Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)
  • Car dealer. Disorganised or flogged the car I put a deposit down on?
  • andyrm
    Free Member

Suggested next step:

Pick up phone. Cheery call “hi mate it’s Benz. How’s the motor doing? Wondered when I could pop up and give you done cash and collect it? Cheers”.

Frighteningly simple resolution.

jekkyl

allan23
    Free Member

In my brief experience of IT Support for Car Dealerships, it’s basic, very, very basic.

The owner and mechanics generally haven’t a clue and pretty much all the modern e-things are done by the office staff – who may be part time.

Phone and speak.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They’re probably under new management and they’ve never heard of you.

M6TTF
    Free Member

no car. but his wife had a great christmas this year

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I suspect that the OP has called the garage to find his car is ready and waiting, all done. The guy is really pleased to hear from him, and has been waiting for him to call.

Due to this the OP disappears from STW for a while to save face, having started a thread about a possible fraud that he hadn’t actually confirmed.

bruneep

Come on tell us.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just to keep the troops entertained while this saga unravels.

Here’s a glacier moving.

Bregante

allthepies – Member
    Just to keep the troops entertained while this saga unravels.

Here’s a glacier moving.

Worst. Gif. Ever.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Worst. Gif. Ever.

I thought that, but it does move. Just checked it in photoshop, and the animation frame kicks in around 45secs.

Bregante

Nope. Still not seeing it…

bruneep

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Come on OP we’re all waiting!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

🙄

jekkyl

Maybe the Op’s gone out for an evening drive….

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Maybe we should send up a sign?

Drac

Hahaha! Bruneep have you kept that on your clipboard ready?

benz
    Free Member

Well…..the next instalment……

Having had a bit of a busy day at work I did indeed manage to call and managed to leave 2 messages on voicemail asking for a call back – which has not yet happened.

I also went back through all communications to note that after I coughed up cash / deposit to avoid said dealer having to fund the trick bits I wanted fitting there have been very regular communication generally with me asking for an update, getting no response, following up and then getting a response along the lines of “In hand, just need to push things on”, “Yes, should be no issues with picking it up as I’d also like to get this completed”, “Yes, car is here, need to get things you want done, which I will do”, “Yes, your plan to pick the car up is doable within your timeline”, “Yes, slight delay, in hand now”, etc, etc.

I can count at least 2 emails supported by the odd telephone call per month every month since all those months ago. Each basically me trying to chase things on.

So….unless said dealer has left this earth (but can still post on Facebook and return texts to my mate) I might just assume that he is avoiding me for some reason?

So….who might be the aggrieved party in this situation?

At this point I have not named anyone.

I’m optimistic that tomorrow said dealer may contact me and I can come on here and share a red face and a happy ending.

If this optimism does not play out then I shall be more than happy to provide more specific information for your enjoyment and titillation.

Now, where did I put those Z1’s

m0rk
    Free Member

What kind of work are you having done to it?

Remedial / maintenance or mods?

Just wondering if he’s unwilling to outlay on mods

mattyfez

Sounds like you’ve been stitched up..sorry.

benz
    Free Member

M0rk,

You might just be right, but plenty online images of happy customers leaving with their modded cars.

Work initially required was some paintwork rectification (agreed as part of the sale / purchase) plus some other bits hence my payment of a deposit plus more to fund those bits plus their fitting.

As an aside, if I go onto the DVLA and pop in the reg number, does a SORN mean the car is off the road or does it mean the plate itself is ‘retained’? The plate was fairly unique.

mattyfez

Sorn only really means it’s not taxed..not surprising really seeing as he’s had it so long..if he’s legitimate he’s not going to pay road tax on it if its been sat in a yard and he’s got no idea if/when the customers going to pick it up.

benz
    Free Member

Matty, thanks.

Fully understand this logic. With a firm date for pick up I was going to arrange road tax to suit.

Ah well, if this turns out for the worst and this is the worst thing in my life, lessons learned and move on.

andysbeans
    Free Member

Call trading standards and get their take on it. Have you complained to him about the car or any of the work at all? Call me a cynic but may there are 2 sides to this story. But reading standards will sort it. Hope you’ve got proof of payment.

MartynS

Why don’t you get your mate, who he is in contact with, to ask him to contact you…?

Drac

Interesting but I’d still have visited him before now to see what is going on or cashed my chips and asked for the cash before now.

benz
    Free Member

AndyB,

None that I am aware of. Hands shook, stuff agreed, cash paid, communications ongoing.

TBH if there was an issue then all he needed to do was advise and then we work it out.

However can certainly provide copies of all comms plus proof of bank transfers made should Trading Standards want it. Would also be quite happy to post on various fora associated with this particular car model if this does not play put positively. Obviously avoiding any slander. My lawyer mate will guide accordingly.

benz
    Free Member

Drac, the 4.5hr drive and having enough to keep me busy otherwise has meant email, text and ‘phone has been the only practical method of communicating to date.

And being a man of peace, love, understanding, awareness of CCTV, God, would I ever consider driving to visit with one or 3 of my more ‘boisterous’ mates for a friendly chat and resolution to this potential issue? No, as that would be wrong.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Leave a message on his Facebook homepage that way he can’t miss it and nor can anyone else,something along the lines you have stolen £xxx nod not delivered car etc,pretty sure you’d get a quick response

Drac

I wasn’t suggesting going with burly mates rather heading up yourself, for £1250 I’d make sure I found the time.

Anyway good luck and hope it turns out good.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Shirley isnt this a case of letter before action and small claims?
    Trading standards / CAB will be able to guide you too.

I’m sure you will get it resolved either way.

v666ern
    Free Member

Why don’t you use;

a, workmates mobile
    b, friends mobile
    c, telephone box

😐

He’s clearly got your number saved so is letting it ring out. If he thinks its a potential sale he’ll answer.

Im starting to lose sympathy, it seems £1250 to you isn’t that significant as it is to others on here… 😕

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That seems a bit harsh, v666er, if the OP is indeed being diddled.

Ok, they are being very lackadaisical about it, and the online tough guy veiled threats are hilarious, but no need to kick a man when he’s possibly down.

cchris2lou

He probably hasn’t done the repairs and he is trying to gain some time by not responding.

wwaswas

Assuming the car’s been sat in a storage yard/shed for a year I’d be a bit worried about all the stuff that doesn’t like being left idle for long periods of time…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Car’s long gone and dealer is now crapping his pants trying to come up with a plan to get the £1250 he spent a LONG time ago. SOunds like he’s a legit trader so you’ll probably get your money back but it might take a bit of forthright, in person/writing*, encouragement.

*not an e-mail, something recorded delivery, copies retained for legal gubbins etc.

v666ern
    Free Member

EDIT – Hope it gets sorted OP

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

If its the dealer I am assuming it is, then I am in a similar (in rough principle) industry.

I doubt he has sold the car, its just that you have left it a long time, theres no margin in it and you have fallen down his priority list. Keep calling, get your name back in the frame and it will get sorted I am sure.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I see he has a landline, which is a good start, reading his ads he sounds like a straight up chap.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

He may well have not got round to doing it, kept fobbing you off with emails thinking he’d do it next week…nex tweek….etc, and is now trying to buy hmself some time.

Call from a different phone, ask him straight what the situation is.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Car dealer. Disorganised or flogged the car I put a deposit down on?’ is closed to new replies.