Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • car in for MOT – too early to have winter tyres put on?
  • Markie
    Free Member

The car’s in for its MOT today and the garage will put on my winter tyres for free if I bring them along; too early or a reasonable call?

Leaning towards reasonable myself, but then think that last year it was around the start of November that they went on, so…

Daffy

Are you swapping the tyres on the rims or just swapping wheels?

Winter Tyres work best below 7 degrees and ablate faster above 13 degrees…given that forecast temperatures are for low to mid 20s for the next week, i’d wait a little while.

andytherocketeer

Use mine all year round in Germany. Wear on Conti Winter Sports is a fraction of that on identical size Pirelli P6000’s.

Most of continental Europe will change in about a month I guess.

marcus
    Free Member

You gotta be kidding if you are UK based. Sunday was a BBQ day and I’m sat here in shorts with the door open.

peterfile
    Free Member

You gotta be kidding if you are UK based. Sunday was a BBQ day and I’m sat here in shorts with the door open.

I don’t think he’s asking whether he needs them on, just killing two birds with one stone while the car is in the garage anyway (e.g. looking for advice on drawbacks of putting on early)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

They’ll wear a little quicker but bearing in mind that if you’re driving first thing in the morning to work then it’s not gonna be that hot anyway.

We did so little mileage in the 2nd car last year we’ve just left the winter tyres on all year and never had an issue.

One less trip to a garage is always a good thing in my book…

CaptainSlow

They may not brake or grip as well as the current tyres but should do within a few weeks. Shouldn’t be an issue unless you’re driving like a tool.
    If getting to the garage is a hassle I’d swap em now and save a trip

And now wait for the warmest autumn on record 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

I changed mine last weekend, early yes (Scotland), but the summers were past it and drove horribly. On the plus side I spent Saturday on the beach in 21 degree heat. 🙂

Murray

The Germans say O to O ie October to Easter.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Buy some OEM steelies and have the garage fit them to those. Then you can swap at your leisure.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I just picked up a new set of wheels to have winters fitted to last night.
    They will go on the car in about a month I reckon
    My Van runs winters all year round with no real detriment

trail_rat
    Free Member

without knowing what his current tires are the braking and wearing thing is a moot point.

fwiw i run winters all year round as CBA storing an extra set of wheels securely.

Northwind

Yeah, depends on which tyres and also on how much you’re saving by doing it this way. Sorry.

jekkyl

winter tyres?

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah the round black softer compound things responsible people use when there is a significant chance of heavy snow/rain and cold temperatures and they need to go places.

if your in the south you may not be able to buy these in your garages as they are deemed unnecesary – much better to just rant about it on BBC news for more gritting.

maccruiskeen

.given that forecast temperatures are for low to mid 20s for the next week, i’d wait a little while.

Depends on the time of day you drive. The forecast temps are what the temp will peak at in the middle of the day the temp at 7am and 7pm on your way too and fro from work are something else.

Its true that winter tyres will wear a bit faster in warm weather. But its only a bit (unless you’re doing 1000s of miles a week), I leave mine on all year they haven’t suffered significantly for it, if its convenient now do it now.

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks all, couldn’t post due to not knowing my STW password for my phone, but caught up with (and appreciated) thoughts before dropping the car off – and getting the wheels swapped over.

Tyres are already on steelies, so really it was just about saving me the hassle of swapping the wheels over myself.

I drive about 100 miles a week, so wear’ll be limited – and O to O sounds good, I’m only a week out then!

Remember to thank me as we now get engulfed by a heatwave which lasts until December!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘car in for MOT – too early to have winter tyres put on?’ is closed to new replies.