Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Car cleaning products , recommend me some :0)
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Just bought a brand new car and want to keep it looking as good as poss, any recommendations for polish/wash/interior etc ?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Autoglym stuff is very good, if a little pricey

schrickvr6
    Free Member

By polish I’m guessing you mean sealant or wax, are you looking at the budget stuff or happy to spend a bit for something really good?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Better stuff if poss , have just had a look at auto glym, looks good but have never used it before ?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Autoglym

wolly
    Free Member

Really like dodo juice stuff smells great works even better and a uk brand

Frankers
    Free Member

£6 to the local Albanian hand wash every couple of weeks for my new car

itsmygame
    Free Member

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/ try that.

Also clean your car is a good site to buy stuff I’ve used them before.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

For wax I’d recommend Collinite Marque D’Elegance, it lasts and lasts with a really deep shine, 476 last even longer but you will lose a bit of depth (slight in the big scheme of things). I usually layer over that with Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 which makes things look really glassy. Wash, detailing spray, paint cleaner/glaze I usually use Chemical Guys or Megs.

stats

I recommend starting with this;
    Pressure washer, snow foam lance (around £50, specific fitment to pressure washer), snow foam liquid (Meguiars Detailer Hyper Wash). These products are to snow foam the car, it’s a pre wash and removes the majority of contaminant on the car.
    Car shampoo (Turtlewax Wash ‘n’ wax is ideal for extra shine), 2 buckets (any, mine are from B&Q, dont buy ones with grit guards, waste of money) and a lambs wool wash mitt. Use the two bucket method; one bucket with hot soapy water (clean) and one with only hot water in it. Dip the wash mitt into the clean bucket and clean a small section of the car, rinse in the dirty bucket and then dip back into the clean bucket to clean.

For the wheels, use Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner diluted 1:5 lightly scrub with a EZ Detail wheel brush.
    For the tyres use a small amount of Zaino Z-16 on a cut sponge or applicator pad.

Most of the best products are available on PolishesBliss.co.uk, as is lots of advice, Zaino products can be bought from CleanYourCar.co.uk

cloudnine
    Free Member

Learn how to wash it properly… Go check out detailing world.
    Basically use a sheep skin mit and 2 buckets of water.. one with the soapy water and one with just water and keep rinsing dirt mit iin clean water and put clean soapy mit back onto car.
    There’s all sorts of sealants and waxes.. have a look at http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/ for a good range of products. Get a good drying towel, some bilberry wheel cleaner and a few decent microfibres for buffing.
    Most importantly… Don’t wash you car with a sponge.

stats

Check out a site I’ve been building on detailing, AwesomeDetail.co.uk

Not complete but it’s such a massive topic with so many products on the market.

Autoglym are OK, but are nowhere near as good as proper detailing products.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Autoglym aqua wax is really good stuff.

Gary_C

A couple of quid in the jetwash once every 3 months or so for my car…

iainc

I knew a guy who took his alloys off every Saturday to give them a ‘proper clean’ 🙂 no kids or hobbies…

nealglover
    Free Member

£6 to the local Albanian hand wash every couple of weeks for my new car

Give me a ring when it needs Machine Polishing to get rid of all the damage done by gritty sponges and cheap wash leathers 😉

I love those guys, They keep me in business with the damage they do to paintwork over time. 😀

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Bilt Hamber cleaning products are good. Lots of choice and clear instructions, seems to be cheaper to buy directly from the manufacturer though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

neal, what do you recommend for tide marks on seats? (Ahem, no sniggering…) They’d been cunningly concealed by a valet when we purchased the car but have been there since. 😐

nealglover
    Free Member

The only thing that will remove water marks from seats fully is a proper Valet with an extraction machine and a proper detergent.

Shouldn’t cost more than £40 to do all the seats in a normal car, and I would offer a guarantee to return and do it again if any of the marks returned once the seats dried (its hard to see if they are totally removed while the seats are damp)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fairy Nuff. Anyone you can recommend in Bristol? (Long shot…sorry.)

nealglover
    Free Member

Bit out of my Area 🙂

Try Jamie on – 07932 915 243

He’s in Weston Super Mare but I think he covers Bristol too, but may want more than just a seat shampoo to make the trip over.

robdob
    Free Member

I have found the autoglym upholstery cleaner works very well on my Astra seats, and doesn’t leave a tide mark. But I do clean it often and any marks are only water. It doesn’t leave a tide mark.

Don’t take it to a hand wash place
    Don’t use a petrol station jetwash
    Don’t use a car wash.
    Don’t let anyone drink in your car
    Don’t let any kids in your car.

Waxing and polishing doesn’t take long if you use good stuff and use it carefully and methodically. And if you wax reasonably often your car doesn’t get dirty as quickly and is easier to wash when you get to it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks neal. It needs the works tbh. Looking to trade it in this week so needs to be looking nice and looked after. 🙂

br
    Free Member

tbh I never clean my car (longest so far was 4 years and 160k miles) until it either needs selling or (if a company car) going back. And then I just have it valeted by the local place.

Looks as good as new.

nealglover
    Free Member

Thanks neal. It needs the works tbh. Looking to trade it in this week so needs to be looking nice and looked after.

If you don’t get any joy from Jamie, email me – nealglover@gmail.com and I will ask some mates from Bristol who they use.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hokay. Will do.

nealglover
    Free Member

Mr Darcy, possibly a better option would be Richard Lock – 07973 836134

He’s in Bristol twice a week normally and is Very good. He will sort it out no problem.

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey … I think I need to spend more money cleaning my car.

ell_tell
    Free Member

My car is quite old (a Mazda 323) but it was expensive to me and I like to look after it and keep it clean.

My cleaning regime (say after a winter of road grime) goes something like this:

– wash/shampoo car to remove dirt
    – give wheels a clean using wonder wheels or similar
    – use a clay bar (Meguiars or similar) to remove any surface deposits on the paintwork.
    – if any swirl marks or dull paint is noticed use a light cutting compound such as Meguiars to restore paintwork.
    – apply polish to restore paintwork shine – I use Autoglym super resin polish
    – I then finish with a wax to protect the bodywork. Currently using some Meguiars carnauba wax, which smells nice too.
    – finally someone inevitably opens their car door into mine in the car park and I then think sod it, whats the point.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Edit: double post

chaos

We have a detailing place up the road that offers some sort of protective coating that they say avoids the need to wax for up to 3 years. Do you know what this actually is and if these coatings are any good?

As advertised here:- http://www.autovoguesystems.com/index.html

renton
    Free Member

Op what colour is the car??

Also @schrickvr6

surley you will be removing the collinite by putting a layer of jetseal over the top??

I always use sealant and then wax.

Op start like this …

Snow foam/presoak

Alloy wheel clean

Wash using two bucket method.

Dry using microfibre waffle drying towels.

if you can see or feel any tar spots then de tar using tar remover.

Then re wash and dry.

You can clay the car at this point if the surface feels rough.

Polish.

Sealant.

Wax if you want.

Cup of tea.

Products……….

Wash : chemical guys maxi suds.

Tar remover : Autosmart Tardis.

Wheels : Im currently using 3m alloy wheel cleaner

Door shuts and wheel arches : Autosmart G101 all purpose cleaner.

Polish : By hand I would recommend Meguiars deep crystal polish or Sonus SFX-3 Final Finish Polish

Sealant : Fkp1000

Wax: Chemical Guys – Pete’s 53 Paste Wax

Hope this helps

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Duragloss 501. Very very good. No whitening on plastic or rubber, works on glass.

Mix with 601 if you fancy.

Top off with 105 (again, mixed with 601 if you want).

Can last up to a year, used by a funeral home on their cars.

BigJohn

I have found the autoglym upholstery cleaner works very well on my Astra seats, and doesn’t leave a tide mark. But I do clean it often and any marks are only water. It doesn’t leave a tide mark.

Don’t take it to a hand wash place
    Don’t use a petrol station jetwash
    Don’t use a car wash.
    Don’t let anyone drink in your car
    Don’t let any kids in your car.

Waxing and polishing doesn’t take long if you use good stuff and use it carefully and methodically. And if you wax reasonably often your car doesn’t get dirty as quickly and is easier to wash when you get to it.

But it’s still an Astra.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

+1 for autoglym cleaning products, or Mer as a polish.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Detailing world, the car washing equivalent of train spotters 😆

schrickvr6
    Free Member

surley you will be removing the collinite by putting a layer of jetseal over the top??

Sorry you’re right, or it just wouldn’t bond to the wax, it should have read “layer that over” not “layer over that”.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Car cleaning products , recommend me some :0)’ is closed to new replies.