Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Car entertainment and Peugeot ‘wiring’
  • DickBarton

Got a Puggy Tepee and the radio is mince…ipod plugs in but trying to find any tunes is a headache.

So, considering a new stereo, but lost on where to look for a decent price.

USB post needed, touchscreen would be preferred, dab nice but not got it just now, Bluetooth with a decent method to see contacts and also a decent way of seeing tunes/playlist/artists, etc on the connected device(s).

Android Auto could be nice as that would allow a bit of sat Nov.

2 din to allow a decent screen to show things like contact list…current solution shows 4 names at a time and no quick way to scroll through.

Would also be nice to have a rear camera – for reversing and also viewing the bikes on the rack whilst we drive.

Only other issue is it needs to work with the Puggy wiring, probably need an adapter for the steering wheel controls to work and also allow the central console screen to work as that allows configuration of car settings.

Ta.

TheFlyingOx

I just put a Kenwood DMX7017DABS in my truck and I’m very, very impressed. I had exactly the same criteria as you and this is the cheapest one that ticks all boxes by a very long shot. £365 vs close to £500 for other manufacturers. If you’re willing to drop DAB then most of the big names have an Android Auto head unit for under £300.

It’s really impressive, piece of piss to fit (albeit with a bit of fiddling to hide the DAB aerial and GPS receiver wires) with a bog standard ISO connector. Internal windscreen-mount DAB aerial gives me good reception in deepest darkest Fife – I was advised to ground it to the A pillar, scratching paint off down to the bare metal, and this seems to have had a marked effect on signal strength

I actually got mine off eBay, £345 with a DAB aerial included. I think the Halfords one needs a separate aerial.

bsims
    Free Member

Is it CANbus?

DickBarton

Yes, believe it is Canbus…Ox, will chat more at weekend!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes its canbus and its the canbus connector he 100% needs to wire the screen through to the stalk controls as once you remove the stock stereo the stalk controls are what let you change the dash settings. But the stalk only wires to the stereo and also the screen onky wires to the stereo, without the adaptor theres no way to wire stalk to screen and thus your date and time will eternally be wrong.

bsims
    Free Member

With the right adaptor to solve any connection issues as trail_rat said, will mean you can choose pretty much any unit you want. It has been a while since I have changed anything like this, but my understanding is the CANbus system allows different components to integrate.

The adaptors are easily available, most likely where you get the headunit.

DickBarton

Aye, figured I’d need an adapter for connection, but no clue on what I’m doing…have changed stereos on old cars (much older) with no remotes so I’m concerned I hump this…

bsims
    Free Member

I think you might find it just like days of old…

spooky_b329

Sony XAV-AX100 is a much better looking unit than the Kenwood/Pioneer alternatives.

The only downside is it doesn’t have built in GPS, this doesn’t matter as it uses the phone for the navigation.  Except that Android Auto ignores the handbrake signal and uses the headunit GPS to determine when you are stopped, this determines when you are allowed to browse deeper into the menu’s and presumably would allow a keyboard.  Because it cannot see the GPS signal from the headunit, it defaults to drive mode all the time, not a huge issue as the speech recognition is pretty good, but annoying if you want to find a specific playlist (you can only go so far down a list before it gives you a ticking off as it thinks you are moving) or it refuses to recognise a random place name you are speaking.

CountZero

Got a Puggy Tepee and the radio is mince…ipod plugs in but trying to find any tunes is a headache.

Yeah, sucks bigtime, doesn’t it! Unfortunately, all the Pug/Citroen’s I drove were somebody else’s, so swapping the headunit wasn’t an option. You’d think, after what, nearly twenty years of iPod and iPhone production they might, possibly, have got a handle on getting a working interface right.

DickBarton

Haha, aye…Doing some research and both suggested units are good but need the USB port on front of unit as I don’t fancy cutting a hole in the dashboard for a connection to be made.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Haha, aye…Doing some research and both suggested units are good but need the USB port on front of unit as I don’t fancy cutting a hole in the dashboard for a connection to be made.”

im guessing the fact you are looking at double dins means you have the very basic headunit and not the middle of the three options – mines has an AUX and a USB plug on the dash in the panel under the stereo ? – and a larger display in the top of the dash instead of the basic three line job – which makes finding tunes on my ipod or usb stick quite easy.

sony really do have ipod interface nailed – i have an old as shit one in the van with a 2 line display and still finding tunes is easy as hell.

DickBarton

Rd4 with the USB/aux plug and a daft storage area underneath – which doesn’t hold anything without it falling out.

Even if I could found the touchscreen Puggy radio and see if that improves things but I can’t find one cheap at present (although looked a week ago).

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont do that …. theres one thing everyone who has one of the touchscreen peugeot radio agrees on is that its utter buggy garbage landfill junk….

DickBarton

Ok, ta for the heads up

spooky_b329

Don’t be concerned about cutting holes, its easy and you can do it somewhere invisible, for android auto there is no point having your phone in a holder, so you can often tuck the cable under the centre console and into the centre armrest, or into the glovebox.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Same car, same boat. You can get an adapter off ebay to allow the stalk controls to work. I’ve yet to find a joined up solution for the other requirements. I suspect it will end up being kludge bits together.

A cheap interim untidy solution is to put a Bluetooth receiver in connected to the glove box aux in. Google btr006 for what I’ve got.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Car entertainment and Peugeot ‘wiring’’ is closed to new replies.