• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by irc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Car door opened onto another car…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…9 yr old son opened car door onto another car in a car park, owner of car was sitting in his car, our door has made a mark/small dent in his rear door.
    He’s going to get a quote as I said I’d pay up rather than insurance( if it’s over £300 I’ll go through insurance)

What do you reckon it will cost to get a door dent out ???
    In all fairness the guy was okay, 6month old Peugeot.

Thanks in advance

theotherjonv

I reckon it’ll be above £300 to be done properly, even if it can be pulled out the respray work and polishing in so the repair doesn’t look at odds with the rest of the side of the car will be several hours.

If it’s a new door skin, more like £600 – £800?

Big chunk of no pudding for unfitkiddiewink

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

If the paint isn’t broken then a dent-devil type PDR company should be able to do it at a reasonable cost-probably £75 or so. Depends if it is on an awkward reinforced section which is hard to get at. Had a guy do a dent on the front edge of my bonnet and it was amazing to watch, the dent just gradually reduced until it was completely gone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why more cars don’t have sliding doors is beyond me. Stops this straight off the bat.

Anyway without photos it’s nothing more than a crystal ball thread.

Even with photos it can be hard to price.

Having seen what out of insurance work costs (IE when you tell them.its not through insurance) you’ll be surprised how little it actually costs

bonni

My son did the same about 5 years ago. Windy day, eager 7 year old, small parking bay.. the door flung open and created a decent dent in a hot hatch’s rear door! I left a note and spoke to the owner later by phone; he seemed a decent bloke. It ended up costing me 75 quid.

mashr

If in Glasgow the recommended PDR guy is about £50. You’re basically paying for time too, so he’ll pretty much remove everything he can in around 30mins

phil5556

If the paint isn’t broken then a dent-devil type PDR company should be able to do it at a reasonable cost-probably £75 or so.

Don’t be surprised if someone wants it done properly Vs PDR on such a new car.

Although on the other side of the argument a painless repair won’t affect the corrosion warranty.

I recently paid £300 for what looked like a kid’s bike handlebars and pedal sized dent in my door.

mashr

Don’t be surprised if someone wants it done properly Vs PDR on such a new car.

If the paint isn’t affected then PDR is correct. Anything else is a waste of money. The one I had to call out for was the best part of 12” tall and pretty deep, panel looked like new afterwards (and it didn’t look like new before the dent happened)

bearnecessities

6month old Peugeot

Insurance would probably write it off.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I left a note and spoke to the owner later by phone

Fair play! So many people would have just **** off without saying anything.

simonloco
    Free Member

Had the door blown out my hand up Caerphilly mountain into a car, shat myself as the guy that got out was 7ft tall & massive.
    He was laughing & aid not to worry about it 😮

andybrad

800 quid for the missus opening the door into a tt

DezB
    Free Member

Insurance would probably write it off.

You joke! If they report to the insurance and they have courtesy car on their cover, the claim could easily go into the £1000s. Recent tiny knock I had – the other party claimed 19 days car hire, nearly £3K.

DezB
    Free Member

So many people would have just **** off without saying anything

I will in future – see above. Just can’t afford to report it with the way insurance companies work.

anagallis_arvensis

Child locks

chestrockwell

Wish any of the 8 or so people that have done the same to my Kuga had offered to fix it. First one happened after I’d had the car less than a week. Kind of took the sheen off my brand new car at the time.

taxi25
    Free Member

I left a note and spoke to the owner later

I’d love to live in your world, sadly in mine I’ve never even heard of this actually happening 🙁.

chestrockwell

Oh, and when I put a dent in next doors BMW I had to go through the insurance as it was going to cost £1000+. Was a decent dent though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ good point!

If it’s a new door skin, more like £600 – £800?

Not sure they still do doors skins (because they’re crap), just complete doors.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Sometimes the issue is not the dent but the colour matching – I had a kid from one of my coaching sessions knock my (new to me) car with his handle bars – 10mm dent, no broken paint = £300 fix but took 3 goes to get a colour match. The lesson from the bodywork guy was don’t buy white cars*- using the colour code from Mazda the paint, I kid you not, looked pink! The guy had to hand mix it to get it right.

*bought because of the Bose Soundsytem and not the colour, honest.

taxi25
    Free Member

My last one, the culprits note must have blown away in the wind or been eaten by seagulls 🙄

irc

And MrsIRC complains when I park at the far side of supermarket carparks.

Then you do that and the number of times you come back and someone has ignored the other dozen empty spaces and parked beside you

Life was simpler when I drove a scrapper and didn’t care about dented bodywork.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Car door opened onto another car…’ is closed to new replies.