Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Car insurance claim other party insurance co wants to fix car
  • falkirk-mark

As title I had a bump yesterday (was reversed into in car park) and the ladies insurance has asked to manage the car repair (upshot is they believe their client was at fault) is there any reason not to do this ?
    Cheers Mark

Nico
    Free Member

Yes. You can (I think) normally choose to have it fixed by somebody you trust, though many insurers will prefer to use their contracting repair people because they can get it cheaper. They’ll usually do a minimal job because they’ve been negotiated down by the insurance company. That’s my experience. I’d hold out to have it done by somebody you trust, assuming you know of someone.

pyranha

And inspect it thoroughly when you get it back. I had a repair done by Nationwide a couple of years ago – they had to replace most of the driver’s side, as well as osf wheel, the front panel, bonnet and windscreen (only just missed being a write off). After I got the car home, I went to check the washer bottle and found that was only half there – despite all the other damage, it hadn’t, apparently, occurred to them to fix that.

craigxxl
    Free Member

You need to think that if the repair isn’t to standard it’s hard enough getting it sorted through your own insurance, I would imagine through a third party insurers would be more of a nightmare.

servo
    Free Member

Make sure that you get details of the guarantee on the work.

I had my car repaired by the approved body shop by my insurance company. About a year later, filler started to crack all around it. Body shop had closed down at this point 😕

Problem was that I had a new insurance company now. So I phoned the old insurance company they said the guarantee still lasts for 5 years even though I’m not a customer any more.

Paid for whole new repair at a much better body shop and car was great again.

a11y

I’d be asking their insurer what repairer they intend using and take it from there.

Neighbour reversed into my wife’s parked car last year. We wanted our choice of repairer to repair it, purely from a trust point of view. Got quote from our choice of repairer, forwarded it to neighbour’s insurer. Not a problem.

Edit: just noticed your username. Burgoynes in Airth is who we used (and trust). Also the place behind the cinema on the retail park does excellent work to in our experience.

falkirk-mark

Think I will go to the local guy thats recommended and tell my insurance and her insurance to ram it. Plus I will need to hire a small van for the repair as a C1 aint gonna touch dog walking and mtbing duties

falkirk-mark

Yes a11y its Burgoynes that I want it to go to owing to their reputation.Went in to get the quote today so should have it Monday.
    Cheers for the help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance claim other party insurance co wants to fix car’ is closed to new replies.