Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Car Hire (Eire)
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I have no overdraft, no loans, no credit card, And I don’t want any…

Is there no way you can hire a car without a credit card? Seems a bit cock to me.

(In Dublin to be specific)

Any ideas?

MrNutt
    Free Member

mentalness

one quote (with Credit Card) was £154 Carhire3000

another from Dan Dooley was £300 (although they accept Debit Card)

odd odd odd

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure you know, but be careful giving debit card details to car hire companies, especially in Ireland – I’ve had issues with them 😡

Del

mentalness

agreed, though no surprise TBH.
    credit cards are useful. you get more protection when buying online, for one thing. it’s easier to hire a car too…

Saccades
    Free Member

Why do you need a hire car in dublin? Or do you want to do a bit of exploring too? Dublin is the only place in the country with good public transport and loads of taxis.

You can get disposable pre-pay credit cards and use them?

MrNutt
    Free Member

how very very odd,

called about five different companies, offered the following

24th March – 4th April

Avis = £306.00 toatl, no refunds
    Car Hire 3000 = £155.00 but require CC

but I’m gonna go for

Enterprise = £161.00 + £250 refundable deposit

now, who’s got horror stories about Enterprise? what’s this about being careful with debit cards and car hire companies?

andytherocketeer

Think they normally want CC as a bonus means of ID, and security in case they need to bill you for extra stuff afterwards? like returning it with a half empty tank or damage etc. Not sure a disposable pre-pay would work for that?

CC always handy to have. Pay it off by direct debit, then you never rack up any debt (well only for the month approx, between purchase and payment).

Not just debit cards, but *ANY* cards and car rental companies. They have all yer details, and they know when you’ll be away. Friend got done over after thinking nothing of the (major car rental company) guy noting down the 3 digit code, along with the imprint… until he got back. With a CC, at least you’ll probably still have functioning ATM card, after being done over, and hopefully not a cleaned out bank a/c.

Never used Enterprise.

cyberbob
    Free Member

It’s a double-edged sword really. It’s better for the customer to use a CC for a transaction as you’ll get more protection in case of fraud/theft/etc. But by giving over all your details to a complete stranger you’re also exposing yourself more to those things.

Best advice is to use a company that’s been personally recommended, and that goes with almost any industry not just car hire.

The car hire company i use have always been trustworthy and never had a problem with them. And i pay via CC!

I have heard a few horror stories about Enterprise, but from people who work there and say how terrible it is…not from people who have hired a car from them!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Here hare here

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Car Hire (Eire)’ is closed to new replies.