• This topic has 168 replies, 97 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 9 posts - 161 through 169 (of 169 total)
  • Car Envy.
  • dragon
    Free Member

Final word on Audi’s from the GSElevator

“Driving an Audi says you have some money, but nothing interesting to say.”

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think this is quite often the case with fast saloon cars. unbelievably rapid for a 4 seat family car however, they simply don’t excite. Audi’s are particularly ‘bad’ at this. Maybe they are just too good / competent to be fun?

Depends – the B6 RS4 was a great car and one that got rav reviews for how it drove. I spent some time driving one and thought it was brilliant; alright the bucket seats ate up some of the rear leg room and it wasn’t that big for an estate but it was a great car to drive and made a fabulous noise.

The same person then changed it for a C6 RS6 (V10) which he didn’t have as long and I don’t think he loved it that much deep down. It was hugely fast and very. very impressive but once you got past this, it was a tad dull. The engine / exhaust noise was far too muted, sport mode was unbearable because it ruined the ride and as soon as you hit the brakes / got to a corner you were reminded that it weighed 2 tonnes.

NZCol

I had a B7 RS4 Avant which was in my view the finest performance car I have had – list includes 993 Targa, 993 Turbo, WRXs, M3 so I’ve had a few decent cars in the past. It drove so well, was properly quick and you could get bikes on the back (I had a towbar on mine !)
    I tried the new one when it came out but I dislike the S-tronic box so that rules them out. I keep trying them but just cannot get on with them, PDK I could almost live with. Anyhoo despite being in the market for a fast small car I still drive my T5 van every day ! RS6 was just nuts, as you say its very fast but it a)massive abd b) incredibly thirsty – I got offered a work lease one for < £500 a month !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Inbred456
    Free Member

Out of all the cars I have driven none were as good or as much fun as the Vans I have had. Mini 1000cc van stock engine 48 Bhp but uprated metro 4 pot brakes and adjustable suspension with negative camber arms. Nothing I have had since could carry as much speed through a bendy section of B road without braking. For Mtbing Scudo van JTD. Surprisingly reliable and very capable. Two sliding side doors bulkhead and panelled out inside.

mmannerr

IMO I don’t want car to be “interesting to drive” on longer trips. 10hr trips are normal for us and q Audis are very good for those, especially in the winter.
    Haven’t had any long term experience with BMWs but have test driven last two generations of 3-series, x1 and 2-series tourers and while the fun factor is higher on beemers it is not enough.

plyphon
    Free Member

Someone I know has had an R8, few Porche’s, M3\s etc, and he says the RS3 is the best car hes owned from an excitement/joy of driving POV. I really want one.

I’ll either upgrade my Scirocco GT to a R or an S3

tinybits
    Free Member

IMO I don’t want car to be “interesting to drive” on longer trips. 10hr trips are normal for us and q Audis are very good for those, especially in the winter.

This! That’s the point that most miss when they decry a fast saloon as being ‘dull’ it’s about effortless, cross continent style driving. Not worrying about an overtake or cruising speed. With no vibration, wind noise etc with an engine that’s just purring along.
    That’s what the RS5 etc are about – not going sideways around the topgear track.
    However, that’s not the same as having car envy is it? I absolutely have car envy every time I step out of South Kensington tube and pass Lamborghini London and see a Hurrican. Wouldn’t want to commute in in mind!

Sundayjumper

I’m currently lusting after a 640d. I’m so middle aged.

iainc

was driving up M74 yesterday after a morning ride at Drumlanrig and saw a blistering procession go by at well over 100. a new six series, an Audi A7 and an RS8, all tight on each others tails and weaving across the lanes… Boy racing with big toys !

Was sooo hoping to see some flashing blue lights, but not unfortunately …. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 161 through 169 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Car Envy.’ is closed to new replies.