Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car Audio Conundrum
  • northernerindevon

In the Landy I currently have a Kenwood head unit running 4 speakers (2x front & 2x rear) and a small amp running a sub; heck, if I can’t go fast then I’ll have my muzak loud, helps drown out the racket of the engine!

I am wanting to install a pair of tweeters in the dash top but am unsure how to wire them in; is it feasible to simply piggyback off the 2 front speakers. I’ll make sure the tweeters include an active crossover. I’ve looked around various car audio forums and don’t seem to get a ‘simple’ answer.

Any STWers able to shed some light on this for me?

Cheers

captmorgan
    Free Member

Active crossovers go between the line level outputs of your head unit and power amps not direct to speakers.

If it was me I’d buy a cheep ish set of component speakers that will come with a matching passive crossover.

slowoldman

If it was me I’d forget about trying to get decent audio in a Land Rover. You may as well put a tranny on the front seat. But if you do go for it you’ll need some directional cable and polished fuses.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you just took the 4 inch speakers out the dash pointing at your feet… You would be better off already 🙂

Ive got a pair of sony 6x9s between the seat and alpine 3.5 inches in the dash powered off an old sony cdx headunit- 4×45

Louder than i need it to be its essentially in a massive bouncing boom box. Trying to achieve any kind of audio profiling inside a landrover is just madness.

northernerindevon

Trail_Rat – its ex-military so front speakers aren’t in the dash (always seemed an odd place for them to me!). They are in the headlining.

Cheapish components look like the way to go then and I’ll make sure to get some directional cables and polished fuses 😉

Cheers.

andyl
    Free Member

You may as well put a tranny on the front seat.

I guess it’s an option if you like live music

trail_rat
    Free Member

Might get a surprise when you go for 4th gear mind you ll..

andyl
    Free Member

Might get a surprise when you go for 4th gear mind you ll..

😯

😆

slowoldman

Thanks andyl – I was expecting such a response as I typed.

andyl
    Free Member

Happy to oblige

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car Audio Conundrum’ is closed to new replies.