Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car dealer "selling for a friend" – red flag?
  • theteaboy
    Free Member

I’m interested in a 6 year-old car which has been on a local dealer’s website for a while. I called to arrange a drive and was told “we’re selling it on behalf of the dealer owner’s friend so it’s not always here. It’ll be here Friday”

This raised a red flag in my mind as I guess any warranty/ problems might be messy and there might be a question about VAT.

I’m going to talk to them about it but am I being paranoid? Is this common?

captain-slow
    Free Member

Personally I would take the approach that it is either

1. a deal that is too good to be true meaning I would avoid
    2. a deal that is about right meaning there are other options in the market

Either way I would take some persuading…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its such a loud alarm bell it has a flashing light attachd.

He is basically saying- nae warrenty. Now why would he do that.

Shouldnt be on his site either- bet he is wanting dealer prices as well.

I would walk.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theteaboy
    Free Member

bet he is wanting dealer prices as well

More, actually! I’ve already told him that the price is unrealistic and he agreed.

Thanks – confirmed my fears

konabunny
    Free Member

He is trying to get out of some sort of obligation the law puts on dealers

If you bought the car, the law would be on your side and he would be held to those obligations. But you know what’s better than having the law on your side? Not having bought a dodgy car in the first place…

captmorgan
    Free Member

“I’m interested in a 6 year-old car which has been on a local dealer’s website for a while”

If it was a deal would it have been on the site for a “while” is the question I’d be asking my self……

steveh

It’s not an alarm straight away, ask about warranty etc. It could be the truth and if he’s offering normal dealer service and cover on it then why not if the price is right.
    I’m not sure what you mean about VAT either, no vat on used cars.

theteaboy
    Free Member

If it was a deal would it have been on the site for a “while”

It’s a fairly rare car and is definitely overpriced. The dealer said that the seller is unrealistic and isn’t in a rush to sell.

As for the VAT question, my understanding is that dealer sales are VAT-able and dealers either pay VAT on the full value of the sale or on the profit and have to choose the relevant scheme. Obviously private sales are not VAT-able so it may be in their interest to offer a private sale instead.

steveh

You are right in that a dealer will pay vat on the margin on the sale, would only be on the full price on a new car or if the vat had not been paid before.

As I said you need to chat with them to understand how it’s being sold.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not a red flag really.

The guy (owner) is either using his friends business to advertise a private sale, no problem there, as long as you know that’s what the deal is

Or, the dealer is selling the car, with full dealer responsibilities, and charging the owner a fee for the service.

Either way is fine, you just need to know the score, and offer an appropriate amount for the car depending on the circumstances.

“Not in a rush to sell” though, normally means that the seller wants to wait around for a mug to pay over the odds for the car, and not willing to do a realistic deal.

crispyrice

Erm my car dealer friend has sold my cars as a favour to me… nothing sneaky taking place…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car dealer "selling for a friend" – red flag?’ is closed to new replies.