Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 'Capping' trees. What do I need to know?
  • Pook

This weekend, despite the wind, I’m going to take the tops off three mature trees in our garden. Anything I particularly need to know to avoid killing them?

easygirl

Make sure there are no protection orders on them!
    I started cutting one down and there was

footflaps

Also, if you’re in a Conservation Area you’ll need planning permission.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stealthcat

What kind of tree are they? Some may cope better than others…

bigjim

They might look a bit odd. My old man is obsessed with doing this and the garden is full of ugly half trees. Depending on what they are they might not regain their proper habit.

Jakester
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Also, if you’re in a Conservation Area you’ll need planning permission.

Not strictly correct – you do need local authority permission, but it’s a different process to planning permission. It’s the akin to applying if the tree has a TPO on it.

footflaps

Not strictly correct – you do need local authority permission, but it’s a different process to planning permission

Not in the conservation areas in Cambridge it’s not, you have to apply for PP to cut a tree down.

Eg this is a neighbour’s application….

Bunnyhop

I thought it was better to chop either in autumn/later summer, or spring/early summer. Maybe someone with better knowledge will come along soon.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

What kind of trees are we talking? If they are spreading broadleaves they’ll look weird and unbalanced if you don’t prune thoughtfully, shortening side branches and selectively thinning. If they are tall spiky but not ever green – birch trees etc. then at this time of year there probably isn’t much harm you can do to the tree. How you lower the bits you cut off and how you make sure you are safe from rebound etc. is more of a concern. Ever greens give them a good old disturbance first and make sure there aren’t any sheltering birds. Be careful if you’re taking side branches out of those too – some kinds never ever green up again and you’ll end up forever with brown patches.

Are you climbing said trees in gale force wind? It’s possibly safer to do that in those conditions with rope and harness than risk a sail like ladder …

Pook

It’s the tall one with the berries on the right, and the twiggy one in front of it

Jakester
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Not in the conservation areas in Cambridge it’s not, you have to apply for PP to cut a tree down.

Eg this is a neighbour’s application….

Well, I don’t know how every LA treats it, but it’s an application for consent to do works under s211 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/8/section/211

http://planningguidance.planningportal.gov.uk/blog/guidance/tree-preservation-orders/protecting-trees-in-conservation-areas/section-211-notices/

It’s not a formal application for planning permission, however, because if the notice is not determined within 6 weeks by the LA, the landowner can do the work.

I suspect what you’ve found is the record held by the LA, which is convenient to include in the register of planning applications.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘'Capping' trees. What do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.