Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • car crash, not at fault – using a claims service?
  • stupot
    Free Member

Had a minor bump this morning. Van ran into the back of me.

The local garage has suggested i contact a claims recovery company, rather than getting my insurance to sort it. Apparently its easier, quicker, and means i wont have to temporarily pay any excess.
    Anybody else used one of these?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Would just get insurance to sort it myself. I can only some an extra company will want their slice of any payment this leaving you short.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Why use a claims service? Just go straight to the insurance company…. unless you’re after a fake whiplash claim in which case I’m oot.

alibongo001

Nooooooo!

I had a claims company as part of my insurance service a while ago.

I watched helpless as a lady scraped the front of her mini down the front wing, both doors and the back wing of my car. when she stopped I opened her door and took her keys. She was taken from the scene in a police car and got a 17 month ban for drink driving.

The claim company were still dithering about the claim almost a year later.

It took a fairly direct conversation with them outlining the above (as I was annoyed and fed up of repeated requests for information) until they finally sorted it. If I remember correctly one of the many conversations I had was them discussing a knock for knock offer from the ladies insurance company!

Do it yourself, you will save yourself time and hassle!

tron
    Free Member

We used Europa Consultants a while ago for a no fault claim. They sent out an assessor and did a proper valuation on the car. The standard insurance company route is to offer 70% of Glass’s or CAP book value.

You can do a the arguing yourself, and I would if I ever had a write off that was my fault on comprehensive cover, but when you can get an accident management for nothing, I don’t see why you wouldn’t. It’s enough aggro being driven into, let alone arguing with the third party insurer to get the right price for your car.

I did a stint at an insurance assessors years ago, and the accident management cars got more comprehensive repairs authorised.

hora
    Free Member

OP that garage will get a referral fee.

Accident management companies take a big slice. This is passed down along with whiplash claims onto our premiums.

You being rear ended is straight forward.

I even went direct to the other drivers insurer.

Tron no offence but accident management companies and you are one of the reasons I have to pay more, because of people like you and their inflated charges on courtesy cars and services.

My boss had an accident – other driver admitted responsibility. She went Bmw Mini garage who recommended a accident management company. She got a courtesy car and waited TWELVE WEEKS as an alloy/trim was apparently on ‘back order’ (staff member collusion?).

Anyway other party disputed costs and accident management company called to remind my boss of the CREDIT AGREEMENT/T&C’S that she had signed with them. I.e to recover their costs from someone.

Enter contact with them eyes wide open.

Theyll initially assure you its all quick/fast and theyll handle everything.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Hijack, I got rear ended last Sat and the driver legged it. The police advised I wait to see what the driver said before contacting my ins. co. Nearly a week later and theyve not been round. In the mean time she could have fixed the car and deny all knowledge.

Do I contact my insurance now or continue waiting and if nothing happens cough up and fix it myself, rather than hike my premium?

hora
    Free Member

Why would the Police advise wait? Contact your insurer. Is the other car insured though?

Your insurer will be able to trace their insurer through the reg.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

In case there was no evidence I assume and you have to declare any accidents whether at fault or not now?

One driver insured on the car, who was driving though..

tron
    Free Member

Hora, I rang Europa and said “I’m not interested in a hire car, just getting the right value for the car”. And they were perfectly happy with that and sorted the claim out for me. If the insurance companies weren’t trying to pay out 70-75% of book value on every claim, then there would be no need for the accident management firms…

hora
    Free Member

You know you are supposed to provide proof of the cost to get into a similar car and never accept the first offer?

Plus its your insurer that liases with the 3rd party usually. So why did you cut out your insurer? It cost someone something extra. I went direct as I wanted a fast-track and used my head. Car repaired/all cleared/finished within the week.

konabunny
    Free Member

So why did you cut out your insurer? It cost someone something extra.

Eh?

sbob
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

Eh?

An accident management company will charge for their services, this will cost the insurer and premiums will rise as a result.

Europa do have a reasonable reputation if you do feel the need to use one, they are often recommended on Pistonheads and member “anniesdad” works for them and has helped out quite a few of the forum’s users.

stupot
    Free Member

Am told car will be collected, courtesy car provided etc. (handy as we only have one car). Also told no claims and excess wont be a problem
    no dubious whiplash, just a new towbar and bumper etc

stupot
    Free Member

After speaking to my insurance, seems they will also use a claims management company, so not sure its much more expensive for the ‘industry’, and hence us. On the other hand unclear of the actual benefit,

chrisylad24
    Free Member

I am an estimator in a body shop and deal with these companies a lot ,I would recommend you go with your insurers management scheme as they will get your claim sorted quicker most of these management companies make there money from long drawn out credit hire on courtesy cars and inflated labour rates hope this helps

codybrennan
    Free Member

+1 for what chrisylad24 says. You don’t need a separate accident management co. It adds nothing- except cost for us all.

tron
    Free Member

Plus its your insurer that liases with the 3rd party usually. So why did you cut out your insurer?

Unless you’re TPFT. Or don’t fancy paying out your insurance excess for a while. Or really don’t feel like spending your lunch breaks arguing with the third party insurers whilst you’re trying to get on with life and get over your injuries.

The long and short of it is that insurers try and avoid paying proper market value for write offs. I know this as a fact, having worked in the industry.

Do you actually know anything Hora, apart from what you’ve read on PH / Honest John / righteous insurance payers monthly?

stupot
    Free Member

Interested in this write off value argument. My car isn’t worth much, say a grand.
    the garage has given a quote for a new bumper and towbar totalling a grand. The bike rack mount is also bent&cracked. I don’t want the car to be written off, as long as its safe then the rack mount is my only concern. To me it looks like the bike rack mount is the only real damage, tow bar doesn’t look deformed sand the bumper is gouged/scratched.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I just got off the phone with my insurance, as the other driver didnt stop they cant contact their insurance without their permission or without the police giving me the other parties details.

Theyll write my car off and charge me my excess, and ill be carless. Thanks but no thanks

stupot
    Free Member

wysiwyg that’s rubbish, hope the police can get details for you. Can’t believe the insurance industry is allowed to so obviously everybody off.

RustySpanner

These companies wouldn’t exist if insurance companies delivered the services they charge us for and are legally obliged to provide:

Replacement vehicle if required.
    Proper repair at the garage of your choice.
    Effective recovery of losses etc.

I worked for the first big ‘Accident Assistance’ company in the UK – Three Arrows.
    It was completely legit.

I’d take a call from a driver involved in a non fault accident & assess liability.
    If confident of success, we’d provide a replacement car if required, arrange repair, then claim from the third party.
    If very confident, we’d fund the repair too.
    The innocent driver would not be liable for any cost.
    We made money because we owned the replacement vehicles and charged standard hire rates.
    We tried to mitigate costs as much as possible because the third party’s insurane company would challenge every penny.

Two sides to everything…

Hohum
    Free Member

This thread is of interest to me because a car drove into the back of me on Wednesday morning whilst I was waiting at a roundabout.

The 3rd party and I looked informed our insurance companies, but put the claim on hold pending some investigations by myself into trying to sort out the damage cheaper. That did not work out and we have decided to go the insurance company route.

One thing that has amazed and confused me over the last 3 days is the number of phone calls that I have received from solicitors wanting to progress my third party bodily injury claim. One of them this afternoon told me directly that they were acting on behalf of my insurance company and myself.

Okay, I thought, let’s go with them, they can help me sort out my claim.

Earlier this evening I phoned my insurance company to tell them that I wanted to go down the insurance route and get my car sorted out. I explained that Martin Lewin Solicitors had been in touch and that they had told me that they would be dealing with my legal side.

The lady I spoke to at my insurance company did not know the name of these solicitors.

I am amazed how these companies get your details and then lie to you about who instructed them to contact you.

I have cooling off periods with these companies so I reckon I will contact my insurance company again and take advice from them about what I should be doing.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Threatening ton place your claim in the hands of such a company is a good way of getting someone else’s insurance company to pull their finger out if its obvious that they are liable but they are dithering.
    costs rocket when those parasites get involved.

PePPeR

wysiwyg, don’t forget when it comes to your renewal that you will now have to declare the accident and your premium will be affected!

You really aren’t going to win!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

God knows. Hoping as I wasn’t at fault. But we shall see

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Proof is everything when making a claim the management companies and insurers are truly soulless its just money to them its very frustrating trying to help genuine people to get the service they pay for

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘car crash, not at fault – using a claims service?’ is closed to new replies.