Car insurance question…

Home Forum Chat Forum Car insurance question…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car insurance question…
  • On comparison sites or on the phone, I always get asked if I’ll be using my car to commute to one regular place of work. Now, I work offshore and generally go to a hotel in Aberdoom the night before flying. Could I drive my car to the hotel and still claim I’m SDP use only? I don’t work at the hotel and I can’t technically drive to the rig, so I can’t see why I should pay SDP + commuting premiums, especially given insurance co’s propensity for taking things literally when it benefits them.

All hypothetical, of course. It costs more in petrol and parking than in train & hotel fees.

wisepranker

I’m not sure of the answer to your question but I’ve never been charged any more for SDP + commuting rather than SDP only use.

There’s about a £150/year difference on my most recent quote.

b r

Look at the cost of full business, cheaper for me than private+commuting.

m0rk

Where’s the car when you’re offshore?

Equally, it’s still commuting when you’re driving

jd-boy

Have you tried the NFU for insurance, I changed all mine to them this year, they were also cheeper than any other company for my car to be used for business, Plus I talk to one guy at my local branch which make a change. 😛

I’d probably leave the car at the hotel, although there is a car park round the back of the airport. And yes, technically I’m commuting, but the question is specifically “to one usual place of work”. I don’t work at the hotel. Or the carpark.

Also, how does it work for training courses. There are about 6 courses a year I go on. Would travelling to these fall under “commuting to one usual place of work”?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance question…’ is closed to new replies.