Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car Audio – basic questions
  • druidh
    Free Member

I’ve bought a 3-year old car with a fairly basic CD-tuner in it. I’m not after boombastic sounds, just a wee bit more functionality. So far, I’ve seen head units with MP3 CD, USB and SD Card options. There are tons to choose from, so just picking that is a nightmare on its own. However, I’m wondering about compatibility with the existing speakers. The manual says “Maximum power: 4 x 40W”. Do I need to limit myself to this or can I get away with just not turning the volume up to 11?

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and should I really be looking at DAB radio now?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, should be fine. At worst the speakers will start to distort at high volume, in which case turn them down a bit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

The speakers will be fine. I wouldn’t bother with DAB, because reception is still flakey on the move. I’d spend the money on a decent iPod/MP3 interface.

Its worth considering if your going to get SatNav, as some of the units have mp3 interfaces etc and may duplicate functionality.

Did you go for the multipla?

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – registered Nov ’05 but not on the road until March ’06. Only has 36k on the clock. Already had a trip to Inverness and it was great. Handles remarkably well. Need to get mats, mudflaps and some decent sounds though 🙂

If I want SatNav, I’ll likely opt for a stand-alone unit, or use my phone. USB or SD card for the head unit seems like a good option though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

output from the head unit is only the max, all car speakers are the same impedance so you can happily interchange, just dont turn it to 11 as you say 🙂 The only problem I found (my 306 one is playing up) is that I cant get any that will interface with my on-wheel controls, which is frustrating as I only just got used to enjoying them!

Rolls
    Free Member

coffeeking – what make stereo?
    you’ll find at all of the big players do leads that will allow the interface to work – but they are normally about 40 quid…

Swayndo
    Free Member

druidh, I got a nice Sony unit fitted in my A2 the other week. It has USB, AUX in and bluetooth connectivity. Also connects with my phone when I go in the car and has a wee mic built in. It was £130 including free fitting at Halfords and I reckon it’s cheaper now. I connect a 20gb mp3 and a portable DAB to it for massive choice and flexibility. Must eBay that CD autochanger.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Same here, another Multipla driver.

Will any stereo with an ipod plug let me use my ipod, or is there more to it than that?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Here’s what I have.

My MP3 is plugged in via USB and the head unit scrolls all track details. You can search your library from the head etc.

I also use a CDRW with MP3 data for several albums with track details and my phone’s music library (8GB memory) is also accessed via Bluetooth.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Druid, only problem with not changing the original speakers is that they will be cr*p, so you probably won’t get a great sound just by changing the head unit.

I recently had a new MP3 system put in by Ray Smith’s in Edinburgh – it’s absolutely the dogs danglers. Really nice bunch of guys, very professional and good after sales service as well. Have a chat with Paul

druidh
    Free Member

Eek! Just looking through ebay and found a link to a 4-way charger. Bit of a funny photo to “illustrate” it tho…

ebay

scaredypants

LOL

“we have beautiful skin, beautiful faces…and the Brazilians are finished”

how long does a Brazilian take ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car Audio – basic questions’ is closed to new replies.