Car Audiophiles – Android tablet or car stereo?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car Audiophiles – Android tablet or car stereo?
  • Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

Hopefully a quick question. I have a Nexus 7 with a broken screen and a need for a new car stereo. I have a rubbish double DIN one in there at the mo, and I’d love to change it to one that I can listen to DAB radio, Spotify, use a sat nav and look though the reversing camera on.

Is it worth spending £80 to get the Nexus repaired (smashed digitizer), all the bits I need (DAB aerial, OTG hub, digital to audio adaptor) and then spend an afternoon hooking it all up, or should I spend the £80 on a cheapy Chinese unit off eBay?

I don’t mind doing the handiwork myself!

EDIT: Mods – can you change this to non-bike related please?

sammysquid

what car is it for?

Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

Vauxhall Vivaro crew cab van.

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

I’ve got a cheap Chinese in the van, well not cheap but it’s crap. I’m contemplating a return to the bog standard t5 stereo over this one as the sat nav is about the only thing that works well on it but it takes 10 minutes to load. The music sounds terrible, Bluetooth is hit and miss and dab reception is non existent.

In the car I’ve got the basic stereo, with a dock for my iPhone I’ve hard wired in. So much better, the iPhone does everything I need from audio to dab to sat nav, and the oem stereo sounds so much better, not to mention the interface is a lot easier than the Chinese one to navigate when you’re trying to drive.

Guess which way I’d vote…. however I wouldn’t repair your old phone, just use your current one. I had an old phone in the car for a while but it’s just easier to have the one.

Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

Any more advice before I get to repairing my Nexus tablet?

Premier Icon twonks
    Subscriber

Can the Nexus cope with charging and OTG at the same time?

This is a problem for most phones as they can’t, but not sure about tablets.

The volume control might be a pain to use, and it has to be mounted somewhere ergonomically yet removable to prevent scroates having it away if and when you park somewhere iffy.

If you can get over this, and have external amps / and / or a DSP, it can sound very good indeed and certainly much better than any Chinese head unit.

Milkie

Deja Vu… Google Nexus Car Sat Nav, there are a few ROMS that you can use. I don’t think the sound quality from the headphone jack is very good. I would probably go with a car stereo or amp with a Bluetooth receiver for the Nexus sounds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car Audiophiles – Android tablet or car stereo?’ is closed to new replies.