Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Car dilemma…. (Singlecartrackworld)
  • Kryton57

So I have a 10yo 330i saloon, with thule racks does me ok. UNTIL I changed my job and the 1000m per month is starting to hurt from a fuel cost perspective.

Thing is, although its in good nick etc no one wants to buy it as its not really a car for this economy. But I need a diesel mile muncher and while I’m at more practicality. To add to the issues wifey is on maternity, 2 kids in nursery and I live london so life isn’t cheap and payment beyond £170 a month isn’t achievable. My options as I think they are:

A) lease something and cut my losses on the Beemer
    B) buy a £3k autotrader classic stw estate car and use the Beemer as a deposit probably accepting 1/2 of its private sale value

C?

sbd16v
    Free Member

I’ve just been there had a nice astra coupe turbo but had a 6 month course that ment I was travling 1200 a month so was going to Cost a fortune, cue the corsa deisel cheap as chips to buy insure and run 60 mpg on a run, 50mpg with3 guys a weekend’s worth of mtbing gear and 3 bikes on the tow bar.

I’ve always wanted a 330i and there falling to the price I might think about one when I drop the miles again what mpg do you get in real life out of it

Kryton57

This week – with the racks on – I’ve had 29.7 recorded on the clock over 450 miles. Half of that was on the M1, and that also include 2 mornings of 40 miles each stop start on the m25.

properbikeco
    Free Member

why are those your 2 options?

how about: sell the bmw and buy a car you can afford to run?
    have you actually calculated the fuel saving and weighed this up against the cost of changing your car? You may be surpised…

sbd16v
    Free Member

Yeh fine for short trips but can’t match the 50 plus you can get with a deisel, what about a 320d ? Good boost on mpg and around the same value

njee20
    Free Member

Isn’t 1000 miles a month about average? If thats work mileage surely they’re paying something? I imagine it’ll take you a long time to recover the cost of a new car when your fuel costs are going to be about what you’d be paying for the new car, assuming you own the 330 outright.

Edit: basically what properbikeco said, buying a new car to save money is probably a false economy!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only thing i would consider is – what does the wife have

Do you need 2 massive cars

Get a small diesel with descent power and comfy seats

Fiesta /Lupo / polo/fabia something like that

Id also look at buying such a car new – used the prices are mental as they are en vogue

Run it for 2/3 years flog it itll still be worth something nice with 40k on clock due to economy and low road tax and repair bills minimal.

Big cars in which youll spend most of your working life traveling round in on your own – burning money

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh ad you say trade in will be half private value – up here i could buy a 10 year old 330 for <1500 quid with about 85k on the clock.

Probably find the trade in is closer to the sale price than the optimistic autotrader adds that never sell.

BigJohn

Have you worked out the monthly saving on fuel if you bought a car with better MPG?

Edit – as the bloke above said an hour ago.

Kryton57

njee20 – Member
    Isn’t 1000 miles a month about average? If thats work mileage surely they’re paying something? I imagine it’ll take you a long time to recover the cost of a new car when your fuel costs are going to be about what you’d be paying for the new car, assuming you own the 330 outright.

Edit: basically what properbikeco said, buying a new car to save money is probably a false economy!

Yes, it is paid for and I get 20p per mile fuel from work (becuase I also get a “car allowance”). Buying a new car would be more expensive than paying for the fuel extras, yes.

No brainer I guess, but it needs re-gassing and a new rear light lens so it “feels” expensive. 😳

Kryton57

Lets see – 1000 miles a month at 28MPG = 36 gallons x £5.90 = £212.40. Minus 20p per mile or £200 is…

oh, £12 difference. 😳

Thats funny it feels worse.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And if your car did 50mpg youd spend 95 quid a month less on fuel – would take alot ofmonths to pay for your new car….

br
    Free Member

Yes, it is paid for and I get 20p per mile fuel from work (becuase I also get a “car allowance”). Buying a new car would be more expensive than paying for the fuel extras, yes.

You also need to claim the difference (at your tax rate) between the 20ppm you are paid (what’s a ‘car allowance’ got to do with it, it’s a red-herring) and the allowable 45ppm.

Kryton57

Br I am doing that.

Trail rat, yes it seems obvious now….

ji
    Free Member

C) get it converted to LPG and roughly half your fuel costs. Have a 4.3 litre Lexus that runs a dream on LPG, so it can be done on big engines.

gmex619
    Free Member

I have a 2.0 mondeo with a 32-38 average mpg. And it carries bikes with ease.

TiRed

Drive slower. Save the difference.

properbikeco
    Free Member

and take the rack off when not being used

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont understand what gmex driving a mondeo offers to this 😉 it would be about a million miles before changing to your mondeo broke
    even let alone saved anything.

martymac

id echo the thoughts above about slow down a bit, take off the racks when not using, check tyre pressures, empty the boot.
    use the car til its dead, buy an economical one next time around.
    and, id also add, 29 mpg isnt bad at all for a car like that, my wifes 1.6 petrol focus only does 33 (round town though)

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve a 316 estate, and a defender. Would love a bigger engined beemer :D. Economy is over rated.

Would echo comments above, generally it will take a while to get anything back if you change (unless you do it for no cost.)

Kryton57

Despite the fact the rack is on effect 4 locks and 4 bolts I can’t be arsed to keep changing it. However, now its summer ill use my soft bike bag to carry the bike around on the odd occasion I do I think.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Car dilemma…. (Singlecartrackworld)’ is closed to new replies.