Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car Audio enthusiasts. Head unit advice
  • womble72
    Free Member

I have a Honda Crv (2002) and the satnav head unit has died. A replacement Honda unit costs the earth and the satnav was never that good anyway so I’m gonna replace it with a standard cd player. It’s a double din size unit and thought this from halfords might be good enough Alpine
    Are Alpine still a good maker of car stereo stuff?

Jamie
    Free Member

For the record, you don’t have to go for another double din. You can get blanking plates that will allow for a single din unit, which would give you more choice.

I swapped the double din factory unit out of my Fiesta and went for a Kenwood + iPod living in the glove box.

womble72
    Free Member

Yes, thanks Rich, that’s the one. Looks like a good deal. Gonna go get one today and see if I can fit it myself…. Hopefully I won’t run in to too much hassle.

soma_rich
    Free Member

usually modern cars have a standard ISO mount for stereos. Not looked behind my Volvo’s head unit yet though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve bought that one, got an ex-display one for £62!

You’ll (probably) need:

Fascia addapter (unless the honda is a propper double DIN)
    Wiring addapter
    Stalk addapter (if you have steering wheel controlls)
    Ariel addapter
    ‘Keys’ to remove the old one

So about another £30 of stuff

TBH I wish I’d just paid halfords the £30 for fit it + whatever the bits would have cost from them (probably another £40) and saved myself a world of hastle buying all the bits seperately and I still haven’t gotten arround to fitting the blasted thing because I’ve been sent the wrong ariel addapter.

womble72
    Free Member

Nice one Jamie, thanks for that. I’d never considered an adapter. Hmmmmmm it seems my search is not over 🙂

womble72
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon, what car are you fitting it into?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

C-max, Car audio stuff seems to make mountainbikes look ‘standardised’. Mines ended up with about 2ft of addapters to plug together.

Stereo -> something (ISO maybe) -> something -> steering controll addapter -> little black box -> steering controlls.

I’m actualy worried that all that isn’t going to fit behind the dash!

I asked a shop on ebay (liquidice-2008) what to get and they priced up a kit with all the relavent addapters so it should all go straight in, assuming the stereo itself fits, the mounting doesn’t need reinforcement, all the wiring is correct, and I’ve not yet found anything in any of the boxes that resembles the earth lead from the instructions!

womble72
    Free Member

Ha Ha Ha ha excellent. Yes, it’s never just a straight swap.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car Audio enthusiasts. Head unit advice’ is closed to new replies.