Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Car engine oil
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Got a new car so obviously for about 3 months I’ll be very fussy about its care before forgetting.

The handbook says 5-30 oil is what it needs. I was looking on the Castrol site and stuck in my reg, and it came up with the correct car, then said 0-30 for Castrol Edge or 5-30 for Castrol Magnatec.

Obviously other oils are available etc. etc, but what’s that ^ all about? A mistake?

cloudnine
    Free Member

It might need a certain spec oil or depends what service plan it’s on.
    What make and model of car?

toofarwest

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

Recommended oil can actually vary due to climate etc so multiple types can be right and there is overlap.

The first number IIRC refers to the cold viscosity and the latter relates to the hot viscosity (I am rusty so worth checking that).

A lower first number has the potential to circulate around the engine quicker and thus start working quicker and most modern cars have quite low first numbers. Using too high can actually be bad as it is too thick when the engine is cold so modern cars with high tolerances and delicate bits can have problems.

In contrast older (classic) cars that leak and with lower tolerances can have a problem with modern low first number oils and have quite high first numbers.

Down at the 0-30 and 5-30 level there is not a lot of difference in the viscosity aspect and the most important thing to make sure is that it is an approved oil for your car – ie it meets the correct manufacturer specs. These will be listed in the handbook and on the oil.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What make and model of car?

Toyota Verso 1.6 diesel

too farthest – good link, thanks

andyl – do you mean pick the correct xW-xx, or check more specs than that?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I know it’s actually a BMW engine, but the handbook simply says (paraphrased) Toyota 5W-30 oil or equivalent quality – no further specs quoted.

thomthumb
    Free Member

main dealers don’t seem to be too bad on oil ime.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I probably would if they weren’t 2hrs away, but not going that far for a bottle of oil if I can avoid it!

duncancallum

It’ll be an overlap on temperature ratings 0-30 will be say -25 to 10deg and 5-30 -10 to 40deg.

If it’s diesel make sure it’s dpf suitable

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah yes, I saw about the DPF thing on the AA website – that’s the ACEA rating/grade I think?

andyl
    Free Member

andyl – do you mean pick the correct xW-xx, or check more specs than that?

more than that. 5w-30 or 0w-30 wouldnt concern me. I mean manufacturer approvals. eg VAG, Mercedes and BMW* test oils and approve them if they meet the required spec.

*+ other makes

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is there somewhere to check that, or simply a case of asking Toyota?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think Edge is fully synthetic and Magnatec is semi-synthetic so that might explain the different recommendations between those two oils. I always like the oils that are charged like Magnatec. Given that all of your engine wear happens in the first 5 or so minutes since starting the engine, then having a thin film of oil being retained on the engine internal surfaces is an obvious choice for me.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ask your dealer?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, I probably should do that 🙂 (I bought via a broker so have no ‘relationship’ with any dealer, not that that prevents me just ringing one up of course).

I think Edge is fully synthetic and Magnatec is semi-synthetic so that might explain the different recommendations between those two oils. I always like the oils that are charged like Magnatec. Given that all of your engine wear happens in the first 5 or so minutes since starting the engine, then having a thin film of oil being retained on the engine internal surfaces is an obvious choice for me.

I’ll see what’s available tomorrow, but that makes sense.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ring the service dept of your local Toyota dealer.

bear-uk
    Free Member

5-30 fully syn will be what you need for the engine. The next thing to know is if you need low tar or low sulphur to suit the emissions side of it. Pop into local factors, they will tell you from Reg Number.

jools182
    Free Member

Put your car in the opie oils site

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s way more to oil than just the 5w30 numbers. Each manufacturer has a spec number that the handbook says your car needs. The oils print the spec numbers that that oil meets on the back, or under the label. I need VW 504.00 or 507.00 for example.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Aye I’m seeing that the more I look into it. The problem for me is that while the manual goes into great detail about the required oil specs for most of the Verso engines, for my engine it simply states

‘Toyota recommends the use of approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 5W-30 Premium Fuel Economy for 1WW/2WW engines”. Equivalent engine oils of matching quality can be used’

without giving any further detail. I can find a Toyota 5W-30 Premium Fuel Economy Oil, but perhaps this alludes to a different 5W-30 oil that is specific to the BMW sourced 1WW engines?

I’ll just ring them in the morning I think.

Trekster

bear-uk – Member
    5-30 fully syn will be what you need for the engine. The next thing to know is if you need low tar or low sulphur to suit the emissions side of it. Pop into local factors, they will tell you from Reg Number.

This.
    My Kia requires a low sulphur oil. Cheaper from dealer than anywhere else if it could be found! Found some at a local Shell garage @ twice the price 🙄 1 top up required every 5k or so before the 20k Mark then 1 up to 30.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Look again at the handbook and it will list some oil specifications that are suitable for your car probably starting with ACEA or API, there may also be a Toyota oil spec there. Then go to Halfords or wherever and buy some oil that states on the container that it meets one of those specs.

It may well be that both Edge and Magnatec are suitable for your car if they both carry the appropriate spec. The important number is the second one which is the viscosity at 100°C. The first number refers to cold start performance where lower is better.

I used to formulate engine oil for a living so trust me and RTFM.

EDIT: didn’t see your third post. Manual not much help then

thegreatape
    Free Member

No problem 🙂 it’s a bit annoying that there is just one engine such info is absent for. Maybe it’s because it’s new or maybe it’s because it’s not their engine?

andyl
    Free Member

Found some at a local Shell garage @ twice the price

Oil at a petrol station is for people who have run out and are in an emergency.

Dont buy oil at petrol stations for your servicing needs!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Dealer emailed me a scan of the relevant page of their workshop manual, so I have the grade and ACEA specs I need. There is a specific Toyota oil for this engine, being a BMW engine, but as expected there is no issue using other decent oil of the same specs.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Car engine oil’ is closed to new replies.