Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Car Insurance – Am I going to lose my No Claims Bonus?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

My wife has just had her car broken into, lost a whole bunch of Xmas shopping. Does anyone know if I make a claim on the car policy will it effect our No-Claims? 9yrs NCB……..I’d hate to lose it for the sake of a few hundred quid. I thought I would ask STW before I go speak to the insurance company……

rickmeister

Check your excess, that may steer your thinking whether to claim or not… also, protected NCB ?

dknwhy

If it’s not protected, generally you’ll lose 2 years plus have to pay an excess.

psling
    Free Member

I bet that when you do ask the insuance company, their answer may be similar to at least one of the answers you get on STW and will differ in varying degrees to all the other answere here.

That may or may not help 8)

bearnecessities

Not sure, but that sucks 🙁

bigblackshed

Also check to see how much of personal items are covered. Some policies are next to useless.

mcboo
    Free Member

£250 excess for theft, dont have protected NCB……I guess what I’m asking is do they take ALL NCB away for a relatively small sum?

seavers
    Free Member

As above, protected? Also the Excess may be as much as replacing the presents etc. Although they may have damaged the car too which could be a costly repair so maybe a claim would be worth it.

sidders34
    Free Member

If its not protected then it will step back 2 years, you wont lose all of it.

As above check the excess and also personal effects cover section of the policy. There will probably be a limit of £100 or so and your theft excess and any voluntary excess that may apply. You may find that the excess is more than your limit so you cannot claim.

Is there any damage to the car?

If is is just for the shopping it may be worth checking you home insurance contents policy and see id they cover personal effects away from home. Probably be a lower excess and less effect on premium at renewal.

Chris

scotroutes

Bought on credit card? Some provide insurance of purchases until they make it to your house.

dknwhy

If it’s just glass damage you can claim for a new window and it shouldn’t affect your policy and is likely to have a smaller excess (usually £50). You won’t get any money back for the presents though.

wiggles
    Free Member

Unless protected will lose 2 years, sometimes this means it goes down to three as Reduced from 5 even if you have more.

IanW
    Free Member

What sidders said plus you will go back to 3yrs ncd and have a claim on your history. Unlikely to be in your interest to claim.

geoffj

You’ll have to declare it whether you claim or not. Even IF you don’t lose your NCD, the price will increase at renewal time.
    IMHO your better off claiming what you can because you’re going to end up out of pocket anyway.

DT78
    Free Member

You might be covered on home insurance if you have away from home type cover?

wiggles
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    You’ll have to declare it whether you claim or not. Even IF you don’t lose your NCD, the price will increase at renewal time.
    IMHO your better off claiming what you can because you’re going to end up out of pocket anyway

Or just remember it wasn’t broken into a stone just bounced up and smashed the window 😉

Then windscreen claim will cover window less xs no ncd loss or effect to future premium (usually).

Doesn’t help with the items though

mcboo
    Free Member

Yeh thanks all, going to have a look at the home contents cover, and the cards.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

I had 4 years NCB and had a smash, lost 3 of them but i’d imagine all policies are different. As you say if its only a few hundred quid i wouldn’t bother, sorry. 🙁

Daffy

If the goods were visible in the car, then it’s likely that you won’t be covered anyway. There’s a clause like that in mine.

br
    Free Member

If you are worried that the costs will be greater than the claim, then don’t claim.

sbob
    Free Member

Even with protected NCB you would still have to declare the claim so your insurance will likely rise.

Strictly speaking you should declare the theft whether you claim or not…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If the goods value can be recovered by any other means then I’d do that 1st regardless or not of wether it affects your NCD (it will BTW). Then just claim for a broken window, which won’t affect your NCD. just a small excess.

I had a no fault claim, someone reversed into my van whilst it was parked and locked, causing £1800 worth of damage. I had the 3rd party details and my insurance claimed from them to get it fixed, I had protected NCD but I’m still fighting the insurance now, 2 years later. ALL of my premiums have been loaded since the “accident” including the car which I’m a named driver on, I reckon so far I’m about £850 out of pocket as I have to declare any claim in the last five years come renewal time.

Claiming on car insurance would be my last resort these days, I’d pay a fair sum out of my own pocket before thinking about claiming again it’s been such a hassle.

bails

Similar happened to the gf. They didn’t get in but wrecked a lock while trying so had to use insurance to repair it.

She lost 2 years NCD as per her policy documents. It’s a “no claims discount” not a “no fault discount” unfortunately.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Car Insurance – Am I going to lose my No Claims Bonus?’ is closed to new replies.