Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Car boot protection (liners/mats)
  • benp1

Just bought a new (to me) car, a 2011 E class Merc estate with the 7 seat option (so 2 seats fold up from the floor when you want them)

I had a 5 series that I traded in for it and that was absolutely wrecked from general use, including kids and dog. We now have 2 dogs so I’d like to sort some protection soon

Both dogs are black labs so have black hair, it’s a black interior so their hair won’t show up too badly

I’d like some protection for the floor, and maybe the sides and boot sill. Definitely the floor though

The problem is that I need to be able to take it out quickly and easily, and also be able to roll/fold it up while out so I can store in while the 3rd row is folded up into place

My 2 options are, I think:
    1 – cheap rubber mat
    2 – nice rubber mat with a lip (£65 – http://www.carbox.co.uk/acatalog/Carbox_Boot_Liner_MB_E_Class_(W212T).aspx?subCat=6108)
    3 – generic boot liner
    4 – made to fit boot liner (£110+ http://www.hatchbag.co.uk/mercedes-e-class-7-estate-2010-onwards)

The thing that puts me off the good rubber mat is also one of the best things about it – the lip. A lip will keep any liquid or crap on the mat, but I’m concerned it may make folding/rolling up for storage in the boot difficult (while the boot is occupied)

The thing that puts me off a proper liner is the ease of putting it in and taking it out regularly. The ones I’ve seen have velcro round the edge and loops for the headrests, which is great. I’ve also read that they come out easily for when you want to clean it, but can they taken out and put back in regularly and will it cope with this sort of use?

I just had some blankets down in the back of my 5 series before, I’d like something more elegant than that. The boot on this car is huge, biggest available actually, so generic stuff might not fit so well anyway

Thoughts/input welcomed please!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bought an Over the Top boot liner years ago. It’s now on to a third Volvo, having outlived two! Money well spent, IMO.

northerntom
    Free Member

You could buy some tarpaulin and use that? waterproof etc and easily removable.

Also if you wanted to you could buy one big enough and ‘fit’ it into the car.

twisty

Got a LIDL boot liner/seat cover. Cheap, has a few velcro bits for sticking up the sides, fairly hardwearing material, was more than large enough for an octavia estate.

PrinceJohn

I’ve got a hatch bag for my astra, it’s brilliant. Worth it in my opinion over a tarpaulin.

dknwhy

I’ve got a Tourneo custom minibus/Van thing and just got 4mm rubber mats off ebay. £50 for the whole van including the front. Came pre-cut to the right shape etc. Cheap enough to replace whenever they get tatty.

rossburton
    Free Member

I almost bought a fitted liner for our car as our yellow lab sheds heavily and his hair gets right into the boot carpet, but then I saw the price. Not sure a £5 bedsheet from Dunelm is the right look for a merc though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 Hatch Bag, and yes it’s easy to take out and refit. It’s not instant, but to take out, empty half a forest and refit it only takes a couple of minutes.

pennine
    Free Member

I originally bought these for my Insignia estate but now reside in my Zafira Tourer. Heavy duty rubber
    Boot liner

finishthat
    Free Member

I have a fitted rubber mat with lip in estate car (was given it ) – the mat holds itself in place with lots of little rubber nibs that dig into the carpet ,
    the lip is not an issue as it is soft – the problem is that the thing weighs about 15kg – Heavy rubber – it is physically very difficult to move anywhere or fold – so watch out for that .

It is one of these http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_68&products_id=464

orangespyderman

I have a hatchbag (in my Berlingo) and I’d buy another one in a flash if I changed cars. Fabulous things; a good idea, and well made.

matt_outandabout

We have similar to these throughout the Galaxy – boot and footwells. Just heavy duty rubber, no edging. Easy to pull out and hose down, or hoover in place.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Rubber-Boot-Mat-liner-for-MERCEDES-E-CLASS-08-/152139941279?hash=item236c3f459f:g:~RYAAOSwQJhUej1y

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member
    catnash
    Free Member

Used to like hatchbag. Until I tried Rhino bloglines. Just that bit better.

mt
    Free Member

Agree on the bootbuddy.

benp1

Tarp is definitely out, I’d like something more elegant than that. Tarp is fine for when I borrow a car and want to lob a bike in

Hatchbag is the front runner for a liner having read this review on the Rhino liner

For you folks with a rubber mat, how tightly can you roll it? It’ll need to fit behind the backs of the 2nd and 3rd row of seats (they face away from each other) so needs to be pretty small. Need to measure it to be sure

For those with the hatchbag, can you fold the sides down to the base, and the base then up to the back? That would let me lift the 3rd row of seats up without having to remove the hatchbag. Can then pop it back then the seats are away and won’t have to remove too much of it.

In some ways a removeable rubber base with more permanent sides (and front and back) might work a bit better

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I know you’ve just said a tarp is out but I keep one of these in the back of the car which can quickly be unrolled and put in place, is waterproof, good for keeping dog hair off the car (black lab owner here too) and works for keeping the bike off the trim too. I also have a tarp to bung on top should I need to put two bikes in and keep metal from metal (or carbon etc)
    and it’s a rather efficient picnic blanket too
    yours for under a tenner

benp1

Do you know what, that’s actually a rather good idea!

bluebird
    Free Member

Another vote for hatchbag, we’ve got one in our estate and it’s brilliant.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I got some cheapish artificial grass when our local B&Q was shutting down, there was enough on the roll for all the footwells and the boot of our V70!

butcher

Interested in the same question, so I’ll keep an eye on the thread.

Boot liners aside though, a good tip I picked up for dog hair was to don a pair of Marigolds and rub the interior down with them. Lifts the hair right off better than anything else…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I got some cheapish artificial grass when our local B&Q was shutting down, there was enough on the roll for all the footwells and the boot of our V70!

Now there’s an idea! 😀

tonyg2003

Hatch bag for our 2013 eclass estate. It still looks pristine underneath despite two occasionally very muddy Terriers. Although they reside in a cage in the boot.

benp1

Waterproof blanket (picnic or pet) in black is a great option that I’m exploring

Low tech, simple and cheap solution is good in the short term

Bikes tend to go outside the car anyway

Taken from my previous post –
    For those with the hatchbag, can you fold the sides down to the base, and the base then up to the back? That would let me lift the 3rd row of seats up without having to remove the hatchbag. Can then pop it back then the seats are away and won’t have to remove too much of it.

benp1

Quick follow up

I spoke to Hatchbag who said that it’s not a quick job to put it in and take it out because of the way the sides attach

Checked other boot liners and felt that it would be too much of a faff as well

In the end I ordered a PVC boot tray and a mat to fit it (the nicest one they had), as well as a steel bumper protector to stop the bumper getting too scuffed

Fitted it today. Tray and mat fit very nicely and means I don’t need to bother with a dog bed inside the car like I used to. Black dogs and black interior mean hair won’t be so noticeable and I can hoover the back every now and then.

Tray and come out and mat can be used on it’s own too. Whips straight out as it’s made to fit and not attached in any way

So all in pretty happy, though only just fitted it so time will tell. All ordered from carmats4u

Tracey

We have the same set up, works great with dog, bike and any other dirty stuff. Mat in tray is easy to clean or wash. Border Collie that is always wet or muddy or molting.

Sundayjumper

I found it wasn’t just the boot floor that gets mucky, but all up the sides too with hair. Pale dog / dark carpet. On that basis, next time I have a car worth protecting, it’ll be a hatchbag or similar.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Bought an Over the Top boot liner years ago. It’s now on to a third Volvo, having outlived two! Money well spent, IMO.

This exactly. Ours are > 18 years old and still look great. I use one in conjuction with a hard liner and the boot is completely dirt free.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Weird. My Hathbag just tears off at the Velcro on the sides. Though there’s Velcro straps around the headrest. It’s not that much faff.

benp1

Final update to this, seeing as I posted a link to this thread when a similar question turned up and I’ve had it a while (plus it got seriously tested over a long weekend in Snowdonia including muddy walks and a trip to the beach)

It’s working out pretty well
    – very robust so far, no problems at all
    – There are a couple of very tiny bits of carpet that aren’t covered due to the lip of the liner, I’ve put a bit of duct tape on the carpet to protect it (all black interior)
    – stainless steel boot strip is excellent, definitely worth it. Handy for when sitting on the edge of the boot or putting shoes/boots on
    – carpet is VERY thick, really comfy. Not so good for cleaning up when a dog is sick on it though! Had to get a carpet washer on it and do it twice, including soaking it in detergent in between. Finally got the smell out!
    – I often stick a little rug or similar on top that I can take out and shake so the little bits of mud/sand etc can be ejected more easily

Overall very pleased with it

matt_outandabout

We have thick rubber, cut to shape, but not velcroed or lipped. I can remove it and hose down, or roll it up. It has worked really really well for a family of 5 with bikes, boats and walking boots…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Car boot protection (liners/mats)’ is closed to new replies.