• This topic has 168 replies, 97 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • Car Envy.
  • Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

Why get car envy when with lease and other finance packages available now most people could get their hands on any car, they may not be able to actually afford to run the car, but they could own one.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

It’s a nice car, no question

I’m not sure it’d be what I’d choose in that position (I haven’t looked at the costs), I think I’d rather have an M4, or maybe an S4 avant (if they still do those)

Something about fast estates that is plain awesome!

M6TTF

except most people don’t ‘own’ any of these cars, they rent them.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

fwiw – I admire the engineering in modern road cars, performance or not. I don’t covet them as they are tools for enabling me and my family to do things – biking, camping, kids to activities etc.

I can see that in a work environment of car one-upmanship, it may be possible to spend too much time dwelling on this sort of thing though – if you let it happen.

Similar thing in bikes. Pre-race/ride, I’m often chatting to folk and someone’s always got a new bike to get a little envious over. But then I ride/race and it’s all forgotten – I’ve had a fun time burying myself going as fast as possible and trying to beat as many folk as possible. My old trigger’s broom is just fine. But the same thing will happen next time we all meet up or race. It’d be the same if I raced dinghies, kayaks, rally cars… BUT the difference is that this is what we do for our kicks, so why not, within budget, set yourself up to go as fast as possible.

But road cars? Once my functional requirements are done – who cares.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

Ahh it’ll pass.

A few years back my Mate bought an RS4, which quickly took the shine off my new (to me) Exeo Diesel, then another in response bought an C63 – I was really envious, for about a week or two, and hatched many hair brained plans to get something similar myself – but it passed, the financial commitment to buy and run one of these things is obscene, whilst the new ones should work fine and you’ll have a warranty if they don’t you’re still paying double for the same car with a big engine all the time, you’re still paying double or treble for fuel, all the time, you’re still bouncing along the road on rock hard suspension all the time, for that few moments, once in a blue moon when you can use the performance – the slightly older ones are worse – both of my friends have had theirs develop faults without warning that need £1000 or more to make them work again, and there are bigger pitfalls than that – another friend with an older RS6 had his gearbox fail – £6k please.

I guess some people like that feeling of having it, or that feeling of appreciation from other petrol heads, but I’ve never had that, I’m too self-conscious I think, but they make my mates happy and I’m happy for them.

mrblobby

or that feeling of appreciation from other petrol heads

Is it not a bit like some middle aged middle manager type deciding he wants to get into road biking (it’s the new golf don’t you know) and spunking eight grand on a new Pinarello?

Fair enough, you’ll appreciate the ownership of it and maybe get a lot of joy from riding it, but you’re never going to race it and give it a damn good thrashing. Not sure how much recognition you actually get from real petrol heads.

over-engineered, identitikit ego pram

😀

My girlfriend is getting a new company car so she’s been getting test drives of the options. Which means I’ve been driving them too. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, yeah very nice but they’re all basically Edwardian technology with a few trinkets added.

They all have far more in common with my Dacia Logan than they differ from it.

Premier Icon willard
    Subscriber

The funniest thing I heard at a sportive the other weekend was from a middle aged (older than me) bloke in amongst a group of similar chaps in lycra.

“I used to think golf was expensive until I got into road cycling”

He was right, but so very, very wrong.

Anyway, I looked into getting an A4 a few years ago. decided I would rather have the newer, better spec and bigger Passat for less money than I would have to have spent on the Audi.

jimjam

I get exhaust note envy.

prezet

I can appreciate a nice looking car. But they never excite me – these days they all look much the same. Plus I could never justify the kind of money they cost – would rather run an older car that my kids/dog can trash and stick the money saved into the mortgage.

Edukator

Dacia Logan

Estate?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

jimjam – Member

I get exhaust note envy.

I think I might, if I didn’t still have the motorbike in the garage, no supercar on earth sounds as good as my £2000 bike 😆 It’d probably start, if I asked it nicely.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

There’s a huge amount of irony here – people judging others cars, and whether they’re needed or not

I’d say there were more people across society that would value/appreciate/understand/get having a nice car over having a bike or bikes worth more than a few hundred quid, let along over £1000, let alone even more than that

We’re actually the weird ones here…

mrblobby

whether they’re needed or not

Does anyone really need 300+ bhp on UK roads 🙂

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Since getting rid of my car a few years back and just having a bike, I’ve lost all interest in cars. Wife still has a company car, but I only drive if I have to.

Pfft kids and dog would trash it in hours.

Ain’t that the truth!
    I sold my old Forester after 10 years of hauling dogs, logs, kids and bikes and replaced it with a Merc .

That suffered more in a month than the Subaru did in ten years.

Mind you, modern Subies aren’t as tough as they were either…

jimjam

Northwind
    no supercar on earth sounds as good as my £2000 bike .

To you, which is all that matters. To me no bike on earth sounds as good as a V8 or V12 (V8 and V12 bikes excepted of course).

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

This is my brothers Alfa Giulia GTA Stradale.

If I’m being completely honest I’m a bit jealous even if I can rationalise why I don’t own one.

Edukator – Reformed Troll
    Keep up the good work. Before long when you see an S5 powering out of a roundabout and over the zebra crossing as pedestrians wait you’ll be thinking “anti-social polluting **** in his shitty AK47 Panzerwagen putting peoples lives in danger an squandering resources”.

LOL

mrblobby

That really is beautiful.

johndoh

I have a very nice car (A6 Avant Black Edition Quattro V6).

I am fed up with stressing about kerbing it (wife has done it several times), having it keyed (happened twice now), having people drive into it (which has happened four times in the last 3 years) and generally trying to find time to keep it looking respectable.

My wife has a 10 year old Mazda 3 (which we have owned from new) which I don’t stress about if it gets bumped in a supermarket car park.

I prefer driving the Mazda and when the lease expires on mine next year I am buying a couple of years old hack car (I’d prefer to get a Mondeo estate, my wife fancies a Qashqui +2).

I actually feel relieved that I have finally moved beyond wanting the latest car with the most gadgets.

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

It would’ve looked less of a “look at me” post if you’d actually said what you’ve ordered

Ok… It’s a 911 turbo

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

I have other financial priorities so don’t have a fancy car, but it’s not really fair to judge others. If you want one, and can afford it, go for it

Kids and dog will wreck a nice car, I’m even holding off buying a T5 because I don’t want them to wreck it. My old 5 series is getting no love from them but I’ve got to the stage (some time ago) that I’m not worrying about it

Ok… It’s a 911 turbo

Nice I picked up my gt3 3 weeks ago

dragon

Loads of nice cars around by me and honestly an Audi is not a specially desirable car, just a ten a penny rep mobile. Only cars I can think of that stand out for me locally are a Ferrari 488, Mazarati GT and a split screen VW camper van. Although the Jaguar F-Pace did interest me for a few minutes.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

mrblobby – Member

whether they’re needed or not

Does anyone really need 300+ bhp on UK roads

Well, lets not go down that road… I would argue the most power anyone ‘needs’ is 89.9 BHP, that’s how much the Nissan Serena Diesel had in the early 2000s, whilst it was the slowest accelerating car of that, or many years previously (about 30 seconds to 60) it functioned as a car and could carry 7 people with some luggage.

If your requirement is to carry less people Comrade you might not need more than 40 for a little 4 seater hatchback.

Class 1 Worker Drones without families might avoid looking too frivolous in front of Leader by opting for a 3bhp scooter, but prepare to hear shouts of “hark at ‘im with his scooter – too lazy to work to the fields”.

aracer

mindmap3 wrote:

I like cars, so if people can afford a nice once, fair play. There’s enough people who will look at what people spend on bikes, guitars etc and think that’s mental.

It’s an order of magnitude thing – for the cost of the service you mentioned up there you could buy a flipping incredible bike. In fact for the amount extra you’d spend in a year on the lease on a boring German repmobile which goes a bit faster than other boring German repmobiles you could buy a very nice bike which would give you years of enjoyment. (I’ve no idea how much guitars cost, but suspect the same could be said regarding them as regarding bikes).

Sure people can do what they want with their own money, but people seem to be prepared to spend an awful lot of it to “own” a metal box with wheels which is better than another metal box with wheels <1% of the time. We might not be in the majority getting our enjoyment from bikes, but that doesn’t make us weird – weird is spending a lot of money for very little extra joy.

mindmap3

We might not be in the majority getting our enjoyment from bikes, but that doesn’t make us weird – weird is spending a lot of money for very little extra joy.

Bust some people with those expensive cars do genuinely get something out of them. A chap I work with ditched his Octavia for a 520d M Sport and is much happier – it rides better, is more more comfortable, has more toys that make his life easier etc. It’s a nicer place to do 30k a year in (for him).

Other people I know with quick cars enjoy the noise etc.

rocketman

Define ‘need’

hora

Does anyone need 300bhp+?

I’m currently on 260bhp but I’d also be happy on 65bhp tbh.

Tbh torque is better unless the car is very light and nimble.

FunkyDunc

My new car on order has something like a 85hp electric motor that will more than comfortably get it above the legal speed limit in relatively quick time (I think about 12 seconds). You can select to only use that as a power source.

It also has a petrol engine in it that means combined power is over 250hp. (which gets it to 60mph in 6 seconds)

In theory I could drive everywhere just using the electric 85hp bit. However most people who have the car are saying they always end up using the 250hp because its fun and they can.

aracer

mindmap3 wrote:

Bust some people with those expensive cars do genuinely get something out of them.

I’m not denying that – simply suggesting that they spend a lot of money for that compared with what else they could spend the money on which would give them the same or greater enjoyment.

Not that I was thinking of a 520d M Sport when talking about expensive cars. If you’re doing 30k a year (which isn’t presumably the case for most owners of really expensive cars) then you want somewhere comfortable to sit. Though as mentioned up there, my cheap Mondeo is a very nice place to sit for long motorway trips and despite being a bottom of the range model I can’t think of any toys it doesn’t have which would make my life easier.

dragon

I’d also be happy on 65bhp

That’s around what my car is currently, for commuting it is absolutely fine, it eats up motorway miles perfectly okay and I have been on hols with 3 people in it and no one died. It can even be quicker in the tight stuff than bigger cars, if driven that way.

Sure if you need to tow stuff or have a big family etc. it isn’t going to cut it, and yes the 0-60 time is pretty dismal, but so what?

And since it’s a VW then the switches etc are all very similar in style and location to other cars they make costing nearly 10 times the amount.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Fast estates / saloons don’t hold any fascination for me. I’d love another Elise, but equally thinking if I’d instead sunk that into my mortgage I’d be 20% closer to paid off makes me a little sad now.

That said, it made a cracking wedding car!

Is this by any chance for sale?
    I need it!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I just remembered the only time I suffered from slight car envy – was yonks ago, on hols in Mammoth Lakes and it was quite snowy. We had a little Chevy hire car. Went out for a meal with a couple we met and when I saw their massive 4X4 hire truck in the car park I was rather gutted that I hadn’t booked something so practical.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I have very little interest in cars now, especially fancy ones.

I do empathise with Kryton though, I get terrible van envy when one of my pals rocks up in a van with air con and leccy windows. The flash gits.

Really brings out the green-eyed monster.

haha, no jealousy what so ever about cars, the majority on our roads are company cars for salesmen or on hire purchase. to show off what the occupent cannot afford nor needs.

but when someone tells me they are going on holiday or travels to xyz , then my ears prick up and the tears well up..

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Is this by any chance for sale?

*everything* is for sale (well not quite). Price is usually the issue though…

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default.aspx?carID=9003&i=8

I hate driving so much that I consider it such a waste of my time, 20 hours a week I spend sitting doing nothing just holding steering wheel and looking at roads and cars passing by as they passed me or I have passed them, This is what my workmates or people i know do not understand that if I hate driving so much why did I bought a fast(ish) car (not a 300bhp fast though) .. and the way I explained it is the only way I can get to pointA to pointB the quickest is to drive and own a fast car so I really have no choice.. drove my kids yaris to work before, I swear I almost went suicidal… nothing against cars, I just hate driving…

but there is something about Maserati GT that would change my mind..I would even settle for a ghibli

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Car Envy.’ is closed to new replies.