Canyon strive es 8.0

Home Forum Bike Forum Canyon strive es 8.0

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Canyon strive es 8.0
  • oldbloke

Had one for a year. Climbs better than I thought it would and has given plenty of fun as well as all day riding in that time. Only complaint is that the front mech collects any muck going so some rides have had to involve gardening stops. Frames come up small on their measuring system. 6’2″ and it said Med, but my large feels right.

marco

I have one and love it. I rode a Trek fuel ex 8 before and the canyon climbs just as well as that, if not better. And coming back down is awesome too!
    i put some conti baron tyres on as the schwalbe were just too much, but apart from that its all original spec.
    Just buy one, you really wont be dissapointed, and after all its only a bike!

cycl1ngjb

Thought seriously about getting one of these a month or two back – what put me off in the end was the waiting time to get one.

Just checked the site & you’re looking at between 6 – 15 weeks wait depending on size/colour. I did e-mail Canyon to see if there was any chance of getting one sooner – their response was “check the website for availability”

maff11

Hi everyone just need a bit of help and advice, I am very close to buying a canyon strive es 8.0 the problem is there is not much info out there on them, just wondering how people are getting on with them? I currently ride a stump jumper and looking to upgrade so I can have a bike which can cope with uplift days to! I know the spec is great just hope it will climb as well as my bike at the mo. Any advice and comments would be great

maff11

Thanks for the comments, I’m not to worried about the waiting times as long as I get it sometime within the summer, just wondering if it’s a bit to much bike for me? I live in south Wales and ride a bit of trail centre and natural stuff, I am hoping to get more into a bit of Downhill, not to heavy but hopefully the bike will take it as my bike at the mo can handle a day or two but any more may take its toll!

maff11

I’m 5’8″ buy the way and was going to go for the medium frame, think this should be ok

rondo101

Ordered mine in February. Due for delivery towards the end of May.

Having read as much as I could find on sizing & having pedalled a medium Nerve around a car park (it felt cramped), I (perhaps unwisely) ignored Canyon’s recommendation of a medium for my 5’11” frame & opted for a large. Hoping that it fits or I’ll be waiting at least another 4 weeks for a medium.

I’ve also gone over the “is it too much bike” deliberation & decided that if it is, I’ll just have to ride bigger trails.

maff11

They recommended a small on the size guide for me but I’m ignoring this and going for a medium anyway. I can’t get over the price for the es8.0 any other company the bike would be a 3 grander! I agree with you about the ‘to much bike’ issue I got a 140 mm now so 160 mm is not massively more, maybe a bit more fun!

maff11

Just another question heard a lot of people talking about ordering another front mech with the bike? Not sure why could anyone enlighten me on this, thanks

maff11

Mech hanger I meant sorry!

Premier Icon postierich
    Subscriber

the spare mech hangers come from Germany so you might have to wait a while,so might as well get one with the bike!

maff11

Ok thanks going to order it this week will be ready in week 24 so it’s says on the canyon website! Gonna finance it with a little help from the sale on my 2009 stumpjumper, any buyers? Lol

marco

Maff11
    Just to add
    i’m 5’8″ too and went for a small
    Its a perfect fit as they are relatively big bikes
    Thought you should know

maff11

Thanks marco,, i will bare that in mind,where and what stuff do u ride? How’s the bike? Do you have this years or last years? Can’t wait to get one, it will be nice to get out on the trails with a bike which not many people have too!

showerman

it is the cost of replacing the mech hanger thats the problem they rip you on the postage so you may just order one now….just dont forget were you left it.

maff11

Where abouts on the order pages are the meh hangers? Can’t seem to find them that’s all I can see is a mech hanger screw? How much do they cost? Thanks for the advice

maff11

Finally ordered it due week 24, will post photos and a review, can’t wait!

londonpride

Have you seen Dirt’s review in their Feb issue? Steve Jones did the ESX 9 LTD and loved it. He said same as others here that medium a bit small although thats what Canyon recommended and he would go for a large. Loved the frame and handling and really balanced. He didnt mention climbing ability but getting up them quick is not what this bike was designed for.

If want more climbing ability maybe look at the Nerve AM – have just ordered mine!

maff11

Thanks for that showerman, now I’m not sure what number hanger it is? Will I have to phone Cullen or can I attach it to my order?

maff11

Just a note to everyone regarding the mech hanger phoned canyon today and they said you only need the replacement screw, this is designed to brake and that’s what’s needed to be ordered. Think it’s about 3 quid.

nobbyq

hi I’ve got a strive and i would order a screw and the hanger as i broke mine and as the screw came out it ripped the thread on the hanger to bits ,so best to have both as it took over a week to order

maff11

cheers for that, what do you think of the bike?

nobbyq

I think its great , cant compare to any others as its my first full sus , but its quite. Burly so not a racer

maff11

Hi guys having now ordered the bike just wondering if there any upgrades recommended to reduce weight or shoddy spec?

oldbloke

Wheels. The rear hubs are the issue according to a friend who has become an unwilling expert on their design and failings. I’ve had no desire to change anything on my 2011 ES8 and if you look at the weight saving vs the next model up you’re not going to achieve anything by minor tinkering for sensible money.

maff11

Delivery for my bike is week 24, not to sure if they come any earlier! Is this the date they are finished in the factory or this this the date of the week it’s delivered?
    Was also wondering whether I should take off my brand new hope headset I have on my stumpy and keep it for the new bike or whether to let it go with the bike when I sell it?

alpin

i’ve got a Torque on order. it should have been here sometime this week, but i recieved an email yesterday saying it’ll turn up sometime next week.

others recieve their bikes earlier than the estiamted delivery week. might arrive sooner if you send the money off earlier. maybe. i don’t know…..

mcboo

Anyone have one of their bike boxes? £180 for a solid box.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/shop/?category=Z07&item=30375

maff11

Glad I ordered when I did the delivery date has increased by 2 weeks!

maff11

Hi guys rode my mates pitch today and think its the same weight as the strive , was a bit heavier than my stumpy and I slightly shorter stem, think this is going to be what the strive will be like? May take a bit of getting used to, went on a beast of a ride today just hope I’ll be able to cope with the distance on the new bike!

maff11

Just a quick update on the bike, Ive been on the canyon website and noticed that the price has been dropping! This is due to the unstable euro, so I cancelled my order then reordered and saved myself £70! Just to let you all know if you have a canyon on order. The delivery time worked out to be the same but I think I just got lucky there

squiff

maff11

What does the CW mean on the delivery bit when checking on delivery dates?

maff11

It means current week

Premier Icon Dogsby
    Subscriber

Calender week.

maff11

Just had an email off canyon the bike is on its way! Does anyone know how long it takes to be shipped? I’m going on holidays Sunday and it’s scheduled to be delivered Monday, just thought people may have had them a bit earlier

miguel73

Maff when did you order yours and how long was the wait time. I ordered mine a week ago but still have another 5 weeks to wait! 🙁

mikey74

Any idea how they are on DH tracks?

I’m thinking about getting the 7.0 to replace my SX Trail that can also pedal all day.

maff11

Ordered mine the end of April, the date they gave me was week 24 and that is bang on! Need to sort some other delivery date out we are going away Sunday, gutting. Hope they ride good on DH track! most of the reviews I’ve read say they can handle it, that’s part of the reason why I got one was to do uplift days

DeeW

Thinking of one of these myself. Apparently a review in February Dirt magazine. Anyone got a copy they could scan for me please?

davewoods33(at)hotmail.com

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Canyon strive es 8.0’ is closed to new replies.