• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mc.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Car Brake Disks – how to decide?
  • JohnnyPanic

So, the front disks are shagged on my diesel Focus.
    I’ve no worries swapping the disks & pads over but having problems deciding on make.

The Ford parts are around £120 for the pair.
    Looking around online and matching specs to my car & wheel (300mm vented 5 hole for 16″ rim) I can get them from £27 to £45 each but how to decide which ones?
    Is there any difference between the cheapo & not so cheapo with the same specs
    Which makes are OK?
    Pagid, Eichar, Textar, Bosch, Delphi?

Any guidance welcomed, thanks.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Pagid are find put them on my CRV no issues.

noltae
    Free Member

Try establishing a long serving loyal relationship with a mechanic – Then put your trust in him ..

duncancallum

id stick with a brand, the cheapo stuff is poor, I could knock a set of cheap pads off in under 7000 miles in my mg.

pad wise stick to a good make, ensure is OE spec like: ferrodo premier, pagid, bosch

disc wise similar really just go for a middle of the road like a pagid/bosch

JohnnyPanic

Thanks for that – only make I’d heard of was Bosch.
    Ordered Pagid disks & pads from Euro Car Parts and they’re in stock just down the road from me 🙂

That’s my day sorted 🙁

JohnnyPanic

And, noltae, I do normally, there’s a garage I use for most things near work. They replaced my alternator and swapped my tyres round before Christmas, and within the next month they’ll be MOT’ing & servicing the car. I’m just trying to lessen the bill with stuff I can do myself.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Those are are normal brands of reasonable quality.
    Textar, for example, made the pads sold by a manufacturer of a previous car I had as their own, but you could buy the same thing much cheaper direct from a factors. Same p/n markings & bits in the box too..

CHB

Pagid are pretty good, ATE are even better, especially for pads. Eicher are Eurocarparts own brand made to sound proper and “Germanic” I have read that they are not great quality, but have never tried them personally. I tried Mintex once and was not impressed.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Pagid is Mercedes OE iirc

cp

I use pagid discs and pads, they’re fine, as good as originals.

andyl
    Free Member

Pagid OEM on a lot of makes. I use pagid on all our cars – good performance, well made (cheap pads can fall apart) and don’t break the bank.

Other brands I use are mintex, textar (pagid, minted and textar all owned by tmd friction). Brembo also do good stuff and their normal performance stuff is not expensive, Bosch and benedix are well known quality brands and ferrodo, ebc etc. Cheapo brands may be okay for discs on a none high performance car but stick to branded pads.

Also recommend the pagid brake grease, also sold as minted cerratec. Cheap and much better than copper slip.

Minted, ferrodo etc have different grades available which vary in performance and life greatly. Also cost. I find it hard to see past pagid from ECP in all honesty.

jota180
    Free Member

Have a google for mtec brakes

They usually have some good deals on quality stuff

roblane65
    Free Member

Used mtec discs once on me audi and they weren’t very good got a couple of thou out of them then had to be changed .very bad brake judder, wouldn’t go near them again.

unovolo
    Free Member

Got Mintex discs and pads all round on my Cmax and have had no problems with them.

Got Mintex pads on the front of my Modus and just put Pagid shoes on the back again all seem fine.

I thick most well known branded stuff is much of a muchness nowadays.

properbikeco
    Free Member

pagid are part of tmd friction

they supply discs/pads for a large number of european car plants

sounds like you made a good choise

molgrips
    Free Member

Pagid discs come with a sort of paint to stop then going rusty. Given that rust us usually the big problem with discs, they will have my repeat business.

JohnnyPanic

Pagids fitted and working nicely – way smoother than what was in there. Even though there was plenty of life left in the pads the disks were pretty rough.

Oh and BTW, Calliper slide bolts were 7mm Allen Key. Who on earth keeps a 7mm allen key in the garage. That caused some head scratching.

hora
    Free Member

18quid difference..

andyl
    Free Member

ATE brakes by any chance? Pretty sure it was ATE on my old car with 7mm allen key sliders.

JohnnyPanic

Hora, Ford Disks were £120 + £60 for the pads.
    Pagid were £106 for everything.

Don’t know if they were ATE brakes.

mc
    Free Member

Those are all retail prices though.

Proper trade prices open up a whole new world of profit margins 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Car Brake Disks – how to decide?’ is closed to new replies.