Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Car hit last night, no details left…….
  • RustySpanner

Well, a useless 10 digit phone number and ‘Sorry I hit your car, please contact me’.
    Likely hood of them coming back? Nil.

Will call the Police and let them know, just about to have a walk round and see if the neighbours noticed anything.

Can still use the car and have protected no claims, so realistically just the excess to pay.

But what kind of person just does this and drives off?
    Scuffers.

DrP

you need santa on a motorbike on the case….

It’s crap when this happens – we had similar too… jsut had to suck up the repair bill..

DrP

chip
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me last year.I Did not bother to ring the police, cost me £300 excess.

The whole thing was caught on cctv from shop two doors down, couldn’t make out the reg but they got out checked damage, went to the shop then drove off.

binners

Yep…. someone went right down the side of Mrs Binners car, and the car parked in front of her a couple of months ago, then just buggered off.

To scrawp down the length of two cars on a quiet residential street suggests drink driving to me, hence not hanging around. Or maybe they’re just a ****!

Anyway… sorry to hear it mate. As we found out, theres nowt you can do other than stump up the excess 🙁

maccruiskeen

Scuffers.

Thats not how you spell ‘Scousers’ 🙂

Its worth knocking on a few neighbours doors – its possible they made a genuine error in writing down the number or its possible they felt they had to go through a pantomime of leaving a number. Either way they did that because they thought someone had seen them.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Scuffers.

I thought it was an anagram.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well, a useless 10 digit phone number and ‘Sorry I hit your car, please contact me’.

Why hang around at the scene and go to the bother of leaving fake details rather than just drive off? Maybe someone spotted them and they wanted to appear to be doing the right thing.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

have protected no claims, so realistically just the excess to pay.

I hate to break it to you that despite this, next years premium may well still rise due to the claim. It sucks.

When it happened to me I was lucky enough to get a partial plate. The police were able to find the lad who did it – he was driving a car he had bought the day before, but had no insurance.

matt_outandabout

I hate to break it to you that despite this, next years premium may well still rise due to the claim. It sucks

This.

Mrs_OAB (unusually) drove and parked outside work (school) one day in Killin. A neighbour of ours who was 83 managed to smack into the Touran so hard it ripped a wheel off both cars. Despite being his fault (and admitted), a parked car in marked bay, our premiums went up for three years following. 🙁

RustySpanner

maccruiskeen
    – its possible they made a genuine error in writing down the number or its possible they felt they had to go through a pantomime of leaving a number. Either way they did that because they thought someone had seen them.

I shall also be checking to see if any of the neighbours called for a takeaway delivery.
    And if so, where frouemme.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Maybe someone spotted them and they wanted to appear to be doing the right thing.

Brings to mind the ubiquitous “I hit your car and I’ve been seen so I’m writing this note so that people think I’ve left my details” note that we see pictures of.

It’s an absolute PITA when this happens and then just encourages otherwise honest Joes to do the same thing because “well, someone did it to me a few weeks ago”. 😐

Mind you, on the flip side, many moons ago, I tapped a car when reversing, outside a small row of hairdressers, charity shops etc. I checked for damage, of which there was none, but because “I’d been seen”, left a note detailing exactly where I’d bumped the car and a telephone number. Had a call the next day from the owner’s son who decided he’d try and get me to pay for some serious damage on the rear wing of the car (even though I’d bumped the front bumper). I strung him along for a bit…”oh really, that’s terrible…can we get two quotes…how much do you think it’ll cost…oh that’s a lot isn’t it…hang on, where’s the damage again…oh right, can you just read out the note I left…ok, can you just **** off and stop trying to take advantage of a person’s better nature. Cheerio.” 🙂

taxi25
    Free Member

That will be just about everyone, apart from members of this forum. Had damage done to my cars or Mrstaxi’s probably about 10 times, never a note. Im fact I don’t know of anyone who had a note with proper details left on their car. It must happen but is very rare IMHO.

scaredypants

Anyone who’s pissed, uninsured or an utter ****

Seems to leave only DD ! 😀

(wait – might two of those points cancel each other out? 😉 )

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I hate to break it to you that despite this, next years premium may well still rise due to the claim. It sucks.

Mrs_OAB (unusually) drove and parked outside work (school) one day in Killin. A neighbour of ours who was 83 managed to smack into the Touran so hard it ripped a wheel off both cars. Despite being his fault (and admitted), a parked car in marked bay, our premiums went up for three years following.

That’s what happened to me several years back. A neighbour pranged her company car on mine (parked on a cul-de-sac side road) in the snow; she claimed and my insurance went up, despite my car being safely and legally parked and me being elsewhere. Apparently it’s because statistically I am more likely to make a claim after such an incident.

shermer75
    Free Member

So what happens when you call the number? It doesn’t connect?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Got a ding from a careless delivery driver I’m expecting a higher premium for having the cheek to be elsewhere at the time.
    Got a bump in a car park and she left a note (forced to by staff) disputed the bumper being rubbed back to black plastic she assured me it would polish out. I gave up and lived with it.

RustySpanner

shermer75 – Member
    So what happens when you call the number? It doesn’t connect?

[img]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62804000/jpg/_62804239_terry512.jpg[/img]

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Someone smashed by back doors in (literally, drove into the back of my T5 in the doctors car park and dented both doors and bumper).

Doctors had CCTV but couldn’t make out the number plate of the fkwit that did it so had to suck it up and get it sorted myself. Didn’t bother with insurance…

mrchrispy

wife bounced our car of a parked van last month, protected no claims but risk factor has gone up so it just means she’ll get full no claims on an increased premium. hence it goes up.

I’ve reduced he gin allowance as a punishment.

natrix
    Free Member

useless 10 digit phone number

Some old phone exchanges still use 10 digit numbers. What happens when you try ringing it?

RustySpanner

It’s a mobile number, sadly.
    Not recognised.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I cant believe someone hasn’t done one of them oh so amusing similar thread titles yet,
    “Cat hit last night, no details left…….”

bigmojo
    Free Member

I found a note on mine saying ‘Sorry I hit your car. People think Im leaving my number, I’m not’.

Theres no justice. Polish Lorry driver hit me on the M25. as good as uninsured, driving with flip flops on. Police not interested as no one injured.

All anyone can suggest is you ask neighbours. If might even be one of them (does the number look like it might be missing a digit?) and did they leave a name on the note?

ourmaninthenorth

Old people.

My car was parked in a hospital car park while I was in having a test for a very serious illness (so v stressful for me, though thankfully nothing to worry about).

I returned to the car to discover the side stoved in. No note and no obvious sign if any of the cars nearby were responsible.

Back to the porter’s lodge to register the issue and he mentioned that someone had seen something but didn’t take down the registration details.

After some hassle getting a copy of the CCTV (“data protection sir”), eventually footage of the guilty party’s car was provided and off I went to my insurer.

They then tracked down the culprits who fessed up immediately and it cost them (and me) a pile of money to fix.

Why confess at the first request but not leave a note/contact details or even inform the hospital porters? Turns out they were just visiting a friend, so it’s not like they were in having tests for a fatal condition..!

**** old ****!

angeldust
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member

That will be just about everyone, apart from members of this forum. Had damage done to my cars or Mrstaxi’s probably about 10 times, never a note. Im fact I don’t know of anyone who had a note with proper details left on their car. It must happen but is very rare IMHO.

I’ve had minor damage done to my cars over the years, and nobody has ever left a note. Wouldn’t stop me leaving my details if I did the same to someone else’s property. Don’t let the bastards drag you down to their level.

boblo
    Free Member

If the innocent parties insurance goes up, is that not covered under ‘uninsured losses’?

Andy-R

I’ve had this happen to me twice, once to my car and then again to my van. I just had to pay for repairs/repair it myself on both occasions.

Complete malakas.

johndoh
    Free Member

The ones that don’t think they were seen. As happened to me recently – but someone *did* see them. Fortunately they were driving a big wagon with the business name splattered all over it. I contacted them and the driver claimed ‘he thought he might have hit something but saw no damage’ so drove off.

The police weren’t interested and even gave me a bit of a lecture saying something along the lines of ‘so what will you do next time? Will you try to find somewhere safer to park’? (I was legally parked on a residential road).

bodgy
    Free Member

Bad luck, Rusty. There are some feckers out there.

Mind you, could be worse; I heard about this bloke whose neighbour’s bin blew over onto his car . . .

edhornby

happened to me once too, reported it to the polis and they made me produce all my details to the station in 7days !!! ****s

Alex

Feel sorry for you. I had a couple of dents from opening doors (car park was a bit tight) and no number left even tho they must have known. Then stupidly I caught an old van with my front bumper, left a note, he called me up said that side had been hit already (it was pretty beaten up but I knew I’d hit it!) and not to worry about it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It’s happened to my car (and previous cars) several times too.

I’ve never bothered getting damage repaired as it’s only ever been cosmetic and I tend to own old cheap(ish) cars and run them into the ground.

I picked up a cheap webcam the other day for the garage, it’s actually pretty good, i’m tempted to get the outdoor version to keep an eye on the cars
    https://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras-sport-dv-accessories/pp_622626.html

Security seems to have improved too, there’s no telnet access with a default 123456 password 😯 like there used to be with these things.

footflaps

John Lewis delivery lorries!

Scraped my car and drove off, even though I saw them do it!

Last time I scraped a car (Ambleside car park) I left a note. Owner phoned up and didn’t want to go through insurance so we just left it as I wasn’t paying cash.

Daffy

What’s the number? Could it just be a missing digit?

Cougar

Talking of premiums,

I recently moved off our company car scheme so found myself having to buy car insurance for the first time in about fifteen years.

My previous company car was involved in an overnighter, I came out to it one morning to find half the side missing. I’m guessing from the damage that it was from a truck.

When I spoke to the insurer getting a quote, I explained this. She said that they classify it as an “at fault” accident (even though I was in bed at the time) because there was no third party to claim against. She said this was standard practice, though how true that is I don’t know.

wwaswas

I think “at fault” just means they can;t mitigate their losses against a third party.

Maybe being a victim of this type of incident once increase the risk of it happening again?

simmy
    Free Member

My mates insurance went up for a couple of years after his parked car was hit.

Despite it obviously not being his fault, he was asleep at the time and it being the local councils van that hit his car, they said he was more at risk

BearBack
    Free Member

“at fault” as with no witnesses or evidence to the contrary, you may very well have smashed your own car up on the way home from the pub.

project
    Free Member

Thats the whole point of insurance to cover your loses,sadly the othr driver didnt want to be part of that contract.

nasher
    Free Member

Despite being his fault (and admitted), a parked car in marked bay, our premiums went up for three years following.

This happened to my brother, he demanded that the other insurers then paid an extra 20% of his insurance premiums to cover the increases. He eventually got it…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Car hit last night, no details left…….’ is closed to new replies.