Car insurance NCD question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car insurance NCD question
  • In short, I'm now medically unable to drive, and will be for at least the next 12 months. We've gone to being a 1 car family (first time ever) but for various reasons the insurance we've carried on with has been my wifes car insurance.

So, despite driving and being claim free since 17 (with my own insurance since 19) I'm not going to have a car insured in my name until next year at least.

Other than buying a cheap banger and keeping 3rd party going, is there any other way of keeping some proof of a fairly decent insurance history that will satisfy insurance comapnies next year?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Many accept that an allow you to carry them over, if they so no then shop elsewhere.

Andy W

I am sure most Ins Co's will honour them for up to 2
    Ring around a bit all they want is your money

uplink

supposing you did try to keep a car insured
    Will any company give you insurance if you're medically unfit to drive?

DaveGr

As above – you generally "keep" NCD for two years if it's not used on a car – not sure what happens after that i.e. whether it reduces bit by bit or is reduced straight to zero. Keep proof of your NCD (last renewal documents) – for when you want insurance again. But I'd phone a few companies just to check first.

Thanks guys, useful info.

I'm taking the slant that just because I'm medically not fit to drive it's not impossible that I couldn't have insurance on a vehicle parked up at the roadside, surely too discriminatory to refuse me insurance when I declare myself medically unfit & not driving (which is now).

Will get onto current insurer and check the position with them.

Andy W

If they say No

Buy a shed for £50 pop it SORN (offroad) then insure it just as a off road policy

Not sure if that would keep your no claims going but its worth a shot

And if you are not going to be driving why tell them you are unfit to drive now ? when your not going to be driving…I would have thought that you would only need to tell them your medical history when you get behind the wheel again

fingerbike

You'll be fine, I didn't have a car for nearly two years, NCB was still valid when I got a car again…

Andy W

Could always go down the no tax,test or Insurance route..you will save loads 😉

And if you are not going to be driving why tell them you are unfit to drive now ? when your not going to be driving…I would have thought that you would only need to tell them your medical history when you get behind the wheel again

I erm, might have already tried that for a little while, just had a decision recently that means no driving for a further 12 months. It's also because we've gone to one car so I'll need to cancel my insurance policy on the car I no longer own.

Just to finish this thread, eSure were really good, cancelled current policy and have provided written proof of no claims that they will honour for 2 years.

At least means if I get my licence restored next year I won't be stuck in a 950cc Fiesta Pop due to exorbitant insurance costs!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance NCD question’ is closed to new replies.