Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Car advice for a Pendle 4 bike towbar rack
  • gravelrash

Anybody got a pendle 4 bike wheelrack mounted on a towbar? I’m interested to find out what size estate car i need to carry it without the front end bouncing with 4 adult bikes on it.

iamtheresurrection

I missed the smiley mate – are you kidding?

When you say four bikes, do you really mean baby elephants. Can’t see the car bouncing otherwise – until you have 50 Cents front suspension…

Oh, and 😉

Marmoset
    Free Member

Any car would bounce around with that on the back – ideally you’d want one with a high noseweight rating for the towbar – less likely to be affected by the weight.

To minimise the effect,just put the heaviest passenger up front!

gingerflash

I guess something with a big heavy engine. It’s not just the weight of the bikes, but that they’re held a long way behind the rear wheels.

iamtheresurrection

Eh? Really? I had a Pendle 4 bike wheel support rach and carried four normal bikes on it without giving a second thought.

I took it a bit easier than I would normally, mainly because of the value of the bikes. I can’t say I ever really thought there was that much of an effect (on a little Golf at the time). Am I missing something?

pennine
    Free Member

I used to have a Pendle 3 bike rack on my 2 ltr estate. Basically, load up and forget – apart from reversing 🙂 Seriously though, it was fine.

Should have mentioned car was a Vectra estate

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

anything with 75kg+ nose weight. basically you are looking at large estates and 4x4s

gingerflash

When ours is loaded up with 3 bikes and a bootful of gear I can tell that the front wheels have a little less grip than normal.

gravelrash

The problem is the only experience I have of carrying it is on my LWB transit motorhome. 4 bikes + 4 blokes + luggage etc and the front end becomes a little light when the fuel tank gets less than 1/2 full. This could be the additional weight of the motorhome stuff though, I guess the van is already quite laden without the bikes etc. I’m looking at getting something like a focus or mondeo estate, it will probably be ok, just wanted any users views.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Car advice for a Pendle 4 bike towbar rack’ is closed to new replies.