery etc. That I did separate with Auto-Aid.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I passed my test last month and everyone is telling me it will be at least £1000. No wonder there are so many uninsured drivers out there.

njee20
    Free Member

Admiral for me

skids
    Free Member

i switch every year, admiral were cheapest last time but when it came to renew they were like £200 more than the comparison site

totalshell

it matters not one jot where you live what you drive etc. they just charge what your used to paying so for me my first car was 150.. when i was 17 its now 235 .. 33 years later

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Recently renewed my insurance for the car. Play around with the voluntary excess. When I opted to pay zero voluntary excess, the premium didn’t change at all from the default figure of £250 or whatever it started at.

Bonkers! But guess how much voluntary excess I opted to pay should the worst happen?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Mate I dont know how old you are or how you got that NCB but often if you’re older (and sticking to the NCB rules) its well worth your while talking to a broker or one of the direct line companines over the phone.

They often give intoductory discounts (eg driving the wifes car before now, or company cars, or one claim after 5 years claim free etc).

If you’ve just started out then I dont know.

And, phone wise, yes: I have a PAYG top-up tesco mobile specifically for this kind of thing. And lastly if you’ve told them you’ve ever had a claim, expect to get a call from every solicitor in the country!

chewkw
    Free Member

Initially, I bought the car with provisional license in 2011 … arrghh … long story. Insured under my name but it was so expensive it’s crazy as no insurance company was going to insure me because I was going to add an international license to it. I think it was £2k – £2.5

Last year the insurance was £1.4k

This year the same insurance company quoted me £1.2k plus but when I searched the internet I got Admiral quoting me £652 + £75 (nation wide breakdown) = £727. Later on they rang me to offer all in for £701.

Yes, I got my UK full driving license in Feb 2013 … so 6 months full license.

The voluntary excess is £250 but I don’t mind paying the max at £1K, but the premium only changed by £2 only so not worth pushing for max voluntary …

Any idea how to reduce it further? 🙁

Oh ya … I am “old” but not hitting the mid life crisis yet. 😆

Car is insured at £4K … I bought it for £5K.

Secure car park with CCTV but in city centre.

p/s: Since I got the car I have insured it with Swinton who indirectly go them from Aviva. For whatever reason they are more expensive now …

nickdavies

If someone offered me insurance for £701 I’d bite their hand off.
    £1000 a year, 11 years no claims crashes or convictions on a sodding ford focus kept in a locked underground private car park with CCTV.

Yay for a Birmingham postcode….

chewkw
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me some insurance broker and etc that deal with a case like mine?

chewkw
    Free Member

Just tried Aviva so got quoted £675 comprehensive (voluntary £800) without breakdown cover.

The quote from Admiral is still the lowest at £626 comprehensive (voluntary £250) without breakdown cover.

Hmmmm … 🙁

Neil-F
    Free Member

I’ve been paying about £270 for car insurance since I was 19…. I’ mnow 41.
    I’ve had 4 cars in that time, varying from a slow 1.3 to a 2 litre road rocket, and it hasn’t really changed. I’ve had points, one accident, stayed in different areas……

speak to people and you’ll get a discount, thats what I’ve always found. I saved £60 this year simply by phoning Aviva and telling them I wasn’t happy with my renewal quote.
    Basically…..
    “I’m not happy with my renewal, and I’m thinking of going to (insert other company)”
    “Well Mr. Neil, we can give you this much discount today, meaning your insurance will be this much less….”

It works. 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

OK, I think I shall give Aviva a call tomorrow because I have insured with them through Swinton last year and I think also year before.

p/s: oh yes … if I buy online from Aviva I get 20% Online Discount which makes it £540. Need to keep trying … 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

I’ve just insured a 1.4 petrol people carrier berlingoey type thing worth 1k. 420-ish quid full comp, 6 points on licence, 3 for 18mph over limit in a 60 and 3 points for bald tyres, 40 years old, town where I live was a town when I passed my test, it’s now a ‘city’.. not sure if it makes any odds.

I claimed for a screen last year so the ncb is back to square one. At first it was close to £500 so we altered a few things to bring it down a bit.

I like dealing with a firm based here in the U.K. so going by how much I could have saved over the previous years by going with the likes of Direct L1ne,I think it’s worth it. I had an utter mare trying to communicate with them (possibly to India) years ago after foolishly offering a truck driver my details having witnessed an accident. His insurance,the other chaps insurance and my own insurance at the time (Direct L1ne) were getting so confused and unable to understand the story from the two guys involved in the head-on,that I started getting letters as if it was me that was in the accident!!

I’m with Adr1an Flux now and although they haven’t been perfect over the years, they’ve been the easiest to deal with with.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I went through an insurance broker for my recent insurance as it was by far the cheapest compared to shipping on the net.

However, after years of shopping around I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s all just a postcode lottery. With my current policy if I use my parents postcode in Devon the premium is £300 & if I use my current address in Cardiff it’s just over £600. Go figure.

Edit: oh & I’ve got 8 years no claims 🙁

martinxyz
    Free Member

Breakdown cover is something I gave up on. I had to get the car picked up a few months ago and it cost £80. Even driving old bangers, cars rarely break down on me. Well, putting the current one aside considering whats going on with it right now 😆

john_drummer
    Free Member

Hastings. about £250/year for a Citroen C4 1.6 petrol on a 56 plate. 48yo full licence since ’91, no convictions, no claims since ’01

chewkw
    Free Member

martinxyz – Member

… Direct L1ne …

Good call with Direct L1ne … the quote comes to £493.96 … :mrgreen:

I will try Adr1an Flux in a moment …

The price is dropping now finally.

ell_tell – Member

I went through an insurance broker for my recent insurance as it was by far the cheapest compared to shipping on the net.

Which insurance broker can I get?

Anymore suggestion anyone?

😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Good call with Direct L1ne

OMG I actually helped somone. Oh have you called them though? On the phone? Its often cheaper on the phone.

As for brokers: you really need something distinctive in your history / or profession.

Are you a fireman….? Doctor….? Anything thats got a professional association?

Or years on a motorbike? Have you driven a van for years? Something. Driven abroad?

gdj001
    Free Member

Get some other named drivers on there as well, providing they have no points etc. Both my parents are on mine, brought it down a fair bit

chewkw
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – Member

Good call with Direct L1ne

OMG I actually helped somone. Oh have you called them though? On the phone? Its often cheaper on the phone.

I just tried their website quote so will give them a call tomorrow to see if I can get it lower.

Okay … not a true profession but how about low ranking bureaucrat does that count? :mrgreen: Not with any association.

Yes, driven many years abroad then 10 years break when I came back to UK.

gdj001 – Member

Get some other named drivers on there as well, providing they have no points etc. Both my parents are on mine, brought it down a fair bit

Hhmmm … no other people I am afraid. Friends? Does that work?

ell_tell
    Free Member

Which insurance broker can I can?

I have a Mazda & joined a Mazda owners forum I believe is run by Neil F above…

I saw some recommendations for a broker called Sky Insurance (nowt to do with Murdoch) so tried them and they came out the cheapest. Always worth a try but you need to call for a quote as don’t think they offer an over the net service, which you mentioned might be a problem

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So how were you allowed drive abroad? Where did you pass your test?

#Edits:

Ie for those years?

Also, roughly how old are you? Where abouts you living?

chewkw
    Free Member

ell_tell – Member

… a broker called Sky Insurance (nowt to do with Murdoch) so tried them and they came out the cheapest.

Oh yes will do …

So how were you allowed drive abroad? Where did you pass your test?

I got foreign driving license from the land of headhunter (not the HR type … real ones) :mrgreen: .
    Passed my test in a foreign land … many many years go say nearly 30 years ago.

Stopped driving for the past 10 years or so because I walk to work so no need to commute. Bought the car for someone else but when the plan changed I took over the ownership.

:mrgreen:

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Dont be shy about it!

So – ring a broker, you’ve been driving for 30 years. You’ve got a UK licence for a few years. No claims … It’s worth a shot.

Where was the first test done – if you dont mind me asking? Commonwealth?

#Edit – we cross posted a bit there I think.

chewkw
    Free Member

Where was the test done – if you dont mind me asking? Commenwealth?

Commonwealth country … at the capital of this island.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Ahh Ok, and you redid your test in the UK?

BTW: I did mine here originally: Knock airport (while it was being built). Redid it in London.

gdj001
    Free Member

Yeah try friends, it’s worth a shot as you’ve got nothing to lose. If they don’t bring the price down, don’t add them on. If any of them drive for a living, ie work vans, company cars, that would help

chewkw
    Free Member

Ahh Ok, and you redid your test in the UK?

Yes. Thought I would be better off with UK license as I intend to start a business in the future so need to drive around.

BTW: I did mine here originally: Knock airport (while it was being built). Redid it in London.

What quarter mile drag race? 😯 😆

That’s what I did at age 17 …

gdj001 – Member

Yeah try friends, it’s worth a shot as you’ve got nothing to lose. If they don’t bring the price down, don’t add them on. If any of them drive for a living, ie work vans, company cars, that would help

Yes, will give them a call as there is nothing to loose like you say.

😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

Many bank accounts have breakdown cover on, both my Halifax and Natwest do. Check yours and you might save another few quid by not adding it to insurance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you really need breakdown cover – a well serviced car used on local journeys shouldnt break down . If its local just get your local garage to come tow it 🙂

Guess it might be different if you drive mostly on motorways – its harder to recover from there. Or have wife/young kids i can sympathise with that but Its probably the break down pumpingq insurance up.

Ive been recovered once in 10 years – by a mate no less. From a petrol forecourt when my ecu died of death. – nothing was bringing that car to life again.

njee20
    Free Member

If any of them drive for a living, ie work vans, company cars, that would help

Not sure if you’re kidding? Additional drivers who do loads of miles are higher risk and won’t help. You want to add nice safe drivers, in their 40s who do 5k miles a year.

Whilst playing with the online quote engines play with excess, can make a big difference. Think about mileage too, loads of people just go for 10-12k by default, it makes a huge difference if you’re not actually going to do that.

anagallis_arvensis

My motorbike insurance is £89 a year fully comp!

Jamie
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis’s motorbike:

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hey – dont knock it . I had one of them for a field bike when i was 12 very hard to kill 🙂

My land rover insurance is 150 through a broker . Insane considering the theft target they are. – maybe they know mines is a wreak 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Just changed my address for move next week and its gone down by £9 to £80 a year!!

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, I am getting rid of the breakdown cover.

Oh yes, the price is going down now …

DirectLine is the lowest so far at £493, which is less than half the amount Switon has quoted me initially.

I will give others a call soon.

Anymore suggestion?

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Okay I am trying all those insurance brokers in my area on Monday.

I will attempt to get my quote down as far as possible.

I hope I will find something at around £300 – £450.

:mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance – views?’ is closed to new replies.